Server Maintenance and DB Downtime Round 1 - March 24, 2020

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 23, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

All EverQuest II Servers will be brought offline on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 7:00 AM PDT (14:00 UTC). Estimated downtime is expected to last up to 2 hours.

[REMINDER]
    Database Maintenance during downtime:

Round 1

Start: Tues 3/24 @ 7am

Duration: 24hr downtime

Servers: Maj’Dul, Isle of Refuge, Kaladim, Antonia Bayle, Drunder

[REMINDER]

Update notes for this downtime can be found in the Game Update Notes forum once they are available.
    draidean, Kelddana, Prox and 5 others like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Er? I thought it'd start later than this? :eek:

EDIT: Nope, I misremembered... :-/

Uwk
    now having to scramble tonight... ;->
    Cassta and Breanna like this.
  3. Katzandra Well-Known Member

Any chance the Chrono event gets an extension for those of us that procrastinated?
    Cassta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. rattz New Member

hmmm,

I appreciate servers need to be maintained, but with current situation regarding the coronavirus & most countries on lockdown so we are all stuck at home, taking the server down for 24 hours is pretty bad timing is it not as this is when most people will be playing the game!? why not postpone the downtime?
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I imagine it's probably immensely complicated, technically, and everything's been set up for days if not weeks in advance of this, so yeah, it probably would be a major fustercluck (thanks for that...Draidean? Great term! :D) to try to re-set everything...and besides, it may be either this or have everything blow up worse ("Ya got two choices, sir. Either redo the transmission now, which'll take a couple days, or redo the entire engine later, which'll take a lot longer."), in such a way that it might likely demand everyone being there in person to try to fix. :-/

At least, I do believe they've taken steps to adjust things to the point where they can be handled remotely, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't be a bad idea. :-/

If you've got toons on all the servers (I do on all the non-TLE/special servers [the four US ones, Thurgadin, and Public Test]), yeah, that'll be a PitA, but it's only for 24 hours for each group. And besides, Public Test isn't on the list! Come join us there! We need all the Testers we can get! :D

Uwk
  6. Prox Well-Known Member

To maintain my sanity , I may be forced to make a new character on test .....lol
  7. Marae Well-Known Member

"TRADESKILLS
    • Harvestables will once again state a 10 level range based on the harvest items level."
    Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

As for the 24-hour downtime (which I am facing on Thurgadin Thursday) - maybe now I can get some Real Life done... eyes the dishes in her sink :D
    Cassta, Rosyposy, Eloise and 5 others like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Come to the Public Test Side... :D

Hopefully, we'll get our materials fixed there, too. :-/

Uwk
    Cassta, Rosyposy, Marae and 1 other person like this.
  9. yerbo Member

So, after many months away I decide to come back to EQ2. Within 3 days I find there is a 24 hr shutdown. In all my years playing EQ2 I don't recall a 24 hr shutdown. Very glad I decided to start out with free to play. I highly doubt I'll get a subscription after this introduction back to the game, especially since 23 hrs could well mean 48.....sigh
  10. oraclesword New Member

First line says "up to 2 hours" Then it says "Duration: 24hr"....which is it?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. Faehammer New Member

Every gamer understands downtime, but 24 hour downtime during a double XP event is an odd decision.
  12. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

for the servers not listed under the reminder everything else should be up.
  13. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

The double XP event was unplanned, the database maintenance was.
    Cassta, Rosyposy, Breanna and 4 others like this.
  14. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Multiple reasons the downtime could not be postponed. This maintenance is necessary for other things to occur.
    Cassta, Rosyposy, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  15. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Yup!
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Its a database move to hopefully speed up various aspects of the game.

I don't think they planned this just as you came back.
    Cassta, draidean, Whilhelmina and 8 others like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There were several earlier official posts about the planned database migration thing, with a selection (Antonia Bayle, Drunder, Isle of Refuge, Kaladim, and Maj’Dul for the first one, today) being affected on two separate days, with Halls of Fate, Rivervale, Skyfire, and Thurgadin being affected starting the 26th (and all servers were down this morning from 7 am to 9 am, PDT, because maintenance). When in doubt, Search for the topic and see what has been posted previously.

Uwk
    Cassta, Geroblue, Marae and 1 other person like this.
  18. dorotea Well-Known Member

((Every gamer understands downtime, but 24 hour downtime during a double XP event is an odd decision. ))

The downtime was planned and announced earlier. They decided how much time to give for double xp knowing the servers would be down for the maintenance. They presumably would have given a day less if not for this maintenance.
    Cassta, Whilhelmina, Marae and 3 others like this.
  19. Damnation666 New Member

hmm if every gamer understands 24hr downtime perhaps the devs should also understand the meaning of a subscription and prolong it with 1 day just to be fair but heh i guess we shall never see this :)
  20. Damnation666 New Member

im sorry for the double posting , weird server lag :)
    Cassta likes this.