Farewell Norrath

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avithax, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Avithax Well-Known Member

After 15 years and meeting my wife of 10 years in game the time has come to say farewell. Everquest 2 has turned into an exercise in frustration with the lag and broken content that neither my wife or I can tolerate any more.

I truly believe that the game devs are giving 110% to making EQ2 a better game. To date I have cleared all challenge BoL content and I am left with an empty feeling after doing so. I have thousands of posts in these forums over 3 different accounts all of which I am shutting down. The best part of this game is in the past and while there's a great potential for it to return I am convinced that current owner (Jason Epstein) does not have the vision to make it happen.

I wish you all the best and happiest days and no, you can't have my stuff.
    Soara2, Erudinel, Almee and 7 others like this.
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

You did well to clear all challenge content with 165k potency and so little CB (if your sig is accurate). You'd have to have been carried through most of it. Not meaning to cause offense, but that's where the game is right now. I doubt you could even land a hit on the bosses in Halls with those stats.
    But therein lies a significant part of the problem. And why you are left with an empty feeling having cleared the xpac. It used to be you would need to aquire the following to succeed in EQ2:

1. XP/AA's
    2. Gear
    3. Skill (much more important than the above)

Now you need (I've put $ next to each item where it's either possible or essential to part with some cash):

1. XP/AA's
    2. Old achievements for buffs/runes
    3. Pay to win familiar $
    4. Fully levelled raid/premium mount $
    5. Fully levelled pay-to-unlock mercenary (ideally more than one) $
    6. Gear
    7. Plat infusion
    8. Physical infusion
    9. Spells/CA's levelled $
    10. Bonus infusion $$$ (quite possibly the most important part)
    11. Skill (but nowhere near the amount you used to need)

Without all of these, make no mistake, at the top of the game you are ballast. With them yes you can pull your weight, but once you've conquered all, do you still have that sense of achievement? Or are you just wondering how much it'll cost you to keep this up?

When you (have to) buy your way to success, it's a hollow victory, and it drains the motivation to continue. I take my hat off to those who keep it up, but I expect many many (top end) players planning for the future have a question mark against whether EQ2 will feature for them in 2021.
    Soara2, Almee and Zeddicious like this.
  3. Escape Goat Member

Without EQ what do you and your wife have together? Now it'll be Friday nights of you two staring blankly at each other over salsbury steak TV dinners. She'll accuse you of willfully avoiding cleaning the gutters and you'll make pointed comments about her parking so far from the curb.

Btw can I have your wife's stuff?
    SynnikuL, Soara2, Almee and 1 other person like this.
  4. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I commend your gracious retirement/break.

I like what Azaliil and Moorgard said yesterday: it’s a free market. If you don’t like a game, better to put up and find another game.

I might suggest trying EQ1 in the interim (especially if you have unspent Krono). I noticed several EQ2 players (even diehard critics) on the EQ1 forums. Vice versa, I’ve seen some EQ1 players ask questions on my EQ2 server gen chat.

Good luck in your endeavors.
    Cassta and Lateana like this.
  5. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

@tanto
    P2W is why I quit raiding this xpac.
    Soara2, Quillyne, Almee and 3 others like this.
  6. Wizhood New Member

Yeah I joined back myself and I got to lvl 120 on multiple toons, had a good time doing the solos but once that was done it lost all fun.. No casual content, I have to either group with 1 person tops in a solo or spend hours looking for gear to be able to do heroics, then once you get the gear to do heroics there is no groups for your class. It should have been planned better, Dev's whomever made bad choices in the last few expansions locking all the casual play out of the game. This is an MMO grouping is kinda the important factor here but when you gate crap behind solos to heroics that leaves alot of people out, No wonder this game is failing. It will be dead in no less then 5 years.. Its sad because it was a great game before, quality dungeons with puzzles to solve and group content... Well the memories were fun, now I can go spend my $ else where. Good luck EQ2 dev and employees hope Daybreak can figure out something for yas to do when they close it up..
    AOE1 and Almee like this.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The casual game felt balanced during Chaos Descending. It was probably due to the fact that there was a central hub in Myrist. You could easily join in on Wind/Water PQs but also rerun Solos in the various elemental planes.

I am of the strong opinion that future expansions should be designed around hubs (centralize population). Azaliil made the remark that centralizing population enhances player experience (i.e. tunnel in East Commonlands and North Freeport bank on EQ1; Myrist Elemental platform on EQ2).
    Vulnere likes this.
  8. Wizhood New Member

Problem is there should be more contested zones... I met most of my eq friends while doing them... EQ1 and EQ2.. Friendships in MMO's happen in those, there are alot of shy people who play MMO's because they want to be social and be part of something but trying to join a group in channels can be hard, being able to explore a dungeon slowly, and bring in more people the deeper and harder it gets has always been fun.. The solos suck I am sorry, they are to short and underwhelming. Dungeon crawls are a major part of MMO's. EQ2 has **** for dungeon calls now. The dev team is not very creative. Creative has gone out the windows =( The cave in Blinding with the bugs, that could have been a great dungeon crawl, it could have been made bigger and better. The cave in Austialrn coast could have been done like that, mushroom side as well as the Samba village people. But no copy and paste the zones for the solos/heroics.. Now they give more Heroic/Raid content but nothing to get new players to join or keep casuals.. I paid 3 months ahead on two accounts, spent alot of $ of market place now they lost my bussiness =( I really wanted to be able enjoying this game but the lack of content at cap for casuals just dont cut it...
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I echo the call for contested zones/dungeons. Fabled Kael was great, and I'm so disappointed that the new Sol's Eye zone is an instance.
    After the success and adulation Fabled Kael enjoyed, why? Why go away from contested dungeons?
    Soara2 and Jrox like this.
  10. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Gninja addressed this around the KA release. In a nutshell, he said new contested zones were being abandoned because there was not enough player activity to justify the resources they needed.

If course, they'd also open fabled versions of the old contested zones which was content that I really enjoyed running.

I'm not sure why they decided to make Sol's Eye an instance, and that decision was a bad one that seems to reveal yet another instance of designers not understanding their customers.
    Soara2, Geroblue and Kheldar like this.
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

there is likelihood that they will return. that's why he said: "..and no, you can't have my stuff" (J. through week - 92)
    Soara2 and Almee like this.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

Everyone comes back sooner or later.
    SynnikuL, Siren and Breanna like this.
  13. Xevran Well-Known Member

Yeah I quit after KA. It's so tough because I do love this game, it's just that the game content keeps getting worse and worse while the devs ask for more and more money.

I've heard that they finally have game balance passable on TLE this expansion which gives me hope that the next TLE will be better than Kaladim. I've just about given up hope on the live servers though.
    Almee and Kheldar like this.
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

1. Paying players are happy to keep the lights on.

2. Daybreak pays a living wage. (See controversy with Blizzard). It's expensive to live in San Diego.

3. It's a free market.
  15. Argosunited Well-Known Member

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    HoF will miss you. :(
    Almee, Lateana, Kheldar and 1 other person like this.
  16. Thalador Active Member

Can I have your stuff? :cool:
  17. Elskidorr Active Member

I'm hoping they don't rush out another TLE. It's pretty fun where it is currently and I'm looking forward to expansions to come. I don't have interest in returning to classic/DoF for 8 months though. No thanks. It's understandable in EQ1 where classic-PoP is seen as the golden years but EQ2 classic and lackluster DoF just doesn't have the content to waste that long in the era, especially with knowing they'll drop another TLE to erase the old.
    Xevran likes this.
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

@Avithax Good Luck out there !
    Soara2 and Almee like this.
  19. Almee Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about all the new content anymore. I gave it my best shot, in BoL. I got 16 characters to 120 and realized I wasn't having fun, so I took some time off, re-evaluated what I did find fun to do in the game, and decided it was playing in the older zones before stats and gear and spells, etc., all got insane.

And I've been having a good time ever since. I'm going back and doing quests I didn't get to before and just taking my time leveling characters in orphan classes that seem to have been forgotten by the devs and players. There are tons of quests to do plus I have a whole roster of characters on Thurgadin to level up so I've been keeping busy.

But I understand what others are saying here. The P2W factor is one major reason I abandoned BoL. I found it crazy to pay money to do things that brought me little or no satisfaction.

The one (and only one) thing I liked about BoL adventuring was that leveling was fast and didn't require going into the dungeons to get to 120. That fact alone kept me shelling out $45+ a month even when the game was a total disaster.

And at level 116, I found there was nothing about tradeskilling that brought me satisfaction so I only have three characters with 110+ tradeskills.

I have no idea what the next xpac will be like but I assume it will be the dark side of the moon. Maybe it will have some good stuff in it and maybe not. If it is a dud, I still have enough content to get me through at least another year of being isolated by the pandemic. But I feel for the rest of you.
    Siren, AOE1, Argosunited and 2 others like this.
  20. Mizri Active Member

I'm the same as you, Almee. BOL is a massive C.F. so I spend my time in older content exploring and having fun running quests I haven't done before and leveling classes I haven't played before.

I sure hope a few resources are devoted to crafting this next expansion.
    Siren, AOE1, Argosunited and 3 others like this.