Crashing to Desktop at Character Select

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by omgitsbees, Oct 18, 2020.

1. omgitsbees New Member

I get the following error message:

Everquest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.

<verify>
    G:/live/eq2/framework/core/devices/directx9renderdevice.cpp
    (6434):
    DirectX Error, (error)
    00dd659c 007d6dc4

System specs:
    Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCIe NVMe 3.0
    Nvidia RTX 2070 driver 456.71
    Windows 10 Home 64bit, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.1139

I use to have no issues playing EQ2 on this system, i've been away from the game for awhile and decided to start playing again. This is on a fresh install of EQ2 as well.
  2. Kruler New Member

I have the same rig set up apart from I am still using the 1080ti, getting the same error and crash but also randomly if using teleporters or clicking on a crafting table, done fresh install and file verification (may times) have made sure the game is fully downloaded/ pre cached.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

There was a recent Windows 10 update that is causing driver problems. I don't know if that is part of this or not.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

My monitor started flickering after the last Win10 update. I had to go get new Radeon drivers and install.
    Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-windows-update-settings-2625778 - "There is no official way to turn off automatic updating in Windows 10" (note - for "home" version, see below)

in fact win 10 is always beta if it updates auto (opposite is also true). in addition, problems may be not only due to motherboard and/or video board drivers not updated in timely manner, but also due to the firmware of these boards. for example, motherboard might receive an important fix several years after release. so should check manufacturer's website for relevance of firmwares, for example, for laptop. in this regard, use of not newest but time-tested motherboards/video cards/processors (what else is inside?), as well as well tested software, seems relevant. in addition, any new released software is first checked by cybercriminals (and also by some enthusiasts) for all kinds of security vulnerabilities and flaws (secondly, by manufacturers and devs themselves). then there are those who try to exploit these vulnerabilities and flaws. and only then after while, after series of (sometimes loud) incidents, manufacturers and devs fix something (not infrequently creating new problems while). so it's better to use what is tested in all relationships - somehow calmer because of fewer unexpected troubles. in other words, everything is new - for very advanced users and also companies, receiving not only income from sales, but also an army of free testers.

"How to stop automatic updates Using Group Policy Editor Method in Windows 10 Pro":
    one but - in video narrator presses button "ok". and perhaps thinks that he did everything. but "ok" button doesn't mean anything in this case ("apply" button matters)
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Control panel is gone to. Supposedly now part of some app on a Win 10 computer. Yeesh. They should just leave it alone.
    Breanna and Tkia like this.