Character switching on Thurgadin always fails

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tkia, May 25, 2020.

1. Tkia Well-Known Member

This has been going on for a couple of months or so now. Every time I use /camp <character> or just /camp on Thurgadin only I get a 'can't connect to login server error'. Logging in initially has no problems, although I always see a 'trying login server 1' before it carries on through, and zoning has no problems. And there are no problems at all with US and test regions.

Tonight I tried patching over to the US servers and back to see if it fixed anything. No. Switching worked fine while talking to the US login servers and failed again as soon as I patched back to use EU. I did notice that the only file getting changed in the patching was eq2_default.ini and as I use separate directory installs for each region I opened up the files for each and played spot the difference.

The only significant difference was in the cl_ls_address setting pointing to the relevant login server. While this was expected I did also notice that both the working US and test region files were using IP addresses while the EU region file was using a hostname. As the whole problem smacks of a timeout issue I manually tracked down the IP for that hostname and substituted it into the file. Lo and behold I can now happily switch back and forth between characters and the character select screen with no isses. Until tomorrow when no doubt the file will get patched back to the hostname that doesn't resolve fast enough :(

Please update the EU region ini file to use IP addresses as the other 2 regions do so that I won't have to re-edit my file to make this work after every server patch. :cool:
    Dude, Rosyposy and Whilhelmina like this.
  2. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Wow. That is interesting. /camp to another toon has failed more often than not for me ever since Kaladim opened, and I also think it's a timeout issue. I don't have the issue as much on Thurgadin and Test but the live servers are horrible, to the point if I am in a hurry I just close the game and log back in as it's faster than waiting to see if /camp will work this time.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

I play on US servers and the EU server, this only happens to me on the EU Thurgadin server...
    Breanna and Tkia like this.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

Odd, I have no trouble with Kaladim as it's on the US region which uses IP addresses in the file. You could check your file for lingering hostnames but it should be getting updated by the launcher. It may depend where you are relative to the login servers as this will affect the response time.

I've been on several toons on Thurgadin today and switching still works fine as long as I stay away from the launchpad.
  5. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

To be clear, I have the /camp issue on every server. I use everquest2.exe to log in always - I only open the launchpad to update. I also checked my eq2_default.ini and the US installation did have the IP address. If the servers are in San Diego, they are not that far away from me...
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Not sure what else to suggest for you :(
    Rosyposy likes this.
  7. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I've tried everything, up to and including a fresh install and a petition. It's slightly better now.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Thundarez Member

It gets through the first few screens of the log in, but then crashes when it gets to the 'Loading resources' bit. I don't even get to 99% on that screen when I'm making a switch. It just won't go any further and immediately crashes out. The only thing I can see is an issue a few years back where I would have to change my profit ui to a standard one. I don't want to do this because if that doesn't work, it's back to square one with even more time wasted. This was okay before we had the issues last week. All of a sudden, it refuses to play ball.
  9. Thundarez Member

It gets through the first few screens of the log in, but then crashes when it gets to the 'Loading resources' bit. I don't even get to 99% on that screen when I'm making a switch. It just won't go any further and immediately crashes out. The only thing I can see is an issue a few years back where I would have to change my profit ui to a standard one. I don't want to do this because if that doesn't work, it's back to square one with even more time wasted. This was okay before we had the issues last week. All of a sudden, it refuses to play ball. Oh, and it's an American server I'm on