What do you want to see in the next TLP?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Kurth, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Kurth Member

What do you want to see in the next TLP?

I have three things I really wanna see next time around:

1: Freeport/Qeynos only at launch. No Neriak/Halas etc until EoF.

2: Ditch primary/secondary on itemization. Bring it back to some gear is str some dex, etc.

3: No XP pots the first month.
    Izanami, Herbalmeds, Sixgauge and 2 others like this.
  2. Smashey Well-Known Member

Dont we all want to see the same thing? And they had 5 years to do it by now?

Harder heroic content with relevant gear upgrades
    Harder raid content with relevant gear upgrades
    Better itemization with relevant gear progression

Its the same stuff players have been asking for since the first TLE launched in 2015 and we continue to come back for more of the same.
    Defub, Frostfang and Skarltar like this.
  3. Kotter Legendary Member

why no XP pots?
  4. Arandar Well-Known Member

If you wanted complete fidelity to the timeline, Neriak would open with EoF, but New Halas wouldn't appear until Sentinel's Fate unlocks (it was released in early 2010, the first major update after SF launched).

That's never going to happen. It would require they completely split gear itemization from the live game and change way too many core mechanics. If you take a look at what stats look like on current gear, it's obvious why they went for the more basic "primary/stamina" approach for base stats. You'd have tooltips that would be scrolling off the page.

If you're talking about going back to the days where strength affected how much you could carry, wisdom affected resists, intelligence increased poison damage and all that jazz... I feel completely confident in saying that will never happen.

I suspect those are a significant source of revenue for them, and XP pots were available fairly early on in the life of the game as vet rewards. There's really no functional reason to disallow them. Folks who want to level up quickly will do so, regardless.
    Bekkr likes this.
  5. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you'd want this. The content for the most part is only applicable to low level characters. All you'd be doing is removing questing options for levels 1-20, causing bottlenecks and forcing people to grind in public dungeons, unless they rebalance all of the quest content in the original zones. Due to numerous changes over the years, most of the low level gear is homogenized anyway. If you don't want to experience that content, then just don't do it. All you're really punishing is solo players, since those zones don't really include any significant heroic content. Which OK, if your goal is to force everyone to group up, I guess that would work, but I'd think it would be detrimental to the longer-term health of the population.

Yeah, never gonna happen unfortunately. For the myriad reasons others have mentioned. You'd have to basically rebuild EQ2 from scratch to do that. You can counter with "yeah, but Blizzard did it with WoW Classic", but then 1) Blizzard had backups from the original release (well, a few patches in, but basically still vanilla), and 2) They spent millions of dollars with a dedicated dev team over the course of 2+ years doing it. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

I have no opinions regarding this. But I would imagine the sale of XP pots is half the reason TLE is even financially viable in the first place.

Really, the most consistent issues with TLE are itemization and encounter tuning. We've long since accepted that certain things won't ever come back, and clamoring for them is only going to be an exercise in futility. The main problem is that because of limited resources, they're forced to take shortcuts which results in rather inconsistent results. Things swing wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, because it isn't feasible to make such wide-reaching changes, while also testing it to the extent it needs to be. As far as rulesets go, with capped research, no chan/BL, no familiars, etc., Kaladim is pretty much gets it right I think. Honestly it's probably about 85-90% there.

The only other thing I see consistently from those of us who've played previous TLEs wanting, is that it starts at KoS, or at the very least, vanilla and DoF are given shorter windows. DoF simply doesn't have enough content to be treated like a "full" expansion. But I'm sure that's going to be met with a few "WHAT? DoF is my FAVORITE expansion ever!" responses.
    Schmetterling, Arandar and Zenji like this.
  6. Kurth Member

I mean, what I really want is a p1999 equivalent for old school EQ2. I don't think we'd ever get it but the changes especially to stats stripped the rpg element of the game.

The idea of disallowing the extra starting cities is indeed to encourage more interaction and grouping at lower levels. Also the quests in Halas especially give out way too much free crap making it an objectively better choice for everyone.
  7. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think that excluding Halas and Neriak would do much, if anything, to encourage grouping or interaction between players. Those who want to group are going to do that regardless because it's the easiest way to level. The only thing it I believe it would do is discourage those who prefer to solo. I have no idea how big that demographic is though so I can only speculate as to how big of an impact that would have. Either way, the stuff from Halas isn't going to be particularly useful for long. You'll out-level it quickly so beyond the low 20s, and there are better options at that point anyway, it's pretty much irrelevant.
    Schmetterling, Arandar and Dude like this.
  8. Xevran Well-Known Member

Better itemization and better game balance. DoF not lasting four months.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

The only reason that stats look "stripped" is because, at this point, you're playing with extremely low level gear. Here's how the stats look for a current tier item (just some random level 120 Overseer stuff):

2,766 Primary Attributes
    4,144 Stamina
    163,622 Health
    73,603 Power
    2,872.7 Potency
    4.4 Crit Bonus
    330 Resolve
    183 Crit Bonus Overcap
    824.6 Crit Chance
    236.6 DPS
    136.4 Reuse Speed
    20,908 Ability Mod

That'd mean adding individual stats for Strength, Agility, Intelligence and Wisdom, along with individual resists for Elemental, Noxious and Arcane on top of all of that.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would be easier if all TLE servers were a totally different version , like the Public Teast Server , Beta or Thurgadin .
    If all TLE servers where totally separate from the regular US servers , we would not get influenced by the regular servers
    and changes would not mess up the regular servers and the other way around .
    But I am not very knowledgeable about computer programing or such so don't beat up on me for being , just a fool .
    Ursa Minor, Cacofonix and Dude like this.
  11. Chrisworld Active Member

This is EXACTLY what should have been done but for some reason it was not. I have many guesses, but I am going to go with it being to prevent people from having to download another copy of the game client just to play on a server they're having to pay for. Another possible reason are character slots. When you switch realms (US/EU/Test, etc..) you get a whole blank slate of slots for that realm. That means whatever your max slots you currently have are, you get that many CLEAN and OPEN on another realm. So if TLE were on another realm, altaholics would be able to have a field day, but this isn't so. I don't want to say it's to generate more revenue when people want more slots, because after all they still give away 500 DBC a month which is a slot every 2 months you pay, I want to say it was easier from a tech stand point to place TLE within the US Realm. Finally, as I finish writing this I just realized, it would be easier to xfer characters off of a closing TLE to servers on the same realm than to another realm. Usually, TLE get the option but if you ignore it you get sent to AB. Imagine just deleting your characters when the server gets closed and a new one is open? These things were probably all considered, and in the end they made the balanced decision that is right for player, devs, server engineers alike.
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

no I play on all those , all I do is when I want to go to Thurgadin I switch the Version on the launch pad . and after a view seconds update I can log in to the game .
    Same is true for the Public Test server , or the Beta server ( I have not been there since Phantom Seas .
    When ever there is a big new Expansion , all I need to do is sit through one download of that new data , after that
    when I want to go to one of those other separate servers all I have to do is have those parts loading that are different ,
    usually takes just a view minutes .
    Don't go for the full download , there is no need for that usually .
  13. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding!

What do I want to see? A more faithful and accurate approximation of classic, including soul shards, WORTS, and wyrmsteel.
    Cacofonix and Frostfang like this.
  14. Chrisworld Active Member

If you know how to switch realms without a download please share because when I try to, it makes me down 26 gigs for each version.
  15. Arandar Well-Known Member

It's nice to have a dream, I suppose. But I'm confident that's never going to happen.
    Frostfang likes this.
  16. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

He never said our wants had to be realistic :p
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ok Chrisworld , here goes again .
    You download your game and pick the version you want .
    Now you have a launch pad , ( sorry don't know how to link that )but if you want to know more about that go to advanced tools
    one of the items on the list is "About Launchpad" .
    Anyway the way I switch between the separate Versions of the truly separate servers is ,
    go to the upper left corner of the Launchpad and click on what ever is right of where it says Version : .
    this will open a page in the middle of the screen titled ........{---------------"SELECT GAME VERSION" ------------} ....
    the down arrow opens a drop down menu...........................{ [ server you are on with arrow down ] [ APPLY ] }.........................
    You only need to do a full download if you never went to { [ ] Full Download }---------------------------------------------------------------
    this version of the game .
    The game will be installed into a sub folder and can be accessed by clicking the down arrow and pick the version you want , and click APPLY .

Sorry , I am not an expert but it has worked for me for years .
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Siren Well-Known Member

:D We want to see the TL open PvP server that our Frostfell dreams are made of, of course! :D
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Venser Active Member

It's been mentioned before, the TLE servers are old live servers. Like Guk, renamed to say Fallen Gate. The reason this works is because its a large margin profit, uses old resources updated in current clients. It virtually pays for itself and then some. It makes sense to not start from scratch because of the size of their team. Sure if they had a WoW size team there could be time to work on bringing old GUs back on an actual new server. Its just not going to happen unless they've been hiding a project for the last 5-6 years.
  20. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I would like to see the server start at RoK and continue on through Chains of Eternity or so. I would also like access to my vet/collectors xp pots and mercenaries I earned, since botting is allowed and xp pots are sold.