My Experience coming back to Eq2 / Kaladim

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Vulnere, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Vulnere Active Member

So I'm an old geezer. I played eq1 at launch.. Meridian59 before that.. I wrote one of the first online mmo in 1979 at the university of Minnesota. Anyway. So I've played on and off for a long time.

The last time I played 'seriously' was about 3.5 year ago.. I was the MT raid healer for over a year. It eventually dominated my personal life, so to preserve my marriage I had to stop raiding.

So I decided to just fart around and chrono down with a merc and do old content.. and some of that was fun.. but every time I did that, I wasn't doing daily missions.. summer ethereals.. all this 'planes of magic stuff' where I had to religiously read scrolls.. the more fun I let myself have, the more I fell behind.

So I left the game.

I came back 2 months ago to Kaladim, as I figured I could experience the old content without the temptation of missing all that god level stuff. And.. to some extent.. it's worked out.

But I've discovered it's just NOT possible for me to do any heroic content with 1 or 2 characters and no mercs.
    So I've not been able to do any heroics, which has drastically reduced my fun.

yes.. yes... yes.. I've tried for a month to find a guild that fits my play style.. no go.. I need a larger guild (don't seem to be any of those on Kaladim), where the focus isn't just on raiding, which I don't want to do.. but with lots of people who like to do heroics, and at all hours of the day or night, randomly, not scheduled, as that's when I can play. No go.

So I have 4 level 70 characters, and I'm bored now, don't even want to re-experience Kunark.

Somehow, when I first came back, I thought mercs would be enabled.. and when I discovered they weren't (and may never be?) I was crushed.

Also, I had always wanted a little 'personal guild', for all my army of alts (I have 19). So I did that.. I'm the not-so-proud owner of a level 41 guild.. with myself as the only member... Iv'e recruited a fair bit.. but nobody wants to join anything except a raid guild, which I understand. It was also STAGGERINGLY disappointing that I couldn't get a guildhouse and guild perks. I could have at least worked on those. No go. I've got a nice Premium house with crafting stations, depots galore, etc.. but even I don't use them.. it feels too lonely. I just craft at the crafters union.

So out of boredom, I bought the Luclin expansion.. to play with overseers. That has been VERY frustrating.. it only drops junk nobody would ever want... I bought like 4 personal depots to hold the junk, but I don't think I'll ever want any of it.

On Overseers, I heard about free charged missions.. so I spent 4 hours looking for the administrator Stanley. He's listed in eq2maps etc.. but he doesn't exist on Kaladim. That was frustrating.. nobody ever mentioned that anywhere online.. there is so little info on Kaladim online.

So... i still had these level 100 characters/monsters of 10 hotbars of stuff I no longer remember or understand.. I thought I'd see how overseer worked on one of those.. and went to see if stanley existed on live servers.. and of course he did.

So.. to get charged missions for kaladim, I had to go to live on another server to find Stanley.

When I did some overseer missions on Skyfire, I got level 115 fabled mastercraft stuff.. infusers.. even got a level 120 fabled and two mercs! Geeze... a bit better than the rubbish gather loot on Kaladim.

So I'm in a conundrum.

I don't want to play luclin on Live servers.. I don't feel like experiencing the sense of panic that I"m falling behind on summer ethereals/scrolls/ all that bloated god-level nonsense.

I'm burned on playing on Kaladim.. what I wanted to do is not possible there.

Any suggestions?
  2. Naneel Member

Maybe look for a large guild on another server that supports casual heroics. Even if you only do casual heroics, you're usually going to be grouped with people who are not casual but hopefully they are the benevolent sort and not the condescending sort.
  3. Vulnere Active Member

I'd hoped to play on Kaladim, as I'm not a fan of what the game designers did in terms of ascended skills. I don't like them, and I don't want them. I wish they would remove them.

Frankly?

Since eq1 launched, i've never found the 'large friendly guild that does heroics'.

I've been in builds that are either barely alive, or in large raid guilds, with all sorts of pressures
    and politics. Does the sort of guild I'd enjoy playing in even exist?
  4. Ghorast Active Member

eq2 expansions didn't have many instances until TSO and contested zones are used mainly for leveling and botting and most raids are so easy any guild can clear most of it so that naturally leads to every guild raiding, this version of the game has barely any content for heroic only players
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

Unholy Mercenaries on Skyfire is doing level-locking content, which may be something for you. On Kaladim, I see Mass Exodus and Faydark Knights usually grouped.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  6. Vulnere Active Member

Are you suggesting that it wouldn't be uncommon for people in many guilds to have a negative attitude
    about a player who put in many, many hours in-game, but didn't want to be a raider?
  7. Zenji Well-Known Member

There are several casual guilds that raiding is not required. But if you are looking for an active guild that just doesn't raid at all, then TLE is probably not the place to be. Most want to experience all of the content, even if at a casual pace.
    But it sounds like you don't want to be part of a community, you just want to have a guild roster to fill your heroic dungeon groups when ever you log in.
    If that is the case, you should check out WoW. You can log in, queue up for heroic dungeons with strangers you don't have to talk to at any hour of the day.
    Anib, Bleed and Fangrim like this.
  8. Vulnere Active Member

When I was last raiding, my wife got increasingly hostile that I was reserving 4 to 8 PM on sundays for raiding, and couldn't even get up to use my monkey arms to get a jar off the top shelf for her. It led to strife. If it's as you say, raiding is so simple and it's all there really is, if I can't raid, then perhaps the real answer is that I can't play. That's too bad. I have played since EQ1 launch. I really like the game.I haven't even seen 1/2 the heroic instances, people won't go into them. I've only raided maybe 25% of the zones. It's sad.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. Vulnere Active Member

You are mis-perceiving me completely. I don't want to 'fill my guild roster'. I'd happily pull any number of characters (except one to keep it alive) out of it to join an active guild. And I'm not saying a guild that doesn't raid at all. If I could find one that raided during a time that my wife was sleeping, I might well go back to raiding some.

I'd love to be part of a community. I just have a real life too, that has to be worked around.

I don't like wow. I played it a lot for a few years, and I don't like pickup groups much at all.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  10. Vulnere Active Member

Thanks for that info. That might be good info for me.
    Carynn likes this.
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

You'd be welcome to come check us out on AB. Lava Forged is mostly made up of older players. We run heroics and many of us participate in the various raid alliances that AB offers (3 right now) There is an active daytime and evening crew. Some folks raid, some don't....no pressure to raid or not. RL first & foremost though.

Quite a few of us have been gaming together for years. Others are new friends we've gotten to know since we came back to AB.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...va-forged-ab-recruiting-friendly-folk.560972/
    Carynn and Rosyposy like this.
  12. Vulnere Active Member

I have my old characters (level 95 to 110) on skyfire.I
    have my 11 new characters on kaladim.

would anyone know, when Kaladim winds down, will we be dumped on AB, did I hear?
    or don''t we know yet?

If Kaladim is to become AB, maybe I'll take you up on your offer, by moving some
    of my skyfire accounts over... friendly older players (I"m 59) who also run heroics
    sounds nice to me. I have a friend who might want to try EQ2 for the first time too
    (poor sod.. eq2 is a heavy lift for new players).
    Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  13. Carynn Well-Known Member

Kaladim will most likely be merged to AB, as that's where the last two were merged. It will likely happen in 2021 sometime.
    Vulnere and Rosyposy like this.
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

I think that players had a period to choose where they wanted to go when the last TLE servers shut down. After that period, everyone remaining was moved to AB.
    Breanna and Vulnere like this.
  15. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Toons on both Stormhold and Fallen Gate received transfer tokens. Any toon that didn't use one was moved to AB.
    Breanna, Vulnere and Dude like this.