c:\Crash directory

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Hiburp, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Hiburp Member

EQ2 has been creating the directory c:\Crash and not removing it ever since beta.
    TechUp likes this.
  2. TechUp Active Member

I never noticed that until now. I have all my games installed on a drive other than C: but yep as soon as eq2.exe launches, it creates that folder.
  3. Irrixess New Member

It also occasionally records a dump file, DMP, in that directory. As to if the root drive is a "proper" location is another discussion for subjectable file structuring conventions. My EQ2 is installed at the C:\. I cannot tell you if the crash folder is created alongside the installation folder, or if that is a static location predetermined by the client
  4. TechUp Active Member

It appears to be created during the initial startup of the eq2.exe executable. I deleted the folder and ran the "launcher" and verified that the folder wasn't there. I then ran the .exe and it created the folder within a matter of seconds. Subsequent tests had the same results. It's not a "big" deal to me other than my C: is a SSD and I try to keep it as on O/S only drive. I'd prefer the application to have that folder in the same folder as the rest of the Eq2 files but as you said that is another discussion altogether. :)
  5. Oradim Well-Known Member

Looks like it is hardcoded into (at a minimum) the EverQuest2.exe binary. Maybe other places like DLLs as well but I'm too lazy to check right now:
    Code:
    $ strings EverQuest2.exe | findstr /i /c:"c:\crash"

C:\Crash\

Firing up WinDbg to take a quick peek at what sort of (virtual) memory madness or otherwise is in one of the mini-dump files shows someone was being naughty:
    Code:
    Attempt to write to address 00000000

Maybe the code unintentionally slipped out into the wild at some point, but an interesting question is what is supposed to happen with the mini-dumps after they are created?

Is the intention that the game try to upload them sort of like "reporting" an issue to Microsoft?

Or do they just accumulate like lonely unloved barnacles?

Or, gee, maybe there will be a new overseer mission to clean them up?

I don't know, I haven't played for a few months but this seemed interesting and I noticed I had some mini-dump files in that directory. No doubt someone who knows more about this stuff than me can better comment.
  6. Bunji Developer

Yes, when the EQ2 client "crashes" we attempt to create / upload a dmp file to a host tracking those issues. We use this info to help us track down issues.
  7. Hiburp Member

The directory should be in the the AppData directory not the root directory.