Any one remember how to kill King Tormax Challenge mode?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Griffon Lady, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I've waited years to be able to solo Tormax and try and get the black gryphon to drop, but now that everything in the zone but him drops like flies, I keep getting a message in red that "King Tormax cannot be defeated while the phantasmal projection is present". Can anyone tell me what that is and how to stop it? The debuff we had to get in that expansion is to get rid the buff "Unbridled fury of the Shadows", and I don't see anything in the pop up when I scroll over the buff about phantasmal projections. Not a lot of info out there, but none of the pages or wiki say anything about it either.

I killed every thing else in the zone, I keep tabbing and nothing else is targetable... I'm flustered.
    Please help! I just want to farm for the pretty black gryphon!
    WhysperWynde and Enquirer like this.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Kill the shiny orb thing that spawns at bottom of his platform
    Kill the ghost dragon
    kill tormax
    Rez the ranger who blindly shot into his reflect every time (me)
  3. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    What shiny orb thing? There were a few shiny orbs that spawned above my head that I can't target and blow me up if I'm rooted, but I don't think I'm seeing the right orb. Maybe I have my graphics set too low or I need to relog...hmmmm.
    XD I will most definatly rez you if I ever get the opportunity.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  4. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

It's like a static white orb that spawns at the bottom of the throne. Roughly where the duck is :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    WhysperWynde and Breanna like this.
  5. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Is the orb immune to AOEs? I was spamming them around the base of the throne and I didn't seem to be doing anything.
    Is it on a timer? Maybe to keep peeps from just one shoting him?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  6. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Looks like it spawns around 90% on Tormax's HP. At the same time as the ghost dragon.

Apparantly it's been 9 years since i last killed it :D
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

XD Ty for the video and Happy 9th anniversary!
    Now if I can just get my pet to hold aggro to keep the mobs separate... XD

EEE I finally killed him! Thank you thank you thank you! I just had to wait till he spawned the extras, killed them, and then the orb and dragon showed up. XD Ahhh going back to old stuff is fun! XD

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Did you get the mount you wanted?
    WhysperWynde and Breanna like this.
  9. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Yup! I did get a black gryphon. ^_^ My hubby's jaw hit the floor since he was expecting it to take a few dozen tries. I don't have good luck very often! XD
    Going to get a second one for my Gryphon Museum house. ^_^
    [IMG]
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Being able to 1 shot Tormax has made the encounter very weird. I did this last week. After a few tries we finally realized that the dragon spawns after a certain amount of time, the adds still need to be killed, and to keep moving so you don't get trapped in the stun zones that ultimately kill you. We noticed the anchor thing that needs to be destroyed, somehow managed to survive long enough to do so, and I got the black griffon mount at the end.
  11. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I tried it and I got stun every time by an orb each time and within 6 seconds I am dead.
    Tried anti-stun rune, tried running all the time, tried Aura of Crusader that supposedly should prevent any root, stifle, stun effects for 22 seconds. It seems that I can not avoid that stun from orb.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  12. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

You can't counteract the stun zones. You have to be cured of the curse. Just keep moving so you're not standing in them when they spawn.
    WhysperWynde, Evguenil62 and Breanna like this.
  13. Jumjumbandito Active Member

Late to the game: Do you mean his Elemental Energy Field? Because that blows me apart every time I can't see a way around it. It's a big circle on the ground, centered on me that I can't move out of because I am stunned
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  14. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I've never been able to tackle the encounter without constantly staying on the move and anticipating for the energy field to spawn on you. Best you can hope for is that you're still moving just outside of its effect range when it spawns.
    Breanna and WhysperWynde like this.
  15. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Sounds difficult but a very nice prize = the Black Gryffon Mount. Think I will try for it myself. With all of the excellent advice and talk in this thread, hopefully I'll be able to do it and kill King Tomax and Rez this ranger? who blindly shoots a reflection .. me? Don't quite understand that part but maybe it'll become clearer ingame.
  16. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I kept my healer merc near (peace mode) in hopes it'd cure the root, but like Cussashorn said, I just kept moving and it helped. I still got stuck a few times and blown up, but a lot less when strafing side to side to watch for the adds.

I highly recommend a healer merc and pet class. my pet keeps agro better than any merc I've tried. Much easier to keep the mobs separate that way. ^_^ (I'm not actually sure the healer did any good... any one know?)