Please stop selling level boosts to free players

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Knuttard, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Knuttard New Member

I just got back after years of abscence, and I thought I should level up an old alt that I boosted to 100 a few years ago. I started off by travelling to Panda to get those quests going, lo and behold, you have to have all access to do those quests, you also have to have all access to buy anything from the vendor there.
    Personally I will get all access on monday, so its just a minor inconvenience for me. But it got me thinking - I remember that I dropped this alt almost instantly, due to the fact that it turned out to be the worst character boost in the history of gaming, I turned sad in the face and grey in the hair just reading through the list of all I had to do to to make the character relevant.

Anyways, I noticed that you can buy the character boost even on a free to play account, and it feels borderline like a scam if the progress of their freshly bought boosted character is locked behind all access.

End of rant, I am going back to my cave now.
    Mizgamer62, Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

to get 120 content you have to buy expac but you dont have to be all access, you can be free to play
    Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  3. Knuttard New Member

I know that^^
    Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  4. Knuttard New Member

My rant might not be up to date, since my last expack was the planes of magic one. Have they now fixed the levelboosts so that you dont have to go back and do tons and tons of old content? In that case, disregard everything I said. Back then you had a veritable grindfest ahead of you just to get the character relevant. The pandaquests where step one on a very long list iirc. And like I said, today I noticed that the pandaquests are locked behind the paywall, wich, if they still need to be done, is very bad news for a f2p player who just bought a boost.
    Mizgamer62 and Soara2 like this.
  5. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Are you referring to the faction grind for Planes of Prophecy?
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Bludd Well-Known Member

yes you have to be all access to do the panda quest
    Soara2, Geroblue and WhysperWynde like this.
  7. Knuttard New Member

Partly yes, that is not the big grind I meant though, there is a long list of things you need to grind through after boosting a character, at least there was back when I boosted this one. I just thought it odd that they locked the pandaquests behind the paywall, since every guide I have read stresses that you should start with those.
    Mizgamer62 and Soara2 like this.
  8. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Please don't. I have leveled enough shadow knights the regular way and if I want another one, I want the option to buy or get with expansion the boost for it. Also 2 hours of faction grind to hit lvl 110 is not a grind. That is fast enough and definately not a grind, unless you are doing it on a bunch of characters, and even then, that is our choice to do that and not a grind in the game. I complain after I do 29 char on anything, but it is my choice to make it a grind. This new signature line however is a grind, and an almost impossible uphill with the one shotters.
    Boosted? - Visit class trainer, get spells including adornment reclamation. 3 minutes
    Expansion? - If you have it, go to Myrist Library after you do the little coin in the mail access quest 3 minutes and visit ascension trainer to get started 3 minutes. Then Do the side quests for BoL up to 2 hours depending on how you fair on the harder access quest at 110 to hit 120. Buy your epic 2.0 spells in Sanctus Seru 5 minutes. Then start the horrifying signature line for the new expansion. The rest of your life (I am exaggerating). Then from my understanding, PQ's and solo's until you have good enough gear for heroics.
    Schmetterling, Karamella and Breanna like this.
  9. Randelthor New Member

Please explain "Also 2 hours of faction grind to hit lvl 110 is not a grind." Also a recent returnee here and I cannot go from 100 to 101 in 2 hours! Methinks I am missing out on something???? Thx for the wis boost!
    Strings and Soara2 like this.
  10. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Ok, so at 100, if you have the expansion, you can go to plane of magic and do side quests to reach 110 in roughly 2 hours, this of course is with vitality, AA set to 0 and an experience potion from /claim (for older accounts). If you do not have at least PoP expansion, you are unable to level past 100. Best /claim items I always do from the gate are year 4, 5, 6. These give enough potions as well as CoV (call someone to you or you to someone in group) thingy, the moppet billy (which shrinks you) and the hammer of adept hands (refills tradeskill vitality) and the orb of concentrated memories (fills adventure vitality).
  11. Adept Active Member

If your account is not old enough to claim the hammer or orb to refresh tradeskill/xp vitality they can also be purchased with 10 loyalty tokens each.

If you go all access and access the panda merchant then no need to worry about visit ascension trainer, just get the ascension potions from panda merchant and you can max all 4 ascension before you know it - the level 20 ascension potion can be repurchased and used. (I used to find it rather embarrassing to buy the potions from panda and before I know it there is a global announcement of my great ascension achievement and people were sending congratulations. Dudes .. all i did was click some freebie potions! lol)

I have a hard time identifying what would be a list of grinding to do after using level up bauble, certainly I pretty much ignored previous content and just moved onto sig line. Even if you use bauble that takes you to level 100 it does not take that long to increase level doing pop quests to 110, and 110 to 120 in BOL is close to instant.
  12. Sogapa Active Member

There's really not any grinding required anymore to be able to start new content, if that's your gripe OP. Back in POP, I believe you had to do a ton of old content in order to get the epic 2.0 buffs, plus ensuring that you were able to level your ascensions, and such. Now, even if you are a free player, the ascensions level crazy fast, just by doing regular content (I'm assuming ftp get the ascensions). You can get your epic 2.0 buffs and spells by doing the signature line quest in expansion after POP- um myhrist library- and I think there's actually a merchant now where you can just buy those spells, though I don't know where the merchant is located.

The grinding comes in while trying to get all of your achievements so you can get geared enough to get into heroics, but at least at that point you are doing current expansion content.
  13. Sogapa Active Member

If you are trying to grind levels 100-110 either adventure or tradeskill by any method other than the adventure/ts signature line quests in POP then you are doing it wrong. The quest turn ins during those sig lines give tons of xp. Killing gives almost zero xp, even older heroics.
    Finora, Soara2, nooz and 1 other person like this.
  14. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

One can level up pretty fast but you are correct after 100 the slaughter method is non existent!
  15. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Thanks ALL for your Sage Advice, I didn't realize leveling from 100 to 110 was that easy. So off to do the questing/fighting now ... the fun part!
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Also I will note that doing the BoL access quest generally maxes out your AAs if you had them turned off before, turn them back on to 50 percent for this quest. It will make getting to 120 easier and you will have the AAs maxed. You generally should do this access quest at lvl 110. You may need help or a mercenary if you are not so skilled or just want to finish it faster then around 2 hours pre geared in non BoL armor. I usually help if asked in general chat for this. please help me run BoL access quest, etc in general should be sufficient to grab a new friend ) Max AA is 350 btw.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

ftp getting a level boost is one of the reasons I play. I do grind most characters, but not all of them. Urf.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  18. Soara2 Well-Known Member

k so guess it didn't take my whole life to finish the signature line. Got it done today. I DID have to get help killing the poached poacher, because he kept one shotting me, merc and pet while I was trying to pull him away from his spot. Thanks to the necro that showed up and killed it in no time flat, lol, anyway, asked for help in general chat and he showed up and destroyed it very fast! The rest of the named mobs were no trouble, but that guy was just so frustrating, first 7 times he killed me he just would not even try to move away from his spawn spot to go on a calmed creature, and then after that he did move, but always stopped and casted and bam all dead. I was so glad the necro showed up to help, actually about 5 players offered within the first 2 minutes of asking for help in general chat. Goes to show u, just ask and you should have no trouble finding help!
    Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  19. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Dang, just read the part where someone said you have to do the CD myrist library timeline for epic spells. This is not essential anymore. You can do the first part of the first quest on the BoL signature line to unlock the bee to use in the blinding. Get to 120 and buy from the merchant in Sanctus Seru.. Much easier and quicker. Have one account that still hasn't done the CD line, but they sure have their epic 2.0 spells. Tbh I am not sure if the bee is even necessary, I just like flying there instead of running that far killing all the trash. So from the blinding, take the bee to sanctus seru, it drops you off mid way and you have to click the bee again and pick Sanctus Seru. Run into the city, zone in and go to the left around the wall on your left, there are a few merchants there. The status merchant sells the epic 2.0 spells. It's no status cost and just 0 coppers. They will not sell them to you unless you are level 120.
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  20. Soara2 Well-Known Member

K so I knocked out the CD and BoL lines on the 4th account that didn't have it on a boosted character in RoS gear from the box. All of it took 15 hours to do including the collection from BoL. Now, can't kill the names yet for RoS, but I never claim to be the greatest player here. I made and bought hc gear hope it helps for the RoS line on that account. Anyway, you do have to do the BoL line for the new line, and I wanted the CD gear for appearance plus open up the zones there anyway. CD gear looks freaking awesome. Hope the info helps ease concerns about the old content grind. Also doing that maxed one ascension out just fyi.
    Breanna likes this.