Dungeon Finder

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Jnrai, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Jnrai Member

One question. Why does every single successful MMORPG game on the market currently have an automated LFG system, except Everquest 2?

Jnrai - Group Leader - Level 28 Shadowknight - Ruins of Varsoon 5/6 (Request Invite)
    Open the group finder tab, browse active groups, click on the button and be invited. Simple, right? Why isn't this available already, seriously?

Counter arguments maybe LFG chat exists or join a leveling guild. First of all, the lfg chat places all the responsibility on group leaders. They need to send the same message over and over again every 5 minutes for as long as it takes to fill the group. Plain and simple, that is annoying, and a road block to creating groups. Furthermore, guilds just don't have enough activity to run low level content consistently, and guild groups usually resort to spamming LFG chat anyway.

Lastly, I personally only enjoy dungeon content and end game raiding, and my work schedule makes it difficult to play alts. Waiting around reading LFG 45+ minutes just to play the game is not fun, please just automate a group application system.
  2. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

They've tried to implement this a couple times, but they always implement in terribly. There's no good reason for it. We were supposed to have one, but the devs failed and then gave up.
  3. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

the dungeon finder we had in game was for player made dungeons , that don't exist anymore for say , and we for sure would not have those on any TLE.
    I agree that it would be helpful to have one that connects any people interested in a particular dungeon .
    We even had cross server dungeon finder , but that did not work out .
    At this point and with the age of the game I am afraid there won't be any of that coming our way .
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

There was an LFG/LFM tool but nobody used it. Then there was a dungeon finder, and it had an absolutely abysmal matchmaking algorithm so after about 10 minutes nobody used it.

EQ2 class mechanics, in particular with regards to class synergies are, in my view, a bit more complicated than many other MMOs, making an automated dungeon finder tool more challenging from a developer perspective. Yes, there are the traditional trinity roles, but there are definitely cases where certain class combos are going to be far more optimal over others. So the alternative that is touted is a group maker tool, so that the group leader at least has the choice on what they want. That's definitely a step up from spamming chat channels. I think that's about as good as we can hope to expect - I can't see the concept of an automatic matchmaking LFG tool being feasible in EQ2. But I think that would be a decent alternative.
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

o yea one of the dungeon finders that did work was the level agnostic one, it was not optimal ,but having meet everybody at a medium level made the deal more doable .
    That is also why this choice of dungeons were possible across servers.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Defub New Member

I've always liked that EQ2 doesn't have one. Maybe it's just me, but running to the zones is half of the fun.
    Cacofonix likes this.
  7. Venser Active Member

Kinda necro post... but eq2 kind of had a similar feature using the LFG system, you could build a group looking at the LFG panel.