[Suggestion] EQ2 Battle Pass

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Benito, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

To lessen the game’s reliance on crates and RMT. This idea is drawn from Fortnite’s dual Battle Pass+monthly subscription model and Planetside 2’s All Access+Campaign (or bundle) model. This idea plays to the strengths of EQ2's cosmetic and housing system (plus the power of Darkpaw's art team) as well as flexibility in the game engine.

EQ2 Battle Pass (2500-3500 DBC)

The Battle Pass would include:

• Early access to Game Update content (zone access or quest NPC)
    • 1 exclusive in-game familiar, merc, mount, or item (adornment, mount, or merc gear).
    • 1 spell upgrade or familiar training bauble
    • 3-4 exclusive cosmetics: 1 limited edition in-game cosmetic each month - unique recipes for cosmetics, suit of armor, helmet, illusion, familiar, house item, etc.

There would be no RNG and items will be advertised up front. The exclusive in-game item would be sidegrades or slight upgrades to include familiars with a unique proc such as Vyemm’s Protector (rezz proc) or “Jann Magi" (float buff). Mounts or mercs could come fully trained but slightly better stats depending on expansion age.

A new Battle Pass would be available every 3-4 months. The new offering does not need to be called a Battle Pass.

Thank you for your consideration.
  2. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

3. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

parissa, Lysia, Xianthia and 3 others like this.
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

parissa, Lysia, Xianthia and 3 others like this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

parissa, Lysia, Xianthia and 2 others like this.
  6. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

To be clear, EQ2 would be weaned off crates and other RMT to the Battle Pass.

Therefore, revenue would be derived mostly from cosmetics and only side-grades or very slight stat item upgrades. The 3-4 month cycle would allow the devs to better curate and control the stats so that it would not trivialize current content (expansion age).

This might be a feasible idea for EG7 who may want to follow Epic Games and others in capitalizing on heavy cosmetic purchases.

Note: Free Realms was heavy on a cosmetic revenue model.
  7. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Free Realms had that monetization model because the game was a social MMO with minimal minigame combat. It wasn't reliant on combat like EverQuest/2 is.
    WhysperWynde and Zynt like this.
  8. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

True. But Fortnite Battle Royale is pure combat and you cannot socialize (beyond Squad comms). Fortnite cosmetics generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. (You can apply the same analysis to Call of Duty, Valorant, Overwatch, or Destiny).

I feel like limited edition cosmetics can be successful on EQ2. Rare or once-in-a-lifetime cosmetics targets collectors, individualists, and people with the "fear of missing out" (FOMO).

Honestly, the Rancorous Slayer and Heroic Dragonrider bundle should have rotated out within 1 year.

Imagine 'Bunny Slayer Helm' reskin with flaming horns or Christmas lights, 'Hydra-Scale Helm' with breathing purple fire effect, or 'Fractured Crown of the Kromzek Kings' with a panoply of sparkling gems. People won't want to miss out and will buy the Battle Pass.

Additionally, people will keep logging in to check out the next Battle Pass.
  9. Nein Member

Is it purely cosmetics now or is it your "slight stat upgrades" and cosmetics? Because fully trained mercs/mounts, familiar potions, or any current expansion familiar/mount/merc is a LOT more than a "slight stat upgrade". You would know this if you actually played the game. Nobody in their sane mind should think this is a good idea when they're already money hungry.
  10. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

If you do not like a post, move on.
    Spectre, Dogwood and Breanna like this.
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I am offering solutions (cosmetic revenue model with side-grade or slight improvement). They could test an all-cosmetic Battle Pass initially or start with a side-grade item such as a familiar (i.e. 'Vyemm's Protector' with rezz proc or 'Chechin, of the Dark' with stealth proc) and slowly adjust to cosmetics (i.e. Bunny Slayer Helm, Hydra-Scale Helm, Fractured Crown of the Kromzek Kings reskins, etc.).
  12. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

13. Nilyana Active Member

Other games with battle passes, at least that I've played, you don't just get the stuff upfront. You've got to level the pass to earn the various rewards. How do you see that working with EQ2? The only game like an MMO I can think of that offers a battle pass is Fallout 76. They offered it for free, and IMO it was more of a pain than it was fun, I never bothered much with it.

But that leads into the issue of price. 25 bucks for a battle pass? Is this in addition to subscription prices, or to replace them? Because that's a pretty steep price for a battle pass. Especially if it's going to be an additional cost to the existing subscription. Apex Legends and Fortnite both offer their passes for around 10 bucks. And, at least in Apex, you earn enough money through the pass to pay for the next one. And it's a free game. With no expansion prices.

If you want them to move away from RNG, they can just... do that. They can sell specific familiars and cosmetic items without putting them in a random pack. They can even make them limited edition, or whatever else, through the marketplace. I don't understand the need for a new mechanic to do this.
    WhysperWynde and Siren like this.
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Fair points.

"Battle Pass" is more of a catchphrase in order to describe a similar but alternative revenue model.

They could create an NPC or zone devoted to the new Battle Pass system. It could mirror 'Familiars Wild' with a simple kill (named or set number) or collect task. This NPC or zone could only be available to Battle Pass owners and the reward (one-of-a-kind cosmetic) would be updated each month.

The price point won't necessarily be $25. Since players receive 500 DBC per month with membership, many people could - in theory - save 1500 DBC (3 months) to 2000 DBC (4 months). Therefore, they may only need to pay an additional $5-$10. Alternatively, they could charge $10-$15 instead of Daybreak Cash. Fortnite now has a monthly subscription service (Fortnite Crew) along with their Battle Pass.

I'll provide a more in-depth example in the coming weeks.
  15. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Please don't, its just another waste of time for something to try to milk players of more money.
    The game is nothing more than cosmetics already, this would do nothing more than add even more lipstick on a pig... until they can produce something more worthy than a free players value release, I would rather them focus on fixing the stuff they broke.

If they want a better revenue stream they need to start earning it. Yea??
    Zeddicious, Bombs, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  16. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I don't think its right that you are taking sides.. there is nothing wrong with someone posting against an idea and giving valid reasons why.
    Bombs and Zynt like this.
  17. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Cosmetics are not effectively marketed like Fortnite and other games. They need to create limited edition (once-in-a-lifetime) in-game cosmetics. This will generate lots of interest. It is low-hanging fruit.

For instance, if the 'Rancorous Slayer' or 'Heroic Dragonrider' bundle was released for 1 month then forever vaulted, you'd have lots of people jumping to purchase.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I hesitate to respond as Dreamweaver can speak for himself. But I believe there were posts that were threatening or "piling on" in nature.

Nilyana's post is an example of a fair, academic, and merit-based exchange (disagreement).

If you think I am receiving any special treatment, I have been subject to the same rules and consequences as everyone else in the past. I have listened to moderator warnings and actions, and changed how I respond by narrowly tailoring constructive feedback and avoiding direct (personal) disagreements. Even though I may disagree with dozens of recent posts on the forum (recent spike in what I regard as somewhat uncalled for or unfair criticism), I've held back my reactions to maintain decorum, respect, and the open, fair exchange of ideas. My footprint on the forums has been drastically reduced; I'd put it at a 70-80% reduction in my activity with the rest of my activity strictly focused on constructive feedback and merit-based comments. I'd like to lead by example (show respect) and I hope I can change discussions in a positive, edifying direction (i.e. offer a different point of view or solutions).
  19. Siren Well-Known Member

Gentle FYI: When you click on a poster's name and click Ignore, it still works after 16 years! Imagine that. ;)
    Dogwood and Breanna like this.
  20. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

I'm not taking sides, you can disagree with a post. Telling someone to stop posting on the boards or calling them a troll.. on either side are against the rules. Taking sides would be agreeing with the post. Which I do not, but that's my personal opinion.
    Gninja and Dogwood like this.