For how long are the EQ2 raiders gonna accept this raid lag?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by dirgenoobforreal, Apr 27, 2020.

1. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

3 weeks now. 3 weeks of no fun super laggy raiding and I still only see a few people mention it on discord and absolutely zero mentioning of it on this forum.

How long are we as raiders gonna accept that the endgame is pretty much unfun and has been for weeks? I mean people pay for this service and if they can only pay half the game, this is something that should be the number one priority to fix.

I know eq2 have had a long history of lag issues, is this why people dont even bother reporting it any longer? I mean 3 weeks of not being able to play the game optimally because every lags behind for several seconds should never be acceptable. Any other MMO would have been throw under the bus by now for this kind of service.

Also the last 48 hours there seems to have been issues with logging in to some accounts and this has still not been acknowledged any where.
    Sigrdrifa and PurpleChicken like this.
  2. dorotea1 New Member

The logging in issue seems to have hit many people again the last day or two. As witness half a dozen or more threads on the topic. It is unfortunate that no developer has even acknowledged the problem yet as far as I have noticed.

As for raid lag - if all the raiders aren't screaming that tells me that one of two things is almost certainly true. Either the lag is a lot worse for you than for the rest of them and the issue may be in whole or in part with your set-up or computer. Or else you are fussier than they are and what they consider a minor annoyance you think of as "throw under the bus" lag. You talk about playing "optimally". I have never played a MMO where there was no lag and everything was optimal.
  3. Beee Well-Known Member

Fake News - Lag was removed by ruining Conjurer Elemantal Blast with the >>patch on june 23th<< last year :p
  4. Occam Well-Known Member

If you don't see anyone mentioning raid lag on Discord, you're not paying attention.

As far as people talking about it here on the official forums, you're absolutely correct. These forums are more about the player community sharing info, whereas Discord is where you go if you want to actually communicate with the devs. Plus, most of the serious raiders know that they don't have to keep pounding it into the ground. The devs know. You're welcome to go post about it multiple times on Discord, but all you're going to do is annoy the devs and waste their time. The less they have to answer the same questions over and over, the more time they have to actually try to figure out the issue.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

It is there sometimes, but sometimes it is not. Not a big deal though...it has always been there one way or another. We raided in the Wracklands successfully this Sat & Sun... a couple of peeps zone crashed, but got back on eventually. It can be annoying, but we've not seen anything game killing?
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I just upgraded my MOBO, CPU, and video card to modern gaming standards, although I usually raid in the lowest graphics settings possible, despite the new gear.

While I have less lag in general, what we're seeing is button lag. Click a hot button, wait a few seconds, spell casts. The button lag isn't constant, it comes and goes.
    Bhayar, Breanna and dirgenoobforreal like this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Agree with Sig's assessment. It's a little disconcerting when your hit a button to cast a healing spell as your team's health is dropping and the casting bar fills and then stops, pauses and casts the heal. And it tends to amplify the effect by stockpiling spells you cast almost as though you invented a new macro. I've seen 2-3 spells "stack up" waiting to be actually cast in game.
    Marina Mawr likes this.
  8. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Its not your computer or your connection, its in how they handle data on the server. Its been an ongoing blight for years, directly tied to the growing number of calculations and amount of data managed by the server. An unintended result of the stat-flation that has occurred on characters, familiars, mercs, gear in the same time frame. The more stats and calculations you add, the longer it takes for the server to process each request. Multiply that by the number of actions you take and the number of actions taken by others in your group/raid/zone and we watch the server code fall on its face time and time again. I can only imagine the nastiness of if statements in their stat/server code calculations.
    Benito likes this.
  9. Rotchi Active Member

To answer the topic question: They have accepted it for over 10 years, so I am sure they accept it for 10 more.
  10. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

The thing is, the raid lag was acceptable for a few months after the Luclin release. Then, after the recent database migration, something totally messed up the stability of the servers and ability lag is insane and have been so for close to 4 weeks now.

They said it was an issue with their CDN and it should have been fixed the 21th at 7pm PDT. Now its the 28th and the lag is as bad as ever and there have been total radio silence since then. People are paying to play this and if people cant even play the limited endgame without 3-4-5 seconds of ability lag, how are people supposed to have fun playing?
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I have been playing Fortnite during the pandemic. That game is super laggy (as opposed to a year ago). Fortnite player skins won't even load for iOS users anymore. I think it's the general principle of entropy. I agree with the abovementioned assessment of calculation overload. As games age and years of spaghetti code is built on top of another, performance will decline. Ngreth can't even add new illusions on EQ1 because he's reached the memory limit on global file models. :(
    Raff likes this.
  12. Avithax Well-Known Member

Darkpaw's concern regarding this topic will expire in 0.0 seconds.
    PurpleChicken and Scrappyz like this.
  13. Gninja Developer

We are actively looking into the lag. It is a priority.
  14. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

Thanks Gninja, I know the raid council has also been reporting this. We need more cowbell ;)
  15. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Would be much appreciated. We were in Wracklands last nite running raid and Shai'Halud as we like to call the rockworm, was the laggiest instance we've seen all year and that's saying something. Hit the hotbar button and nothing would happen. You'd hit two or three buttons before you'd see anything actually happen.
  16. Jrox Well-Known Member

Confirmed, our raid was seeing 3-7 second button lag on Tuesday night in Vista Challenge raid.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My opinion is there are at least a million more people on the Internet these days.

Might be time for the Internet backbone to be upgraded. I first noticed the lag about 1990/1991 when every one would check email during their lunch, and right after they got home from work. It was like 50 mobs attacking my character, I couldn't turn, fly away, run, nothing. It was almost 1200 bps typing speeds.

Then the backbone got upgraded, and it worked fine for years. Then it started up again.

There have been other instances around the US, and other countries.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

Not sure on your numbers there,, 1995 is when most consider the start of user level internet with the development of SSL and iirc it was a couple of years until online games started to appear (UO in 97 comes to mind).

I agree with you about bandwidth though. Everyone staying home from work streaming 24/7 can't help when it comes to playing online and with Darkpaw using "Bob's Burgers and Server Hosting" I doubt this game gets any priority.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I was working at a job with a small bandwidth. We could tell when people were checking email because the phone started ringing with questions about our internet connection being down or not.

I could type something about 30 words per minute, and watch each character being shown on the screen very slowly. Very slowly. When lunch was over with, my typing, our connection was through another office about 75 miles away, characters would speed back up to normal.

My typing had to go 75 miles, and come back, before they showed on my screen. Barely noticable until lunch, when I could see each character slowly show up on my screen. Lunch over. The characters showed up quickly. It would had to have been in 1990/1991.
  20. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Lag has been moderate except for one zone and that's the continuing sage of the Giant Sandworm in Wracklands. It's completely horrible. Not sure why this particular zone seems immune to any efforts to handle lag, but it's a fact.