Cute Kick from Discord

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Priority, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

But the fact that Feldon got banned from the forums tells you everything you need to know.
    Mizgamer62, Lateana, chattie and 4 others like this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

There are two major issues with discord bans, in my opinion
    1) there are no rules or code of conduct... there are no standards for what is and isn't a bannable offense
    2) I have never heard of the player being given either
    a) warning
    or
    b) reason for the ban
    Mizgamer62, Gelenor, Lateana and 7 others like this.
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

There is so much truth to this
  4. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

We've talked about people calling for people to be fired before. So I will remind everyone again, being frustrated and sharing that frustration is fine. Saying people should be fired. Not okay.
    Siren, Breanna, Jinksie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dockter Well-Known Member

I've never said anything like that yet, I'm still banned...
    Mizgamer62, Hartay and Zynt like this.
  6. Treggar Active Member

The problem with using an anonymous public platform is that bans are laughable. If you really want to keep someone out, you have to use a platform where you can truly restrict access.
    Obano likes this.
  7. Smashey Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you take the time to write that.

Can you also tell us if the raid lag that have been haunting this game for 12 months now is gonna be sorted in 2021 or if its just gonna be a company secret or completely ignored? Guilds are bleeding raiders left and right at the moment..

I think all people who play multiple Darkpaw games knows its a company wide issue and not just related to EQ2, so I dont understand why you keep telling players to report when lag happens. Its almost every raid night.
    Mizgamer62 and Zynt like this.
  8. Smashey Well-Known Member

9. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

The simple fact of the matter is that you don't need to be trolling or a jerk to get banned from Discord. You only have to disagree with a certain handful of developers. The tone or constructiveness of your disagreement does not matter in the slightest.
    RedBB and Zynt like this.
  10. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

That was pretty much a kick in the teeth to the entire community.
    Jabbso, Smashey, Lateana and 6 others like this.
  11. Dockter Well-Known Member

Feldon single handedly keep eq2 playable for years with his information. Shame he walked away, rather, pushed away.
    Smashey, Lateana, Almee and 2 others like this.
  12. Arclite Well-Known Member

"The first step in solving a problem is recognizing there is one”

Thought i preface what i would say with the above quote. We have been down this road for years and nothing has been done about how discord or forums are run.

Never ever would I talk about someone's livelihood being affected by some video game but if the criticism is rightly placed at the company who sells a product for which people pay for, there has to be a robust system of feedback and constructive criticism that could only improve your product --- You have collectively missed that mark for years.

I do not know who moderates and ban people on Discord but to say that its a low blow is an understatement. You should at least show the person a courtesy of giving them a warning and tell them what is violating the rules and not just use Kander's blanket understanding of: "if you don't like it, then don't play it".

Devs/designers get away with literally any false and inaccurate information on the forums/discord and we are just expected to roll with it but any time a player has a valid point, a hefty penalty is doled out with no apparent reason (most of the time).

Any decent development team would by now come out with some sort of an apology or at least take ownership of how bitter the player-game team relationship has become over the last decade but we are not going to see anything now are we except perhaps an obscure statement in the poorly advertised podcast with the creative designer.

Any comments by the PR team on this?
  13. RedBB Active Member

Bitter and disconnected sums it up nicely. Granted the reasons for being bitter are justified on both sides. As for calling for termination, if all the game's mistakes and disasters can be pinned on one or two people that cost customers, relocation, demotion, or termination would seem justified. (Honest statement, not a dig at anyone in particular.) This xpac has been a tossup between disaster and mediocre success. There are some good bits in it. But the bad bits far outweigh the good bits. And those bad bits have been an ongoing issue for some time now. The constant complaints have led to the devs not even bothering with the forums, and a general boot from discord for muttering even the slightest hint of critique. They don't care what players think... "If you don't like it, don't play it" sums it up nicely. I for one quit spending cash and my playtime has been greatly reduced through a pure lack of interest. That is a result of horrible scripting that should have never been put in place, and a barrage of alterations to game mechanics that were heavy handed and generally unnecessary while the root causes persist or worse get piled on to with more RNG checks and convoluted systems that nobody asked for. (Awaits the ban hammer for having an opinion).
    Mizgamer62, Almee, Arclite and 2 others like this.
  14. Gwyneth New Member

Ironically XIV has been my main game since 2014 and I'm just poking my head in here again after last doing so sometime last year. I was playing this one on XIV 24 hour maintenance days, doing some quests on my main froglok ranger in really old expansions. But I decided to try to play a bit more regularly again at a bit slower pace than XIV.
    Almee and Wulfgyr like this.
  15. Zen Master formless, shapeless

I finished "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. They push the point that social media is profit-oriented. The customer is the product. Discord is "Like" driven so raiders get much more attention. I would not be surprised if Discord is preferred for its analytic tools.
    Lukasha and WhysperWynde like this.
  16. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

So I am Downloading Discord right now as I type here .. I have heard so much about Discord, although I don't really know that much about it, that I must try it. So guess I'll find out about Discord for myself now. I don't see why all pertinent info isn't just given on EQ2 Forums. Why not? Isn't this where everybody goes to find out about the game, including when it is down for update, which is why I am here right now? Why do we need Discord, another site, for EQ2 info? Should oughta be for discussion only. And I don't like hearing that rowdy speakers are at Discord; if it's too bad there I'll just leave and delete.

... whelp I'm getting nothing but a blank box with some strange writing in it when I do Download Discord for Windows .. for W7 or higher. SO maybe Discord just ain't for me. And what really am I missing that I haven't done without all of this time already???
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

I think you need a mod invite onto the EQ2 Discord channel but I may be mistaken. Maybe Dreamweaver can post you a link?
  18. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need that. It might be an issue with the age of the operating system.
    Breanna and Siren like this.
  19. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Breanna likes this.
  20. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Isn't naming-and-shaming (implicitly and explicitly) and open calls for bans against specific individuals against forum rules?

Please feel free to Ignore me (click profile -> press ignore) or send me a private message. I have long left this discussion (1+ week ago).

Dreamweaver has been fair to allow all sides to vent or air their viewpoints. (Some use language that is far more uncivil or unconstructive than those used in my posts). It will be a vicious cycle of suspensions and bans when people who disagree with each other (but can move on) cross a dangerous threshold by open calls for discipline. (I have never requested a suspension or ban on anyone whom I have disagreed with).

I wasn't intending to return to this thread and I won't be responding to subsequent posts but my name is being bandied about in multiple posts (namely by anonymous new forum members) likely as a ploy to reignite controversy and to keep bumping this thread up. So please stop the behavior now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.