Discord Concerns

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tunes, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Tunes Member

[IMG]

This post on Discord was enough to get me booted from the channel.

No warning, no right of reply. Is it permanent?

As a paying customer how is this acceptable?

My post wasn't abusive. There was no swearing.

Is Discord only for praise? Is sarcasm forbidden? I'd very much appreciate some clarification of the rules.

At the moment it feels positively Orwellian. :(
  2. Flatline Well-Known Member

I got banned this morning for expressing the same sentiments as well...

The fact we can get censured on official company outlets for posting oppinions which are non abuse nor rude - unless verbiage like "im insulted that the RNG raid crates are considered a way to gear alts" or "you call it engagement i call it forced punishment" does raise concerns @dreamweaver @Jchan.

Then again, i now have one less thing to engage into (also i dont think engagement means what caith think it means)
    Wulfgyr and Tunes like this.
  3. Ryve Ryver'Fish

There are set rules:

But I'm not quite sure how either of your comments broke them.
    There is no consistent approach to moderating discord conversations, often the mentality is 'I don't like it' which then results in a ban, with no warning or chance of appeal/justification. Just poof.... you're gone.

I would encourage DPG to review the rules, to make sure they reflect the moderation approach. A policy/guidance for bans to provide a clear and consistent approach to bans is also desperately required.

We're adults, 'I don't like it' is not a professional approach to moderating a customer platform. Take it on the chin, count to five, talk about your feelings, think before you act, mummy's not angry she's just disappointed (these are common things I do with my 9 year old daughter to educate her on impulse control)

Ryver'Fish
    Zynt and Flatline like this.
  4. Flatline Well-Known Member

This above anything else THIS.

Currently there is zero engagement with your customers, there is BAN.
    No warnings, no "go sit in timeout" No nothing.

And the fun part is ... when banned as we all know, you're existence on the server is literally and physically wiped out
    All posts are removed and gone from the servers, not just the one that someone took offense over but your entire conversation history.

If all companies reacted like this to critique ..
    Ryve likes this.
  5. Bludd Well-Known Member

you probably just got kicked with a 24 or 48 hour timeout or something
    talk to dreamweaver
    Siren likes this.
  6. Ryve Ryver'Fish

It's not the first time either have been kicked 'for no reason'

FYI to be able to message someone to ask about being unbanned, you need to either share a server (which you no longer do when kicked/banned) or be on friends lists.... which doesn't help
    Flatline likes this.
  7. Flatline Well-Known Member

appreciate the comment Bludd, the point still stands. its an official company media/communication platform, the rules have not been broken. There is no reason for "anyone" to accept this, there is however sound advice in having a managable corporate standard to adhere to along with a "fair and even" playing field for all participants. Sort of comes with the turf of it being a DPG official platform.
    Ryve likes this.
  8. Drona Well-Known Member

There are rules for players but do we have rules for developers as to how they should act?

I hope a developer got their "feelings hurt" by a player comment is not ground for ban.
    Flatline likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Sending a PM through the forums here to dreamweaver would be your best bet.
  10. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

1. Dev kicks player for opinions not breaking rules.
    2. Player has to post on forums and/or reach out to Dreamweaver.
    3. Dreamweaver unbans player
    4. Devs get away with ridiculous moderation with no recourse
    5. Go back to step 1
    Funny thing is I'm willing to bet that without the powers to moderate, Discord would be abandoned by the dev team.
    Zynt, Tkia and Flatline like this.
  11. Flatline Well-Known Member

That is once again, NOT The point.

The point is that discord is OFFICIAL, ie. the rules should abide to all. And not be based any bias etc.

The point is not to get "access back to discord" but to show that the bias EXISTS and that this, from a modern company is unacceptable.
    Tkia likes this.
  12. Flatline Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is the point exactly, rules should apply to all. Accountability should be applied to all, and if the company chose NOT To do so.. then that is on THEM @JChan.
    Wulfgyr likes this.
  13. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Flatline likes this.
  14. Flatline Well-Known Member

Oh im a frequent offender not my first rodeo, but that doesnt mean that, the process. the absolute lack of accountability should be expect nor accepted.

While its their to do with as they see fit, i will at any point in time assume that the rules as supposed to apply to ALL
  15. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I am going to look into it.
    SevenShadows, Siren, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  16. Tunes Member

Thank you. It's been a frustrating start to the weekend and if you're able to resolve this for me I'd be really grateful
    Ryve likes this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There is no actual real-world reason they have to have any different moderation policies, They're a private company, so they can squash your speech rights any way they want to (only the government is prohibited from doing so). And their Discord policies are apparently not causing enough people to flee the game that the financial pressure would force them to change.

Yeah, in a better world there would be some actual published objective rules and the devs would have to abide by them, or better yet, they'd get dreamweaver an assistant whose only job would be to moderate Discord.

But that's not what we have. So far as I can see, from the inception of EQ2's Discord, the rule has been that if you annoy the devs, they ban you. And I can really see why they do it: can you imaging being at work and having a few hundred people dunking on you and kibbitzing? I've quit jobs because of being micromanaged and it driving me insane.

So, better to remind people of what you have to do to get unbanned in Discord /shrug. Posting in the forums won't necessarily do it, a PM gets into dreamweaver's queue and you don't have to hope he notices your thread..
    Zen Master likes this.
  18. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

The rules are there in writing. The players must abide by them, but the devs can choose to ignore the rules and the fact that you're abiding by them and ban you because they feel like it. Sounds great. Not sure why you're rushing to their defense on this one.

The solution is to remove moderation rights from the frequent offenders, and give them solely to Dream and maybe one or two other reasonable people like Kaitheel and Chrol.
    Tkia and Flatline like this.
  19. Flatline Well-Known Member

Your quoting the same illusion i was under originally, that it was NOT an official outlet, and was dev run. This was the case originally, there where even a post on the forums which stated this explicitly. This have been confirmed numerous times, the existance of it, the removal of the post AND the fact that discord is OFFICIALLY a DPG governed media with RULES.
    Numerous times.

Im not arguing free speech here, YOU are. i said, abide by the rules, for all of us.

Dont let the man get you down!
  20. Flatline Well-Known Member

Or mute people, dont kick/ban because you want to.. silence the trouble makers if needed.
    IF you want a 24/7 open forum you need to manage it, and keep it civil, thats fair - more than.

There is ALOT of other options than just kick/ban with no appeal, no parole and whomever sees fit is the judge/jury/executioner.

However i do belive Errrrror (or is there more r's in there) got it bang on.