Fixed Internally Using up rare materials

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Chris Thompson, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Chris Thompson Active Member

I started the new TS quests from Teren's Grasp. I just happened to notice that the recipes default to using rare materials from the harvest bin in my house. Was this intended? Common materials work just fine.
  2. Chris Thompson Active Member

OK This is just not good.
    Not only do the quest items default to rare materials in the harvest bin, they SWITCH BACK TO USING THE RARE MATS each time you complete a combine. Ungood. Double plus ungood.

3. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

This was mentioned in the test server feedback thread.
    Feldon, Kittybock and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Like the Original Post in the thread to get this noticed!!!!
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

It actually uses the smallest stack available for whatever it needs, and yes, this is usually rares first. I've stopped doing the crafting quests as my crafters habitually carry around small stacks of harvest for specific jobs (like city festival quests) and it's a pain to have to manage inventory before I can start or lose them. And after 15 years of not worrying about it there's no way I can train myself to remember to keep changing the selections before I start :(
    Juraiya, Lateana, Feldon and 2 others like this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Yep, this is an issue. I've put a like on the original, but wanted to add some thoughts.
    • It would help if the default for this were limited to the Common tier of mats, and if it were to pull from the highest stack, not the smallest.
    Juraiya, Lateana, Bludd and 3 others like this.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

Basically this is something that needs to be amended in the crafting code itself to use largest stacks first by default and I'm not sure there's anybody there anymore who knows how to make that kind of change.
    Xianthia and Lateana like this.
  8. Bludd Well-Known Member

yeah i wish the crafting station automatically chose from the BIGGEST stacks of applicable mats as opposed to what it does now: picks from the SMALLEST stacks of applicable mats. it eats rares like a mofo :(
    Jinksie and Breanna like this.
  9. Bludd Well-Known Member

i would be incredibly surprised if they dont know HOW, it's putting resources into actually doing it thats the problem
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Almee Well-Known Member

If they can make other changes, like combining harvest nodes, then they can add a line of code to pull from the largest stack. Why they didn't do this is beyond my comprehension and my awful experience, using up rares, is making it really hard for me to play now.
  11. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I've been getting around it by carrying one or two stacks each of the mats of a tier of which I have the most, and not doing the crafting where I have my depots. Had I not read about this issue before I started, I would have run into the same thing, and would probably have gotten pretty ticked.

It's definitely something that should be looked at in the coding. Having it default to rares is NOT a good thing.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Ratalthor Developer

This will be fixed in the upcoming expansion. :)
  13. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

THANKS!

Really!

We would probably love to see this sooner, but knowing this will be changed is REALLY GREAT NEWS. Really. Really really. Really really really. Especially if you plan to go with this "any mats" more often as seems to be the trend lately!

So, THANKS again!
    Griffon Lady, Breanna and Carizia like this.
  14. EmJay Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a new one. Fixes needed in the current game have to wait until the new expansion goes live? When did that become a thing?
    Jaeded, AOE1, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  15. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I got around this by making a crafting house with it's own harvest box. (published it so I just grab all 5 quests, zone to the house, sit on top of the crafting stations I crammed on one spot ((turned em upside down and put a dais over their lil legs so it's easy to stand in reach of em all without feeling claustrophobic for my toon)), hit the recipe I dragged to my hotbar, and craft up all the required items. Then I hit the house button I put on my hotbar, hit "leave"and **Poof**, I'm right there by the quest givers again. ^_^)

I just have to remember not to check my lil pony buddy and accidentally use any rares it might have given me.

I'd like to see the usage of the rares fixed though. Would be nice if the Devs switched the priority so the largest stack gets used first. (Game wide so this doesn't pop up again.)
    I love my guild hall crafting area. ^_^ I just don't want to clean out the rares there. 0.0
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yeah. They're in the screaming rush doing final stuff for the expansion, but... I ended up just offloading all my rares into my bank and doing the crafting with just common mats in my possession.
  17. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I've been grinding these out really fast by putting several stacks of each of the three things I need for only one specific combine of the crafting quests, then sitting next to that particular quest giver, popping the appropriate tradeskill station via the AA line, and then grinding that one quest over and over.

It's much faster than constantly zoning; all you have to do is remember to re-cast the station once every 10 minutes, so it doesn't de-pop in the middle of a combine. I have that extra harvesting bag from the PoP sig line, which obviously helps.

No one else can see the tradeskill station so it doesn't get in anyone's way, and of course I'm a tiny mote of a fae (with double smallness illusions on me), so I don't think I can get in anyone's way, either.

I got something like 500 tokens in a single day, grinding this way. I was doing it several hours; ymmv.
    AOE1, Griffon Lady and Breanna like this.
  18. Ratalthor Developer

Is this issue still happening for anybody?
  19. Zartil Active Member

I believe the quests in question were the GLEESH prequest run up. So now that those are gone the issue should be as well. I know Niami had warning on her site about it.
    Breanna and Juraiya like this.