Are the any Froglok naming conventions?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Wanderer86, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Wanderer86 Member

Greetings,

I'm new to the game and while testing around different class/race combinations i really fell in love with the Frogloks. So i wanna play one and also want a fitting name for my froggy wizard. By fitting i mean no fun or strange name more something fitting in lore wise.So how do a Froglok name look like? At the moment i choose Tekki for my male froggy wizard. I'm still at the areas of the city of Qeynos but i can't remember seeing another Froglok NPC for some inspiration maybe i missed them. I'm heading towards lvl 20 how would a surename look like? Do they even use surenames? Is it the family name or some kind of a characteristic name like i don't know Spellpaw/feet?

Ty for all you suggestions.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

While not perhaps total lore, an interesting concept;

When Frogloks were first unlocked in EQ2, there was a Froglok zone called The Hidden Village of Kugup. Many of the NPCs in there had naming schemes where their names were backwards;

Chief Kaorf
    Reppoh
    Repmuj
    Pikspoh
    Timrek

and 2 loved up frogs; Teiluj & Oemor

Could be a fun naming scheme for a froglok if you can be creative enough
  3. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

hmm do not get me started on a name scheme for the Vah Shir but I am assume nothing. There be a l lot of cat and tac in their names... go goggle mums now :)
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

A *LOT* of Froglok names are just backward puns on jumping and hopping.
  6. Cheesenabber Active Member

Or frog noises
    Like Froak
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I named my Kerra Mmrrow. I think of my cats and the "words" they say, personally... each of them has characteristic vocalizations. You could also try the Cat People Name Generator.

I also sometimes use the Behind The Name generator, which allows you to select various languages. Maori is a great source.

The Kaiju Name Generator churns out some stuff that would look good for a Froglok.
  8. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

I didnt know that thanks, sigrdrifa!
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

I kinda like the last nameds of something like Spellweb or Spellflipper or Webbedweaver or Hydropoof. :)

Edit....I really like Hydropoof actually LOL
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and nooz like this.
  10. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

those are
    Those are cool Mercychalice!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  11. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Thank you :D:cool::)
  12. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the various Marr-touched Frogloks around the game, such as the denizens of Tupta and noticed one particular thing about them: They all have two syllable names.
  13. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I had a little froglok toon once, seems I deleted her. Her name was Webbie Wonderlegs. :D
    nooz, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

You should find your froglok mentor in Qeynos and do the racial quest line to learn more about frogloks .
    The mentor can be found in the Harbor area in Qeynos Province .
    Just hop over to the " Grounds of Fate " , the Harbor Cache and the Clock of time " Ak Anon "
    The mentors name is "Ruoert Valorbound " the first quest is called " the Wind in the Willow Wood

The quest for the hidden froglok village is given by " Fruup Groaak " and the quest is called " the Missing " you can ask a guard for him if you can't find him
    he is but a view steps away from "Rupert Valorbound"

Also I suggest you get the city quest line as soon as it becomes available .
    There is much to do , HOP TO IT.

Also just wile we are in this place , here is where you will enter into the Frostfell Wonderland zone when we get Frostfell Fest on the 8th of December .
    Don't forget to pick up some snowballs from one of the buckets , don't worry , they don't melt and go through the magic wardrobe , see Santa Gluk for a free present once a day .
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

(saving this page for all "those wonderful toys -- er, links"; thanks, Sigrd! :D)

I named Uwk, my first toon, my main, from the random name generator here, of all things; I'd designed him as a lion kerra (not the cheetah/leopard/jaguar/whatever of my avatar here) and Uwkete came up; it looked vaguely African-ish, so I went with it. I also pronounce it like "Ew, kitteh!" so that works ("Uwk" = "ook"); Berserkers can get messy... ;->

For my frogloks, the first one I made, or tried to, was Michigan J'Frog, a Weaponsmith/Troubadour (green, white belly...look at the creepy Warner Bros. cartoon "One Froggy Evening" for the reference [the FULL cartoon, if you can find it on YouTube {Netflix is way better for that kind of thing}; I highly recommend the entire Warner Bros. classic collection sets, frankly, 'cause "I. Am greedy." {--Daffy Duck} and want them all] ;->), but they wouldn't let me have "Michigan" as a first name, so I had to spell it "Machagin". ;->

For my other froggies, I'll either have an appearance idea in my head or look around at images on Google for different frog species and then get an idea, then base the character name on the scientific name for that appearance. For example:

Paedophryne Amauensis (a Mystic/Tailor)
    Xestorrhytias Perrini (a Mystic/Alchemist)
    (two different servers)

(fair warning: if you try to look those up on Google, the second name/surname is the species name, and in scientific naming, the species name is always lower case)

There was some confusion over a li'l girl froggie I wanted to be bright red with black spots, a true li'l cute, unassuming, highly poisonous tree frog Warden/Jeweler, and I made the mistake of not getting the whole name originally...went back to Google a few days later and couldn't find it again; closest I could get was that people weren't sure which genus (the "given" or first name) such a thing was in, so I had to go with:

Ranitomeya Or'Dendrobates

which is probably the easiest of my froggie first names for anyone to type in who wants to send me a /tell. X-P

One nice thing about last names: if you don't like one, just wait 15 minutes and you can change it. :) Apostrophes are your friends for making more than one word. ;->

Uwk
    nooz and Breanna like this.
  16. Ameuco Member

The EQ2 tabletop RPG(the officially licensed one published by White Wolf in 2005) section on Frogloks has nothing on names, but you might find this bit about titles interesting nonetheless:
    Page 76
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There was an EQ2 book version? I know there was an EQ1 version, since that's where I'd made my first Vah Shir Beastlord up on Luclin, and Freeport wasn't a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" yet. Map looked like the original, too. ;)

Nice to hear they'd come out with a sequel! :D

Uwk
    who wonders if copies are still in print... ;->
    Breanna likes this.