Custom Battle Music

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Qwerts, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Qwerts New Member

Recently returned to EQ2. Loving it so far. I remember we were able to customize the battle music. I tried this but I noticed the updater will just re-patch to default files. Did Daybreak block the use of customization of battle music files?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

3. Tkia Well-Known Member

You need to make your customisations in a folder called 'custom_music' which you'll need to create. Within that you need to exactly mirror the name and the path of the file you're modifying to be the same as the original in the music folder. Anything you change in the default music folder WILL be overridden by the patcher each time you run it.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Qwerts New Member

Thanks for the responses. I have tried everything with no luck. I understand the naming the files exactly as they are worded in the actual folder but copying a file path is something new to me. Any other help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

You just need to set them up the same way, creating any sub-folders needed to get there.

So if what you want to customise is "music\zones\exp_13\file005.mp3" it needs to exist as "custom_music\zones\exp_13\file005.mp3", which would mean creating folders 'custom_music', 'zones', and 'exp_13' in order to get the right folder to drop your 'file005.mp3' into to get it to be found.

The worst part of it all that I've encountered is actually identifying the correct default file holding the music you want to replace so that you can duplicate it.
  6. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Combat music in this game is a more complex beast. Beginning with RoK it implemented an adaptive, dynamic combat music system that pulls from a series of music files based on the enemy's con and tier, and will change over time as the fight progresses according to how well you're doing. I'm not sure replacing these music files will result in an enjoyable listening experience. I'd imagine the fight music would become rather disjointed as fight conditions evolved over time.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there's a setting somewhere to turn that off. I remember seeing it, I just don't remember where :(
  8. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I remember the option to do so back when the feature was first implemented. Hopefully for the OP it's still buried in the options menu somewhere.
  9. Chrol Developer

The cacti in Diaku Corral have their own combat song...

Don't you dare change it!
  10. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Chrol's battle music is by Men Without Cowboy Hats.
    Breanna, Lateana, Bhayar and 2 others like this.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

You two are cracking me up.
    Breanna, WhysperWynde and ttobey like this.