Farewell Norrath

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avithax, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

When people can't even log into the game, you'll start seeing money drying up fast enough. There's a lot of frustrated people out there tired of shelling out cash to play bugged content, dealing with apathy, launch of a new GU and then one day later, entrance is gone because of problems. Let's throw the content out there and hope something works and if it doesn't maybe it will get fixed or totally ignored because we're busy working on the next thing. It's becoming a predictable cycle.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. AOE1 Well-Known Member

It looked to me like instead of trying to deal with the real problems, they compounded the issue by making these new TLE servers which actually took the play base away form the existing servers. That sure helped alot .. NOT!

NOW, as they have always done, they put Raiders at the top but totally forgetting those that do not have any desire to raid. Having raided for very many years in EQ1 and enjoying it, I tried here for a few years and did NOT find the same feeling of accomplishment so went to soloing. Then came out BoL. The total screwing with the tradeskills and spells crafting and rares out the yang pretty much finished it for me and I know, for a fact, others. This LU put the cherry on the top. I realize they are probably short of staff but are they also short of memory and could they not have kept some semblance as to how this was handled forever?

Anyway I am here until this sub expires so have a few more months already paid for.
    Lateana, Geroblue and Argosunited like this.
  3. Treggar Active Member

Take it easy Avithax.

I can vouch for him having completed challenge mode because I was there when he did it. ;)

I think I am out once my sub expires too... oh wait I have lifetime sub :p
    parissa, Breanna and Fangrim like this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Then you'll be out when you expire! :D
    Siren, Argosunited and Breanna like this.
  5. Tren Member

This. Progression servers are never a good idea, IMO. The resources are better spend developing Live Server content/Game updates, and they should have done server mergers a decade ago. Horrible decision not to do that, as the dying servers saw many people quit instead of transferring (where possible).

The playerbase needed to be consolidated. If any new servers were introduced, it should have been a fast track server for people to level up a bit faster on, if they wanted, and then transfer to a real Live server when they go to level 80 or so (that's how far back this should have been done... back in the Velious era, IMO).

Instead, they decided to go F2P and leverage the cash shop to milk customers for as many dollars as they could - and this disincentivises anyone to return - especially when they have a lot of "catch up" to do.
    Snikkety and Geroblue like this.
  6. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

You're making the assumption that the majority of TLE players, in the absence of TLE, would be playing on a live server. A huge chunk, I'd wager the majority, would not be playing AT ALL if it weren't for TLE servers. The live version of the game is trash, and has been for years. TLE can be a s***show, but I'll take the TLE s***show over the live game dumpster fire every time. That's why TLE exists and they keep pushing out new ones every couple of years. If they didn't, they'd lose those players entirely. And it does damn well help. it helps keep the game profitable, so you can play in your dumpster fire.

So, say "Thank you TLE players for helping to keep my dumpster fire burning."
  7. Elskidorr Active Member

EQ2 has to fix their game if they want people back on live. I wouldn't waste time on this game if not for their TLE. This game is a shadow of what it was, and a money hungry one.
    Soara2 and Xevran like this.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

they have to make a living too , unfortunately they got a lot less people now to fix problems .
    Soara2, Benito and Breanna like this.
  9. doodel New Member

Corporations don't need apologists.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Daybreak is not on the magnitude of a corporation. They are not a division of EA Games, Epic Games, Blizzard, Microsoft, Disney, Amazon, or Apple. Daybreak probably falls under the indie studio banner now more than at any time in its history.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

And point of fact, size of the company has nothing to do with it being a "corporation" or not. That designation has to do with their tax filing. Daybreak Games is an LLC, meaning Limited Liability Corporation."
    Xevran, parissa and Breanna like this.
  12. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The context of the quote matters. He was referencing "corporation" not as a purely legal designation but as a sort of behemoth-esque entity. If applied in the legal context only, it would be slightly disjointed to say: "a mom-and-pops store [LLC] in small town America don't need apologists."
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Also, I feel like some (not all) EQ2 players treat Daybreak as a studio with nearly unlimited resources as a justification for criticism. By contrast, the EQ1 board is fairly pragmatic and tame - accepting the premise of finite resources and limited budgets.
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

And employee salaries, benefits, etc. make up a huge component of most companies. Why do you think when the belt starts tightening that employees are the first to go? I notice when all the employees left, I didn't see a correlating reduction in costs regarding playing the game. In fact, they've skyrocketed in comparison to what other, larger "studios" charge at virtually every level. Contrary to what you might think, I tend to look at the facts on the table and evaluate what is happening, not on supposition, hyperbole or excuse making.

Put another way, if you went out into the marketplace (automobile, toaster, power appliance, etc.) and bought an advertised product and what you got didn't work, was still not working 30 days later, when you went back to the store and returned it, would you accept "well, there's a lot fewer people still working here, but we have to make a living" as a reasonable excuse?
    No you wouldn't. And if you're the company, you have two choices: put out a product consistent with the ability of your employees to produce said product, or you cut back the product to fit the ability of the employees. Failing those choices, your viability in the marketplace doesn't last long.

Trust me, love this game like many of you. And I certainly feel for the people. On the flip side, my name doesn't end in Rockefeller, Sam Walton is no relation, and Jeff Bezos doesn't know me, so I have to make decisions about where to spend my limited resources.
    Fangrim, Argosunited and Wulfgyr like this.
  15. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

$35 per expansion is nothing in 2020. That's equivalent to two movie tickets or dinner for two at a mid-range restaurant. $15/month for All Access is probably not as lucrative as people think with single household items in Costco at that price point.

The problem is a lot of the criticism stems from people whose expectations do not meet reality. Some critics seem to make the assumption that Daybreak is a studio with deep pockets but poor decision-making.

It's a free market. Yet, people continue to come to the boards with delusions of grandeur. There's even individuals thinking EQNext is the only saving grace.

There's a balance to strike. People need to be pragmatic.
  16. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The term "corporate" is also used in non-legal (LLC) jargon such as the following examples:

"I am leaving this boutique firm to apply for a corporate job."

"I plan to go to law school with an emphasis in corporate law."
  17. Bentenn Well-Known Member

/shrug, I for one enjoy the new SE. Refreshing, new scripts, some (not all) mobs that require a little bit of playing and not tank and spank.. it was fun. If you're in a top raid guild, then yes, you will blow through it. Mid level players will take a little longer, thus the 5 day lockout. It was a fun zone. Contested zones were always empty after a while and used to be a place to grind aa's lol.. nothing more really..
  18. AOE1 Well-Known Member

So many excuses for what has gone on. None of which was the fault of the Devs, who were also subject to the same chopping block by the sellers and new owners. Changing the name and splitting what was up into smaller groups is not the answer. A good leader is. They are trying to hold this together with a thread and a prayer. Good luck to them but my dollars will go elsewhere OR I will just retire totally but I cannot continue to pay and log in and do the same tired content with no chances to progress anymore. Done this for far too long already but as stated before, I have already paid for another 6 months so am here till that time is over.
    Ashandra likes this.
  19. Avithax Well-Known Member

Rofl.... we have other games that aren't broken. And no, you can't have her stuff either.
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. Dude Well-Known Member

Welcome back! :p
    Breanna and Snikkety like this.