Lack Of New expansion Info

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ichoris, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Ichoris Well-Known Member

There really isn't much new info posted about the new expansion. It's basically the same page we had before. Now they just added a BUY screen. I thought they would do a whole preview page or something when pre-orders opened.

In the past we would get the 90 min streams where they talked about the game and showed it. Is there going to be more info released? Like screenshots or anything about what the new guild leveling systems do? Maybe expand on the bullet points with some more details about each.

I know that the Beta testers are going to provide some information but it would be nice if DPG put together a page with more information and and some screen shots and videos. I mean you are asking people to buy something and you don't really know what is it besides some bullet points.
    Smashey and Randver like this.
  2. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Respectfully, I think there are 3 issues:

1. Players are more concerned about work and communication for server maintenance and other pressing issues.

2. Streams probably take away 1/2 or a full work day for some of these devs. They need to prepare the script and hardware/software in the midst of EQ1/EQ2 Beta.

*For reasons 1 and 2, players will support dev time better allocated to churn out a higher quality expansion. People prefer the meat-and-potatoes, and the nuts-and-bolts.

3. Streams and text-filled posts may be considered gimmicky or manipulative. I finished the Apple Silicon event today and felt like it was a 1 hour advertisement. Additionally, people hate it when a plumber or technician tries to upsell you on a big project. Unfortunately, lots of marketing today can be considered slimy or even dishonest.
  3. Randver Member

It wouldn't take much effort to add more information. They could simply add a paragraph under each of the bullet points.

Is the new guild leveling mechanic going to maker it easier for small or single person guilds to level? Will it only be beneficial for larger guilds? They told us absolutely nothing.

Screenshots of the new AA trees and an explanation of what's actually changing.

The rest of the expansion appears to be the cookie cutter model they have been using for the last several expansions so not much to tell so at least tell us what to expect from the new features.
    Carynn likes this.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I think there are 4 issues:

1. They had 365 days since the last expansion. If the team cannot dedicate ONE HOUR out of ONE DAY into explaining to their customers why they should buy the product, then I guess money isn't that important to them? Fan Faire used to eat up an entire month of preparation. We're asking for 1 hour.

2. Of the Programmers, Buildmaster, and Platform teams, only the lead programmer sometimes appears in livestreams. The irony is, that lead programmer used to be Jen Chan who is now the head of the studio. Seems sensible that she'd be available to do a livestream.

3. One of the top 10 customer requests and feedbacks submitted to SOE and Daybreak Games over the last 20 years has been to improve and increase marketing and advertising. I believe you are in the minority in your belief that 2 paragraphs and a bullet point list is all that is necessary to get people to spend $140 multiple times or $250 once per household. If for some reason sales are disappointing, why do I get the feeling fellow players and "haters" will be blamed?

4. If you think the team isn't already tasked on a regular basis to create presentations to investors or executives to justify their work with roughly the same information we're asking for, your understanding of how companies work is perhaps a bit deficient.
    Tkia, Smashey and Albanara like this.
  5. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Did the pendulum swing far to the other side? (From Smedley's Tweets and Holly's streams to quiet action under JChan). Maybe. Do they want their work to speak for itself in Beta? Are they setting realistic expectations? Is it defensiveness due to, perhaps, unfair criticism in the past?

Quite possibly, JChan's style of management is much more straightforward and action-oriented with little bluster. (Marketing is a lower priority or seen as weakness). This fits the under-the-hood, technical types.

We live in a world where most companies are cost-cutting across the board. You used to be able to get a hot meal and 2 check-in bags included with your airfare. Airlines are now relegated to fees for check-in bags, and a can of soda and cookies. In 2020, that airline experience was reduced to nothing out of coronavirus concerns. We won't return to the glory days in many industries. As consumers we have to set pragmatic expectations with tempered responses.
  6. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

The work absolutely never, ever, ever speaks for itself in Beta. I also imagine, and this is pure supposition, that there are far fewer serious Beta testers this time around. I know I won't be testing because it's finally sunk in that the feedback is largely ignored after the debacle of an expansion we had with BoL.
    Tkia and Feldon like this.
  7. Iadien Active Member

nevermind, I think I found what I was looking for in the quest category.