EQII Mechanics Overview and Upcoming Changes

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Caith, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Cordelia New Member

I hope that the points in Ryver's post are absolutely followed up and acted upon. I am a 14 yr Veteran of this game, and have seen many changes. I am also a guild leader of quite a large social guild mostly full of players who have no interest in raiding but would enjoy running heroics. Instead these guys find themselves camping pqs every day for a chance to get some good gear to help them run their solos. This will only hold their interest for so long before we see them posting in our channel that they are bored and cancelling their sub.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

If you're going to 'fix' classes that have been broken for a long time;

Please make the So Rol spell upgrades spells available for RoS currency or something. Don't gate the upgrades of these abilities behind a) $$$$ b) Waiting 2 years.

Also I hope when you say boosting auto attack, that is significant, because currently auto attack is 100% pointles other than to proc other abilities.
    Taka, Chelle Circles, Zynt and 4 others like this.
  3. CSP84 Well-Known Member

As i read it some classes like Bruiser, Rogues and Ranger getting more Auto- Attack damage. So for some classes it will be still irrelevant.
  4. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Now remember.. buying things with currency we earn is the downfall to player engagement. They could just add them to a recipe book and put it on the new season of overseer rng, since that's how they want us to "earn" things now
    Zynt, Tunes and Flatline like this.
  5. Flatline Well-Known Member

Make them craftable like everything else, apparently this was an oversight 8 months ago, and counting.

This, but we all know its going to break something else if they do. which is why im not holding up any hope on that. I would be perfectly content if the tiering of classes where keept as originally intended - T1 DPS, T2 DPS, Util+healers - and these where ALL capeable of competing without having to wear (or wearing because its BETTER) 8-9 items from previous expansion while doing current END GAME Content. Not having to chase 4 expansion old achievements to be able to compete a little better, not having to level green adorns in old content because you cant in current and new ones are of a certain rarity akin to rocking horse droppings. The list goes on.
  6. Arclite Well-Known Member

@Caith can you please please also look at guardian combat art damage and increase some of them too? 95% of them do nothing but be fillers in the casting rotation. The 2 new combat arts Dissociating limbs and Taunting strike are absolutely rubbish at Ancient level and combine with their long casting speed, they are not worth using at all.This was highlighted in BoL but nothing was done.

Sentinel strike -- threat + damage needs to be a lot higher
    Decimate -- does nothing of use
    in the warrior tree - Gladiator Strike to benefit from the shield does nothing at all, we have had the Stamina line (middle) redundant for years. Even during class beta, this was raised and nothing was done.

I am hoping that at the very least you up the combat art damage across the board or the auto attacks becoming relevant again fills that gap of dps to a reasonable level.
    Holyduke likes this.
  7. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

0xN=0

I highly doubt we're talking about an autoattack multiplier of 100k or so, so without reversing the reforging nerf, this change will do nothing tangible for any class.

As for the rest of it, I think the dev team has completely lost the understanding of what made the game fun. There's just no point playing a game which isn't fun, end of story.
    Chelle Circles, Ryve and Flatline like this.
  8. Flatline Well-Known Member

This ^^^^^

Games are played for fun, not for punishment
  9. Xarin New Member

Yep this says it all. doing the same thing over and over trying to finally get the "cheese" is not a measure of fun.

Fun is -
    1. playing with friends
    2. figuring out a challenging raid and finally taking a boss down
    3. upgrading your toon's equipment and spells/abilities
    4. playing your class well and seeing your impact in a group , be it healing, dps, aoes or other impacts
    5. crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

fun isn't -

1. finding out that your AAs are messed up again due to a "fix" and having to go and look at each toon to figure out what changed and fix it
    2. Getting hit by an overland placeholder for over 1,000,000,000 points of damage.
    3. grinding solos and getting the exact same ~6 items that have been dropping since launch
    4. grinding PQs hoping for something, anything, to drop to upgrade your gear
    5. running heroics with an experienced team and still getting wiped due to scripts
    6. feeling like your toon, that you have invested large quantities of time and money into, has become useless and is now the pity group member, that gets invited and dragged along because everyone in the guild feels bad for you....
    7. oh yeah ... and shields/2h weapons, WTH is up with all these drops? Most people don't use a shield or a 2h, why do they drop so darn much in the place of useful equipment?
  10. Drona Well-Known Member

Recently I read an article where the lead designer of a MMO (hint, its the 2nd most successful subscription based MMO out there) pretty much said, its fine if player run out of content and stopped playing their game. They can go and play other games and come back when we add more content.

I understand its not easy for EQ2 developers to make lot of content due to various reasons but don't think that if players run out of content and play other games, they won't won't come back. If players left with good opinion of the game, they will defiantly come back. Do not add huge RNG and make them grind like mad since once they leave with negative opinion of the game, they are not coming back.
    Mercychalice, Mermut, Lateana and 6 others like this.
  11. Xarin New Member

I would also add that if it is fun, people will run through the content again with alts. EQ2 has a many different classes that you can play alts let you try it again with a different strat... but having to "spin the RNG" and hope to get something that will allow you to progress is not fun
    Mermut, Lateana and Flatline like this.
  12. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I'll take extended breaks from EQ2 these days, which is something I never used to do. I always come back when they put in something that interests me. I came back to try RoS and then play SF on Kaladim. I've never before lost interest this quickly. Between the terribly weighted RNG and killing off PQs on live, and the complete trivialization of SF on Kaladim, I really find it hard to be engaged and care.
  13. Mizri Active Member

Removed post. Had time to cool down and don't feel like being perma-banned.
    Pixistik, Smashey and Flatline like this.
  14. Chatele New Member

Right now my main chars are the ranger and Beastlord .. I love them both... Please clarify what the changes to them will be... I am an all-access player.. I am mainly a soloer, always has been, and don't plan on changing. So far I am able to do so, but when I can't, I will probable just cancel sub and move on.... Hope this isn't the case... I hate nerf bats... I play games to have fun and get away from real life crap, why else do we play????
  15. Drax Member

When I first noticed this post hit the Forum I was genuinely hopeful. Great, I thought, we are getting some positive engagement (see what I did there ;)!) from the Development Team who are listening to the constructive feedback in Ryve's thread but as I read through Caiths post my heart sank.

I am happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood but the proposed changes seem to be a combination of nerf bat, a requirement to go back and re-do old content and a continuance of RNG because 'metrics' say it is the best way to get 'engagement'. All I can say is that it does nothing for my engagement, in fact it has absolutely the opposite effect and only serves to move me in the direction of the exit.

Please have a re-think before committing to this mistaken path.
  16. Ryve Ryver'Fish

Completely agree Drax - It's really refreshing and hopeful to see Caith open that door to communicate with us, but the proposed changes do nothing address the key themes and concerns I tried to lay out as clearly as possible.

I really hope that this isn't considered 'dealt with' and there is room for the suggestions I made and others to be reassessed and explored fairly.
    Chelle Circles and Flatline like this.
  17. Grate Member

Glad to see some classes get buffs and support them fully but wonder about the others that have been left behind. (Brigand, Defiler)

The Assassin Nerf is very concerning. After watching the debacle that was the Beastlord changes and the mass exodus of Beastlords. (Every Beastlord I knew in game is now gone due to the poor handling of this change)

Engagement through RNG. Not sure how getting the same item over and over again is going to get people to keep running the zones. The solution is not to add more chances to get the same loot. I am at the point where everything that comes out of a heroic zone is unusable and transmuted./salvaged.

My engagement has gone from running heroics multiple times a week to maybe once a week and only if my group needs me. My engagement on PQs is 0. My game engagement has basically gone from daily to only on raid days at raid times and 1 day, maybe, due to my group meeting. Gone from doing pick up groups and meeting other people to never going outside of my guild. The RNG disaster has made it so there are no goals in the game. Nothing to strive for to achieve. Getting currency and having an attainable goal is worth doing. No I am not saying do something silly like the 7000 coins for the pay to win mount etc. It has to be obtainable within a reasonable amount of time which can be weeks or even a couple of months with normal runs.

RoS has gotten myself, my wife, and a host of other people in my guild which is a competitive guild, looking at what is next and when can we switch. My wife and I were not pay to win by any stretch of the imagination but we did spend more than the average player. Now, we pay our subscription and that is it. Soon it won't even be that.
  18. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

In EQ2 though you really can't. Not if you intend to be relevant at the top of the game. Not if when you left you were at the top of your game. Because when you come back, you know full well you'll have to be carried for a considerable length of time. It'll be bard duty for you.
    Chelle Circles and Flatline like this.
  19. Smashey Well-Known Member

One thing that needs to end is the way class balance happens in this game. Its something that should be done during beta and not in the middle of an expansion, unless its an exploit or unintended bug. One day you can be the best T1 DPS in Norrath and after an update you do the same damage or slighty better than support classes. This is just not fair when you combine it with:

A) It takes a lot of game time to be effective in this game. A lot more if you compare to other MMOs.
    B) It takes hundred of dollars and millions of platium to get a new character up to pars with one you played for a few expansions.
    C) The droprate of masters and the insane power spike that is Ancient/Celestial compared to Grandmaster's.

Stop using sledgehammers when sorting class balance or at least do it during beta. Its like the developers of this game have no clue what sort of rabbit hole they have dug players into and just how much effort is required to either reroll or return to the game as a new player.
  20. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I think there's some excellent points made in this thread ( I read them all), and a few people I would expect to be banned unless Dreamweaver is feeling magnanimous. I was particularly focused on the comments regarding "engagement" vs. "fun" and the current role of RNG in this game. I have to say I concur with those thoughts.

A fundamental premise of any game should be:
    1) It's fun to log in
    2) The more and harder I work the greater or more plentiful rewards I get
    I'd have to say those two expectations are not being adequately addressed with current content and mechanics. Put another way, how'd you like to have a job at DPG and having this situation:
    1) I work 8-10 hours a day for "x" number of dollars a month.
    2) DPG just hired someone with my same job description, who only puts in half my hours and makes twice what I'm making.
    Yeah, I'm engaged as hell, but am I having fun? Do I think it's reasonable I'm working twice as hard doing the same things the other person is doing and they're snagging twice the rewards for half the work?

Right now, with the game mechanics what they are, I spend THREE TIMES the amount of hours some players are spending in game HARVESTING for some gated content item. While I don't mind harvesting or crafting, I had zero expectation at the start of this xpac that I'd spend all my time basically harvesting vs. adventuring. But that's all that's happening and my enthusiasm (and that of others) is quickly diminishing. Sure I squeeze in a little time for a weekly and raiding three times a week, but otherwise, it's harvest, harvest, harvest for crystals which ain't dropping worth a crap. I'm not the only one in this position. Other people are swimming in the damn things and have 20 or more on sale at the broker. I can tell you for a fact that when the time comes and players who are harvesting can't get the crystals to make the scepter and their raiding ability stops, you can kiss them all goodbye.

Do what you want to do, but I'm going to say, if you're not hearing the messages from your customer coming across loudly and clearly, then ignoring all the feedback will have its own consequences.
    Jaeded, Mermut, Lateana and 7 others like this.