An idea for the next TLE server line

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Jovie, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Jovie Well-Known Member

While people love tle servers, they tend to offer nowhere near the experience of the game when it first came out.
    My idea would take a great deal of time and effort from the developers, but i feel it would be worth it.

Quite simply put, the next tle server should accurately reproduce the starting experience as it was when the game launched.
    You start on the boat and end up on the isle and you complete the isle and then more to the neighborhoods where you quest for citizenship and to discover your class.
    1. Start out as Fighter, Priest, Mage and Scout
    2. Level 10 quest for your sub class:
    -Fighter
    warrior
    brawler
    crusader
    -Priest
    druid
    cleric
    shaman
    -Mage
    sorcerer
    enchanter
    summoner
    -Scout
    bard
    predator
    rogue
    3. At level 20 quest for your final class, the 24 original classes.

Go back to the original class/alignment restrictions, It was basically 12 good and 12 evil.

I assume that much of what the tle does is tied in with live game coding, but surely you all have the ability to sort it out?

This would also require you to bring the quest lines back into the suburbs, which should never have left there in the first place.

So there you have it. I think anyone who has followed the game since its birth and perhaps those who started late and missed the original way to things would find it brilliant.
  2. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

This has been brought up literally every time a new TLE is mentioned. It isn't going to happen. The code and data is long since gone, and the effort required to re-create it would basically mean writing the game from scratch. It's a non-starter. It took long enough to bring the darn starter islands back. They'd need Blizzard-level resources to pull it off.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  3. Kahleem Active Member

I'm struggling to have fun on Kaladim because i'm an alt-aholic, and I'm mainly an end-game player with those alts. I'm struggling to play on Kaladim because the exp rates are too low for me.

That being said, I love that Kaladim's end-game is scaled down for less experienced players needed, and less geared toons needed because I've been able to play with a LOT of super-casual players i wouldn't have normally been able to play with on previous TLEs.

I'd prefer the next TLE remain the same difficulty in terms of content as Kaladim, but 50% more exp base rate than Kaladim, and a higher chance of looting rare things.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  4. Jovie Well-Known Member

Tired old excuses galore. They use it in eq1 with the so called spaghetti code and they use it here. I suppose they are short on staff, but that isn't our fault. Anything worth doing is worth putting the time and effort into it.

Everything is being done halfway. Restore the suburbs but refuse to put the quest lines back in them? Blah.

They restored the boat and the islands and the suburbs, they are half way there. Put in the effort and restore the rest of the removed code. Hell, you would think that they still have the original code from release somewhere, hiding, that they could just renew.
  5. Jovie Well-Known Member

The obvious solution for someone like you is Rivervale. You can bauble every character to 95 and skip right to the end game.
  6. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I can tell you've never worked in software development. :)

That isn't even remotely close to being "half way" there. That's more like, 1% of the way there.

In a perfect world, they'd have archives going back to the beginning. We don't live in a perfect world, however. Developers have come and gone, and EQ2 has undergone massive mechanics overhauls on more than one occasion. Stuff that you can't just roll back, recompile, and get on with the rest of your day. Besides, the devs have repeatedly said that code from back in the day has long since been lost. And even if they were lying about that, it doesn't really matter because it probably wouldn't even work anyway. You'd basically have to do like Blizzard did with WoW Classic, and work on trying to re-create the old mechanics on the modern client/server platform, using the old code as a reference. Difference being that Blizzard has an entire team dedicated to Classic. So unless the magic money fairy drops a fat pile of cash on Darkpaw's doorstep, I don't see that happening for EQ2 any time soon.

So yeah, we can keep beating this dead horse over and over again, but I'd prefer to keep my expectations in check. It's a nice idea and all, just not one I'd pin my hopes on.