[Suggestion] EQ2 Battle Pass

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Benito, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Dolgrin Active Member

This text offends my intelligence.

Analysis:
    With a simple pen and paper calculation someone can prove that this "suggestion" is a lose-lose for players and the company.
    The company has to sell gazzilions of battle passes to get a return of invest in developing this "suggestion"
    The players are forced to invest additonal cash to level up your mercs, familiar etc. and this every 3-4 month.

And finally:
    With early access many raids get blown up, because some players cannot or will not buy the battle pass.

Conclusion:
    (No comment)
    Lysia likes this.
  2. Bombs New Member

"Battlepass" system like Fortnite etc i could buy into if you guys could release it in conjunction with a re-launch type campaign of the game through relevant marketing to newer audiences. I'm a returning player, back around 6 months or so after 6 years out of the game, and the player base is on the mature side (including myself at 40 years old) and this Twitch type generation now who like to watch content creators while playing their favourite games seems to be almost non existent for EQ2, perhaps a partnership with some of the well known mmorpg streamers might give the population a boost.

I'd love to see this relaunch in conjunction with adding back PVP servers and/or Battlegrounds which i really do miss. I find myself with little to do at the moment outside of raid other than harvest or take part in mindless, skill-less PQ sessions, after 6 months back its already feeling like a bit of a task to log in some days.
  3. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I definitely could see a relaunch or marketing campaign especially with EG7 at the helm. EG7 themselves might want a more modern revenue model (Battle Pass).
    Bombs likes this.
  4. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

OMG .. worse yet! This Pack Idea is of RANDOM loot? NO NEVER! I hate Random! Never do it. All you ever get is the weakest, slightest things of whatever they claim you could get and NEVER the big ticket items! Random can rotate on itself!
  5. Lysia Active Member

nope -- I will quit subbing, forever, altogether and wait for Pantheon to get here -- no matter HOW long it takes ( and ps -- the real Alpha is coming this year )
  6. Jamzez Active Member

I think EG7 would want a more modern Everquest game before shelling out money for a marketing campaign.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I want to be clear that this Battle Pass, if successful, can lead to the phasing out of certain aspects of the marketplace (i.e. crates, spell upgrades). Thus, possibly changing part of the game model significantly (and for the better).

From the feedback so far, the "early access" and "fully trained mounts, mercs, and familiars" are the controversial bullet points. If limited edition (once-in-a-lifetime) cosmetics are a blowout success, then you can reduce (limit to one or 2 day early access and partial training) or cut the aforementioned incentives.

Interestingly, I got the idea of "pay for early access" from Pantheon and Ashes of Creation. From my understanding, most people have to pay between $100-$350 for "Founder Packs" to gain Alpha (early) access in those games.
  8. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

EQ2 feels like a weirdly modern game (ahead of its time). It may not be built on Unreal 5 or Unity engines. But it has years, depth, and experience to make up for it. EQ2 blows EQ1 out of the water in terms of complexity, graphics, and systems (housing, trade-skill). You can even argue EQ2 edges out WoW in some areas such as graphics and feel. For a game that was released in 2004, it will be interesting how to competes against the newcomers.

The EQ franchise as a whole is surprisingly stable - drawn from reactions by the MMO community such as Massively - based on the EG7 data dump.
  9. Jamzez Active Member

23,681 playing Elder Scrolls Online
    14,855 playing Black Desert Online
    14,182 playing Final Fantasy XIV
    8,543 playing Albion Online
    7,011 playing RuneScape
    6,869 playing Star Wars: The Old Republic
    5,809 playing Phantasy Star Online II
    4,970 playing EVE Online
    2,366 playing Planetside 2
    1,195 playing LOTRO
    538 playing DCUO
    237 playing EverQuest
    372 playing Dungeons & Dragons Online

168 playing EverQuest 2
    Everquest 2 is a shell of what it once was, adding a battle pass is not going to turn thing's around.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

My EQ1 server carries 450 people daily and 600-700 people on weekends in General Chat. And, from the EQ1 forums, other players are reporting record server numbers (2nd or 3rd General Chat holding 400 people each). Xegony, Firiona Vie, and top TLP servers (i.e. Aradune) probably range in the thousands of players in terms of weekly logins.

As a veteran Planetside 2 player (played with Matt Higby, current ASP Battle Rank 92), those numbers are way off. Connery (US West) and Emerald (US East) servers don't host thousands. We probably carry 200-300 on the week nights and 400-700 on Friday and Saturday nights. About 3 years ago, we probably held 2,000+ players on each US PS2 server. Though, Planetside 2 seems to be gaining popularity with Outfit Wars.

I bet there are 168 weekly active EQ2 users on Discord and the forums alone.
  11. Gelenor Well-Known Member

I win Benito Bingo.yet again. Another cross reference to games in the same portfolio as your evidence to shoot down another opinion on EQ2. Benito, be a little clearer in declaring your prior relationship with EQ before Dreamweaver bails you out again and deletes any opposition to your post.
    [IMG]

tps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/631182998884057099/811968204909445121/Benito_Bingo.gif

Honestly, accept your "constructive" suggestions and representations on behalf of EQ2 players is in some way influenced by your prior association with the franchise. Your repetition of the same "suggestions" to improve the game only distances you further form those who actually play the game.

Please!.. No more threats in direct tells to have me banned from forums. Just consider you stance to EQ2 to those who disagree with you. We are also entitled to our opinion.
  12. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

No thanks for a battle pass.

This statement is purely to put my opinion against the solution proposed by OP and has no other intent.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The poster that I quoted cited population numbers that covered 3 Daybreak games that I play and I was detailing the inaccuracies. (I also play Fortnite and CoD but those games aren't in the list). You can draw population estimates much more easily on EQ1 and Planetside 2. For EQ1, General Chat numbers and hub zones (e.g. Plane of Knowledge, Guild Lobby) with /who. For PS2, you can mouse-over hexes (number of 12-24, 48-96, 96+ battles) and enter a hex to be placed (e.g. #200). It is harder to discern the exact population data on EQ2 unless you do a systematic /who all by class, race, and/or level and that's often wonky (inaccurate); I've tried and missed players on Skyfire frequently likely due to /anon or /roleplay (which is like standard behavior), or when the /who all list populates beyond 20 people.

So what if I play EQ1, EQ2, and Planetside 2? My All Access membership and purchases supports the same company. FanFaire and SOE Live, in particular, brought people from those 3 games together primarily.
  14. Melt Actually plays the game

These are the only two I can speak on, and those numbers are 0% accurate for either. There were more people in just Vex Thal last night than 168.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

Were this to happen, I would 100% be on board. But it won't. If they were to add a battle pass it would be in addition to everything already on the store. It's corporate greed at it's finest.
  16. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

That's fine. I appreciate the civil feedback.
  17. Melt Actually plays the game

Don't get me wrong I do like Battle Pass systems, one game I play lets you earn back enough currency through it that it's basically a 1 time purchase if you finish it. I just couldn't see DBG giving up the massive cash cow that is crates, you'd have to sell a hundred thousand battle passes to match it.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Fair enough. It's possible that most very active people - specifically raiders - have or will have most of the top crate goods (Ergott, Mircus, and Blood Ember familiars).

The Battle Pass would cater to casual players and raiders. Cosmetics have cross-cleavage appeal. I don't know about other servers but many players on Skyfire seem to have a thing for cosmetics.

For the other proposed perks; a Battle Pass familiar, merc, or mount would be curated and aligned to stats based on quarterly expansion age (never overrides raid stats but hovers at Solo-Heroic) with a unique appearance. The idea of "early access" could be limited to a few days or weeks.
    Melt likes this.
  19. Jamzez Active Member

I wasn't trying to ruffle any feather's here, the number's I quoted was from steam player concurrent activity and as a casual player I would rather have a Quest Pass that you know would add actual content to the game .ie there are some of of us who will never strive to be in a raiding guild again so adding more inflated stats to the game is not a winning solution.

Just a side note for the dev team there has not been a new heritage quest since Kunark Ascending.
  20. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

So it's important to point out that these numbers are people launching the game through steam. Which as far as I am aware a majority of EQ and EQ2 players do not do.