Water flickering with "Complex Shader Distance" enabled

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by thrashette, Feb 9, 2021.

1. thrashette New Member

Hello! I tried this old game out of curiosity, but I'm experiencing an issue with water. It flickers light and dark. Surfaces of waterfall flicker blue or purple-- it looks to be a reflection of the sky? But enabling/disabling reflections doesn't fix it. It also sometimes disappears completely.

In this video (), you can see the top of the waterfall rapidly flickering when I turn "Complex Shader Distance" up to "Very High." The same effect is produced on other settings besides "Off."

I've tried playing around with all of the settings, but nothing fixes it except setting "Complex Shader Distance" to "Off." But this looks like it disables a lot of visual effects in the game. None of the water, shadows, or lighting settings fix it, despite what I've been able to glean from Google searches.

My specs are: i5-8600k, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM. The game is running off of an NVMe SSD, on a 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync enabled. For reasons, I am currently running an older Nvidia driver release, version 451.48, but I updated and confirmed that the issue persists on the latest drivers. I otherwise have no issues with heat, artifacting, performance, etc.

Does anyone have any advice, or could they explain what this setting does to give me some clues on how to fix it or what's going wrong?
    Sturmlocke likes this.