Upcoming PvP server - Info & Issues

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Kazooooooooooo, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SevenShadows Member

Oh yeah no prob at all, I'm Stephens on Discord, no name change option on the eq2 server lol but alls good, I'm just happy PVP is actually happening! (I think The Nathan NAPALM YT channel might be dropping a vid soon too about the PVP server, so that'll help with some exposure)
    Siren likes this.
  2. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Just want to be clear, except for things like the guild halls and not doing seasonal, I don't believe lots of them are final decisions.
    Breanna and Siren like this.
  3. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

If you need a name change on discord DM me
    Breanna and Siren like this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

Ha! I immediately wondered about that :p but I didn't want to volunteer you. ;)
    Breanna likes this.
  5. SevenShadows Member

I put an edit in on that screen capture so folks know things are still being discussed and could change.
    Siren likes this.
  6. SevenShadows Member

Hey guys here's some proof that people are grateful to hear the news about the PVP server, lets all reach out and reply to those that have shown interest on old EQ2 pvp videos. One by one we'll bring'em back! :)

[IMG]
  7. krokous Member

Well, well, some good news. Hope that server will be permanent with lock at EoF
  8. krokous Member

And can you bring back "pvp token" drops as there were like 14 years ago during first PvP phase?
  9. SevenShadows Member

10. Storiesofold New Member

perma lock it at EOF, TRUE BOX ONLY. If they allow botting on this server it will fail very fast.
    Durzo and Frost Phoenix like this.
  11. Freddie_Mercury Member

If there is no developer that at least spends 1 hour per week devoted to dealing with PVP server issues.. then it will fail no matter what.

Previous servers showed this...
    The Dispatch bug proved that zero effort was put into that server by developers... zero point zero... and that bug single handedly destroyed the server right as it had the potential to get going.

So no matter what bugs or imbalances show up... and there will be some... as long as there is a devoted developer that spends at least a couple hours a week ironing out issues... the server has at least a little chance..

If we see, as has been with all the previous TLE PVP servers, that zero EFFS are given and zero time is devoted to PVP issues... it will die no matter the population
  12. Freddie_Mercury Member

the whole "the game better be perfectly balanced or else!!! blah blah blah" garbage is just that... the game was never perfectly balanced and likely never will be...

but as long as no game breaking bugs are exploited for very long... and they are fixed... there is a fighting chance

Game breaking bugs like day 1, hour 1, on Naggy 2.0 when the discovery XP bug was pushed live and a large portion of the server was 50 in an hour and then they "fixed" it by just merely nerfing the xp for the rest of the server... THAT destroyed the server on day 1... the rest of the server was left very slowly grinding up with zero PVP and almost no groups... and by the time anyone else got to near 50, those exploiters were in raid gear and nobody stood a chance...

Simple things like that... need to be instantly fixed...
    The whole "ZOMG, the Guardian hits 30% harder than before and its not fair!! WHAAAAAA!!!!" kind of crap... get over it... there always has been, and always will be a FOTM class... As long as its not a game breaking FOTM class abilities... see Dispatch above... then all will be fine... dont get your panties in a bunch
  13. DefeatedZ Member

So passive aggressive.

Can u sign my EQ2 t shirt pls
  14. Hoiyay Active Member

Just heard about this potential new pvp server coming up.

Is it a sure thing or just a rumor?

Any idea on the date it would be released?

Thanks,
    Hoiyay
    Siren likes this.
  15. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

It's a for sure thing. We were given a window of 1 to 6 months because they haven't decided on a date to release it yet. There will be a beta first. Also I recommend keeping an eye on official discord for information and discussing pvp with other players. https://discord.gg/UCgeCUsH
    Siren likes this.
  16. Atta Member

Since server population seems to be a problem that people keep mentioning, I have a question: How could we structure a server that caters to both PvP players and non-PvP players? Would it even be possible to create a PvP server that people who aren't interested in PvP would still enjoy? Being able to have complete PvP immunity if you just wanted to do PvE content would probably be bad idea, but maybe integrating some type of system where you could put effort into obtaining a temporary PvP immunity item might work. Although I could see how this would still fail as well. Server population is indirectly tied to the overall enjoyment of a PvP server, so catering to people that may not be interested in PvP but are still willing to play on the server might be a good solution to eventual population issues.

Also, is anybody interested in Arena PvP? Since PvP is generally a very competitive type of play style, having a ranked PvP arena system might be something that people would like. Have 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 6v6 ranked and unranked matchmaking systems where players can verse others to gain MMR. This could also be the place that implements some sort of PvP gear that is accessible all at once, and required for arena PvP in order to keep arena strictly skill based, where world PvP would combine PvP skill with overall character progression. I don't have much interest in faction or FFA PvP where item gearing can decide the outcome of a fight (and raid gear being basically required after a certain amount of time). But with equalized gear and stats, a competitive PvP arena would be able display players' true skill and combined with a reasonable Elo rating system could create a lot of amazing content overall. Obviously this would be contingent on a well designed matchmaking and Elo system, along with at least some sort of balance maintenance between classes.

Other ideas that could lead to long term success of a PvP server:

- Reduced mob EXP rates. Grinding through the same exact instance over and over every 10 levels is not a great way to encourage interactions throughout the world, and devalues a lot of the great content that is offered. Increase EXP gain from quests, discoveries, first time Named kills and decrease normal mob EXP gain.

-Remove all Pay-To-Win aspects of the game. No EXP pots from the marketplace, no purchasable mounts. Micro transactions generally hurt the overall gaming experience and gives some people an unfair advantage just because they can afford it (cosmetics in the marketplace are fine). If Darkpaw wants to maximize their revenue with this server, think about the longevity of the server that keeps people subscribed rather than implementing MTX that will have people leaving after a month or two.

-Reduce Travel ability. Make traveling a valuable commodity by limiting Bells, reinstating quest requirements for certain access to things like griffon towers, Thundering Steppes gate, etc. (basically revert the Halas Reborn Travel Revamp). Make mounts expensive or harder to obtain, and scale their overall speed based on level (add level requirements to faster mounts). By spending more time traveling from one location to another, it gives more chances at PvP interaction overall. This also will add more value to things like Wiz/druid port and class specific movement speed buffs. If everyone can just port to wherever they need to go, there isn't going to be as much player interaction overall, which is detrimental to a PvP server.

-Lock the server at EoF or RoK. This is self explanatory.

-Probably the most important feature I could think of: create a polling booth that polls specific changes to the server (such as the one in Oldschool Runescape that has seen a lot of success). Allow the players to directly participate in serious changes. For example, if some people have been complaining about SK dominance, but you aren't sure how the overall population feels about the class, Create a poll that players can access directly in the game, where they can vote Yes or No on their opinion of the class. Extracting player feedback and utilizing it to make decisions regarding the balancing and content of the game is a great way to make sure the server lasts a long time.
  17. Drew575 Active Member

i stopped reading your wall of text at this part: "Being able to have complete PvP immunity if you just wanted to do PvE content would probably be bad idea, but maybe integrating some type of system where you could put effort into obtaining a temporary PvP immunity item might work"

You don't want to pvp, don't play on the pvp server, end rant.

didn't read the rest. A bad starting idea indicates that there is probably more bad ideas included for sure.
    SevenShadows likes this.
  18. Atta Member

Ah yes, the hardcore PvPer that doesn't understand why nobody wants to play on their server, painfully confused as they search for the last remaining 3 players that still occasionally log on. Which is ironic seeing as you suggest FFA PvP in another comment, so you are at least aware of the issue I'm addressing. With many non-PvPers looking for a new TLE server to join since Kaladim has run its course, you might want to think of some ideas that entice them to join.

The suggestion I put forth was meant to spur conversation around the idea that we want to attract as many people as possible to the server. I even explicitly say that my suggestion is probably not a good idea. I'm guessing you didn't "read" the rest of my post because it demonstrates that I'm actually offering tangible solutions to the overall longevity of the server, instead of complaining about brigs countering your favorite class or whatever.
  19. Siren Well-Known Member

Atta,

If someone mainly just wanted to craft and play the market, I suppose they could just lock at adventure level 9, harvest carefully in the lower-aggro spots for each tier, and just craft/sell/collect glowies wherever they could.

I even met one guy on launch day of OG Naggy who proclaimed he was a complete pacifist: His only goal was to do every single quest available while dodging PvP. He just wanted the excitement of constantly looking over his shoulder while he quested. Not sure how that went for him over time, though. ;)

A Note for Dreamweaver: Please ask the devs to add in the crafting quest line NPCs manually so we can get advanced recipes for launch. Otherwise, all classes' spell crafting is worthless (journeyman only, really?). Recipe drops are so scarce in every crafting line they're just murder to get. The t3 Butcherblock crafting quest line isn't even in the game til EoF, never mind the rest. Thanks so much for even trying to pass along the message!
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Dpsfactor New Member

I think the bigger issue with this post is the part where suggesting more exp for discoveries like we didnt have that issue before
    Frost Phoenix and Siren like this.