Surge Damage

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Bentenn, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Okay Devs,
    You've removed Custom UIs for one week to fix lag.. didn't work..
    You've changed elemental blast to fix lag.. didn't work
    You've taken away recovery from MOST classes to fix lag.. didn't work..

We've dealt with all the above and probably more that I'm missing to have you fix the lag. Listen to you're player base now.

Remove surge damage for one week. If lag goes away then you can adjust for the healers that will feel they are not needed. If it doesn't work then you can say see, I told you so...But do it for one week just like you've done with everything else.. one week and see what happens. This lag is atrocious and you guys are at a brick wall in your thinking. Try it.. try listening to a player base to see if it works.
    Daalilama and Priority like this.
  2. Suidakra Active Member

What is surge damage? is this a raid only thing?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

It's persistent and repeated damage hit against the entire raid force, regardless of distance or positioning. Some raid surges can hit across the entire zone, killing people back at the entrance. Most of the incoming damage a non-tank will receive is surge damage, and healers spend most of their time healing/warding that rather than direct attacks. On some fights, surge damage will be the highest source for a tank too. Every raid boss has it. I thought heroics had it too, but I'm not entirely sure.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  4. Suidakra Active Member

Hm. That must be when someone goes a certain range out of a named mob and starts taking constant damage.
  5. Priority Well-Known Member

Told them this for years. There have been wildly laggy fights in the past since surge was introduced, and on some fights, if you could kill the enemy actually doing the surge, the fight becomes almost lag free as soon as it's dead. Not that this is testable or anything....
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Almost like an ability (or 3) hitting everybody in the raid every few seconds might causing lots of computing to happen and data to be sent...
    Benj, Breanna and Priority like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I think it's a new name for the old AOE attacks that every raid mob seemed to have, the difference being that in older expansions, raid mobs had a cone of some sort up to 180°, so you could face them away from the raid. There were a few names that could kill you throughout the zone, even so.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  8. Luciano Member

Devs are working on lag by reducing server population
    Noxnoctis, Tkia and Zynt like this.
  9. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Sigh... oh Siggy. If you don't know, you don't have to reply.
    Avirodar and Priority like this.
  10. quisling Well-Known Member

I've always referred to it as: "ticking damage". Somebody said something about surge not being around until the last couple of years or so...yeah it has....just with differing names.
    WhysperWynde and Daalilama like this.
  11. Malahk Active Member

LoL, sad but true. People are leaving in droves. Every change they've tried, including nerfing Beastlords to nothing, has not worked. So bring back reforging and restore Beastlords and make EQ2 fun again, please. Thank you.
    AOE1 likes this.
  12. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Actually it hasn't. TOV started it and it wasn't the entire encounter. As soon as you engage you have constant damage and all that is being registered x24 per raid, per node.. blah blah blah... ticking damage from dets previous to this is not the same. The surge was put in to "fix" druids and allow their heals to actually mean something. Then reactives quit working and they had to adjust that. The best time raiding over the past year was when they turned off "surge" damage in POW. There was minimal lag, period. They just need to remove this and figure out how to adjust the heals so druids will still feel useful. Remove CB affecting wards so druids heals would still matter and it would be okay. Shaman can adjust, they did it for years. They really need to quit breaking stuff and concentrate on what we're asking for to help. ONLY ONE, MAYBE TWO even play the game. The rest, some who make big decisions, have 0 CLUE as to how these things are effected in game.
    AOE1 and Priority like this.
  13. Priority Well-Known Member

How will we ever spread misinformation and bad ideas?!
    Avirodar likes this.
  14. Daalilama Well-Known Member

I died few times in raid from surge damage and explained this to the dev team. When they sympathetically asked me to point on the eq2 action figure where exactly the surge hurt me I was quite embarrassed to mention where.
  15. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Thank you for a much needed belly laugh this morning.
    AOE1 likes this.
  16. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Through all the bugs, nerfs, coding errors and untold issues with EQ2, if you don't occasionally laugh you go crazy.
    Bhayar likes this.