Server Maintenance - February 9, 2021

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Feb 8, 2021.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

All EverQuest II Servers will be brought offline on Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM PST (15:00 UTC). Estimated downtime is expected to last up to 2 hours.

Update Notes can be found in the News section of our website.

Pantero likes this.
  2. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

I'm about to post the patch notes, Kaladim's notes are still being worked on by Dev, I will post them as soon as they are ready.
    and update everyone here.
    Breanna, Jinksie and Pantero like this.
  3. Revraptor New Member

I have never seen a game have so much maintenance server downtime. Why can't all of this stuff be done while people are sleeping. How many mornings now have I woke up looking forward to playing, and instead be greeted by the dreaded server down for maintenance.

I understand this stuff needs to be done, but why can't you do it like at midnight or something. So when people wake up they can play, and never have to deal with this. You want people to pay for a game they can't play when they want? Ridiculous...
  4. elflover Well-Known Member

Tuesday is normally downtime for stuff like this. Every week.
    Grrrrrl likes this.
  5. Grrrrrl Member

Timezones happen. Also a scheduled work day also happens. Devs and their associates who make this happen aren't swapping the whole crew to a night shift to do that for a once a week update.
    The best fix is to move to Australia where this is happening at midnight. :)
    Breanna likes this.
  6. hoopr New Member

Revraptor, I totally agree with you. And especially the late night post, with not much warning to the downtime. These "maintenance" downtimes could easily be done at 1-5AM central time when a bulk of the community is asleep. Figure it out guys...taking away 2-6 hours weekly when I am paying to play is NOT ACCEPTABLE!
  7. RHAGE111 New Member

Downtime is a necessary evil. Unless they migrated to a modern CI/CD delivery model that leveraged Feature Flagging - as one way to do this. But, considering that this is a very small user community now and this game is still holding on... best we just accept that they are doing their best to keep giving us great content that we enjoy. ;-) and we can give them a break for the 2 hours per week that we cannot get our fix. ;-)

(Thank you to the team of devs for all your hard work! I appreciate it... as do many of us.)
  8. Aeras Active Member

Did you play back in the mid 2000's? The game came down every weekday for maintenance. XD

Also, don't you want problems fixed?
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Tuesdays are patch days for as long as most of us remember. About as long as Wimpy has been begging for money/hamburgers for which he will gladly pay us Tuesday. It's a fixture. And they're more so in the first couple of months of a new roll out. Patch notes come out when there's something to post as far as fixes. So what if they come out late? I can read them Tuesday morning with my coffee and see what they're fixing and perhaps contemplate its impact of the game.

After that, it's a server reset every other Tuesday and usually lasts an hour. Two hours yes...very seldom 6 hours unless it's a debacle like the voice maintenance and they still haven't fixed that problem. There are bigger issues to be foaming at the mouth about honestly, but if you want to get tied up in a knot about it, certainly is your right.
    Ra'Gruzgob and Breanna like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EVERY single Tuesday, expect downtime.

We have players world-wide. The devs are in San Francisco. So as to prioritize Americans vs. Europeans or Australians, you want a different time? And you want the update folks to get up in the middle of their night for your convenience, is that right? Why is that better?
    Ra'Gruzgob and Breanna like this.
  11. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I hate to sound ageist but the complainers about down time seem young and must not have jobs or other responsibilities that require they be elsewhere during morning hours. Even as a retired person I can find something to do to keep busy for a few hours each week, like using the time to clean my house. After all, a clean house is the sign of a broken computer ;)
    Bhayar and Breanna like this.
  12. Gojiria Member

San Diego, not The City...

I've always hated the Tuesday morning "I can haz game? Oh, no, it's tuesday" thing. I've almost tried to sleep in past maintenance, but that really screws up my mornings. Hey, I'm a semi-retired self-employed guy. I work when I want to.

The bigger issue is that I just logged onto one of my toons, and none of their prestige abilities are available now, even after recommitting AA... REALLY tired of you guys screwing stuff up every time I turn around. Seriously, I can't work like this.

What the hell is wrong NOW??? Why are my abilities not coming up? They're there when I go to commit, but then gone when I commit...
  13. Steveo New Member

server downtime = go do something in real life, like make tea, take your familiar for a walk, take your merc to the bar, kiss your missus, eat!
  14. Fannoncodder Member

"IvE nEVeR sEeN sO mUcH DoWnTiMe" ... is this yall's first time or something? There's been weekly downtime in this game since it was released, and before it, EQ1 was weekly downtime as well. Same bat time, same bat channel.
    Breanna and Jinksie like this.
  15. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

if they did it at another time, downtime would perhaps increase even more.. compare it with yourself - if your brain works better in morning why should it be otherwise for devs?
    i have an evening - and this is best time for me to play
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Could SWEAR I'd typed San Diego. My fingers did something else I guess!
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Revraptor New Member

FYI, I am 52 years of age and I work a full time job. In fact I went and got coffee, and sat at the computer at 8 am hoping to at least get 45 mins of game play in before I had to head off to work. So as you can see you are way off on your assessment of who I am.

If I was retired like you and had all the time in the world on my hands I probably wouldn't complain as much. But I work non like you so my time is very limited.

My first assessment stands that server maintenance should not get in the way of game play at all.
  18. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Well, hate to burst your bubble, but if they tried to satisfy everyone, there'd be no DT ever. This game is played the world over and populations vary from Pacific zones to European zones, but their time doesn't. I get you feel inconvenienced and everyone should be working around your schedule, but there's bigger issues happening around you 24/7, 365 days a year. If this is your biggest problem and where you want to get twisted up in knots, you should feel blessed.
    Breanna likes this.