Illusionist

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Menko, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Menko Member

Couldn't find any current guide on expectations for an Illusionist so
    at the risk of looking foolish, this is how I have been doing it.
    keep in mind, as a returning player of 2 weeks ago, I am seriously lacking dps from fervor and potency and so I am mainly focusing on how to proper mana feed and buffs which seems easy but I dont think ive handled any hard mana drains either. i also havent raided yet and grouped limited times.

Pre-pull: savante, flash of brilliance, peace of mind, pc, pc

after-pull: manatap, theorems, timewarp, spellbind, mimic, then some blue ae's

watching power to see any needs...keeping pc up on two peeps, recasting group temp buffs...
    it also seems using timewarp after the pull in heroics is a waste as it never kicks in until after the mob is dead, so should that be a pre pull cast or do illys just not use it in heroics?

just to reiterate, i was gone for years.
    been back about 2 or 3 weeks.
    grouping with illy for the last week or so.

thanks for any input.
  2. Fatyl New Member

I think there are a couple of ascensions you should add into your pre-pull. Depends on your ascension class though. Sounds like a good methodology on perfect 15 count prepull. Make sure you get Chromatic Shower, Theorems, and Brainburst on the mob at pull. They each have about 6 triggers on them let them go out to the end the biggest hits are the last few triggers. Also remember if you spec'd your AA right Peace of Mind has a chance to reset Time Warp. Granting a total of 10 seconds of fervor group buff. I'm not seeing much from the Double cast or triggers offered by Time Warp but the fervor buff is great. I'm not max level on my spells but PoM & TW give the group 42.5 fervor group buff for the 10 secs. You'll figure out a few other tweaks that will add more DPS to the group.
  3. Menko Member

thank you for your insight, Fatyl.
    I started casting peace of mind after timewarp to get resets and currently out of idk how many times, it has not reset it once.
    this reset is working correctly and i am incredibly unlucky?

as for ascensions, i am etherealist but i have very little knowledge of ascension abilities.
    possible pre pull could be feedback loop, touch of magic, ethereal conduit, ethermancy, but idk really they all seem to have superlong cast times for very short duration effects
  4. Fatyl New Member

This is the AA that clears the reuse of time warp.

[IMG]
  5. Menko Member

don't really know what the pic was going to show but ive had the prestige reset for timewarp if thats what it is and it has never reset it once lol
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

Mine resets about 65% of my PoM casts. If you are not using PoM it wont ever reset. If your using the proper AA spec for PoM to reset Timewarp. Anyone who claims timewarp is a waste, doesn't really play an Illy.
    Scrappyz likes this.
  7. Jrox Well-Known Member

I don't use Savante the way some others do. It's not in my wind up.

FoB / Aura of Power / PC on your pet / TIme warp / PoM / Mimic / blah blah on goes the dps is a decent wind up.

Manatap is in whenever it is up for me just so I don't have to feed power. If we hit the occasional fight where power is just sucked instantly between Manatap's I will use Savante.

I typically use spellbnd right before and nice big hitter. Not mimic and not a blue AE

Maintaining PC on 2 targets now is really not helping you parse as there are ther spells more efficient. TO which I say spend some time on a dummy figuring that out. Understanding how your dmg is created and what it takes to get it there is key to playing any class well.

Timewarp and PoM should be in every time it's up. Think I mentioned that previously. Again, any Illy not using Timewarp isnt worth his weight. It has a fervor buff component. Now I haven't checked to see if it's working or if it got broke at some point and those who know just really aren't sharing, shame on you, but I will check it tonight.

I play in a guild where lots of the people share everything we know about the classes we play so everyone can learn from each other. The days of being a shadow ***** and keeping it all to yourself out of competitive shadiness are gone. We have a couple people in my guild who are unwilling to share, but I have little time for them when they need something. The game is much more fun when everyone is doing well. Not to mention, if your good at something, it doesn't matter what you tell everyone, you will always have the leg up because it is you who is putting in the work. Just my two cents.
  8. Fatyl New Member

I read this a couple months ago and change the way I used Savante. Its basically an extra power feed while your waiting for manatap to come back up. In the SE Heroic last fight it is huge boost. I also run mana soul because I run with some good healers and they heal through it. I don't use it in PuG's.

I'm finding I am able to increase DPS for one lucky toon by 10 - 15% with the right buffs and buff rotation. My DPS has grown substantially and I'm out parsing a lot of our raid healers. I still would like to see more results from Mimic and PM since they took our cloak away.
    Jrox likes this.
  9. Melt Actually plays the game

In ideal circumstances, mimic tops your parse. Mimic an assassin FFU chain and you're beating healers with just a single ability.
    Jrox and Fatyl like this.
  10. Fatyl New Member

Thanks will give it a go!
  11. Jrox Well-Known Member

Mimic is broken
  12. Melt Actually plays the game

https://imgur.com/iTsysRM
    In a good way, yeah it's broken. (that was on an extremely laggy fight. Chanter usually hits over 120 on burns.)
  13. Jrox Well-Known Member

What was that mimic on?
  14. Melt Actually plays the game

Fatal Followup, what you should be mimicing lol
  15. Jrox Well-Known Member

It should be Snippy not Snikkety. No Assassin in my raid, but thanks for the info.

I have been moving my mimic around a lot lately. Trying to find a target even close to that. Necro, BL, Wizard, Swash... All of it sux. But if we ever get an assassin I will def give it a go. However, I don't feel like it's right to require us to have the Assassin to get a good mimic. So I have a fix. Dump mimic all together and give me back my cloak! Problem solved. ;)
  16. Jrox Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this was on a training monkey or dummy to which I can replicate with many classes big spells. But it does not act this way in an actual raid. It drops to nearly a tenth of that damage. I can hit 7trillion off an Anit-Life from a Guardian on the training-dummy but in raid its like 7 billion. Lame!
  17. Geniusincuba New Member

I always cast savante in the pre-pull because the 5 to 10 first seconds my group goes all out, and at the end their blue bar is still full. so I can do my stuff too, and start rotating manatap after that initial burn.
  18. Melt Actually plays the game

That was on Qaaron, raid version.