Guide events with uncooperative players!

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Cassta, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

am I don't know if I got this right , but for people who for what ever reason don't want to dismiss their combat pet or merc ,
    can make them "stay" a little distance away .

I also have noticed a similar problem with Santa Glug , where people would crows around the poor little goblin
    and than just sit there sorting their bags , wile other people can't click on the NPC.

Once you are done you should move back and if you want to stay longer to chat , please get of your high horse.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Hot pink text over a light tan background is a little hard to read for some people. I had no issue with it, but I do get where dirgenoobforreal is coming from
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

There are quite a few guides that have been lagged out and lost connection several times during large participation events like Nebulous Newsies, Guides Guide to Thalumbra and the rest. If they cannot stay connected because of the lag from all the mercs, fluff pets, combat pets, mounts, etc, then people will not get the quests. It has happened, the guide got disconnected 4 times within 30 minutes and gave up, came back early the next morning so most people did not get the quest.

Politeness and common courtesy cost nothing, so I never get why others get so offended when asked to display these traits for a few minutes.
  4. Cassta Well-Known Member

Thank you Cyrrena! I agree completely.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

This. When I come for these events, I don't dismiss my pet or merc, I just park them somewhere out of the way.

For familiars, ponies, and fluff pets that can't be controlled really, I dismiss those.

If it's lagging out the guide and other players, and it's not costing you anything at all, I don't get why people make a big deal out of it.

And it's worth mentioning you don't have to be right on top of quest givers (or guides) to get what they are offering. The chat/trade distance is like 9, so you can be a bit further away and still get it.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

perfect Finora :) you are a true lady .
  7. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

So just to explain for those who like me returned recently. I had one hotbar of skills on many characters when I first returned. To load ui from antoher character, then find which skill puts away the pets... if it's even on my bars... would've cost me several minutes on a good day. On a Fibro day, it can take me an hour to do that. I guess I could've just not participated. But at least two of the three guide quests I joined before I had my hotbars worked out, hardly had anyone. I know I wasn't annoying anyone.

However, guilty as charged on at least a few occasions.
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Too bad guides don't have a spell that hides everything except toons for x meters in a circle around them!
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

if it's a combat pet you would find the ability on the pets hot bar Semperfifofum it's the scull for fluff pets you can simply press the button you used to summon the pet and it will go into it's pet bed , ore you right click and go for pet options and dismiss the pet .
  10. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Actually it occurred to me (belatedly) that if I just recommit my AA's, it turns everything off instantly and I don't have to redo my hotbars or anything.
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

But if look at it from other side? If all or almost all will, start to hide their funny and naughty zoos (and/or don't seemed bloated and/or bulky), then how then is the glory of those who painted them? He works for days on end and draws all this, and you hide all this? Not far from the beginning, after my arrival in this game, I still tried to look like as little as possible so that nothing would pop out, dangle around, or not rustling.. I strived to make sure there was free space wherein others needed. And you know, this worked in some cases. That is, some people understood that you are doing this so as not to disturb others. And thereat they followed your example. This is something that does not need to be explained. This is something that if someone needs to understand, he will understand immediately after seeing (if your behavior that sets a good example). If he perhaps does not want to look closely at what is decent and what is not, then there and is no need to explain. Because this (an attempt to explain) can cause backlash. For example, if it grows before your eyes in size and summon for couple more of its “friends” for yet exist heap.. In any case, devs should be aware that not everyone has large monitors and with high resolution so that all this happens before eyes of players with satisfactory to their perception comfort. ..And I didn't always like it when someone tails wiped about my character face. Do you read this? Think about behavior of the tails! When your pencil finds time to relax..
  12. Naashaah New Member

OOO!!! OOO!! me's noes howie fix!!
    /e jumps up and down waving paws frantically

duh DEVs kin makey Guidies wif a AoE Questy-givey tingy!
    den aw one nee do is be near Guide, no targee needy!

eever dat
    or

givey Guide TENTY wich give Guide OWN ZONE!
    den ify wanna Guide quest, clicky tent go ins.
    Guide Tent zoney den have NO MOUNTs, an NO MERCs.

tee? eadee fix :D

p.s. me likey pink words. tinks was cutey ;)
  13. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I like this... the portal could be placed anywhere. One instance is needed at a time anyway, I've never heard of two guide events going at once.
  14. Finora Well-Known Member

For most pets you just click on whatever you used to summon it a second time and it will dismiss it.

For combat pets, you probably already have the combat pet window up on your screen so you can just park it (with the anchor icon) somewhere out of the way.

If you only have one pet up, you can also just opt to do the slash commands for dismissing a pet (should be /pet getlost)
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

That's a great idea.

I know they've had guide events through a portal before (I've been to one, got some kind of scroll and feathered hats in different colors).

Drop the portal wherever they would normally have the guide event, then everyone has to go through. Suspends mount, all pets, mercs, and illusions. And since it's only suspended, when you leave everything would be back as it was before.
  16. Seefar Well-Known Member

This.

It's just basic manners, something that all too many people have forgotten, it seems :(
  17. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I've been at guide events where the guide specifically mentioned they had mounts hidden. This was well over three months ago (give or take a few days). Maybe something has changed since then(?).
  18. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Overall a great idea, I agree.

Are there guide events that wouldn't work for it? Like maybe ones where you have to find items or mobs? When I got the Frostotron, I think I had to find some things in Qeynos, but I don't remember what anymore, it was a while back. If the portal would need to be opened in Antonica, then to do it I"d have to at least zone out, zone to Qeynos, then find items, then zone to Antonica, then zone to guide instance. Might be a bit... much. Especially if it's a more complex guide quest with a few steps in it.

I'm guessing since the Brewday door is outside Qeynos, it's not that easy to just make a portal inside the city.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Elyshka Senior Guide

Hi everyone! Thank you for your suggestions. Guides always appreciate constructive feedback on how to better serve our community, even though not all suggestions fall under our pay grade, so to speak.

Some time back, I made a little informative post about just such issues. I hope that it provides you with a bit of clarity with regards to what we deal with on our end of things.

We really appreciate you all coming out and helping us to make Norrath an exciting place to be. :)

*halfling hugs*
    - Ely

P.S. Some people, and I'm not mentioning any names *coughMEcough*, hide mounts on their play characters and sometimes completely forget (lousy fibro fog) that they take up real estate on other people's displays. It's entirely possible that many folks are the same. Just my 2c, ymmv. ;)
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hang on, so this is something WE can do to avoid seeing others' ginormous critters, or phoenixes, or entourage of pets, familiars, mercs, etc.? Sweet! I thought that was only something we could do for our stuff! :D

Thanks! :)

Uwk
    /save_file
    Breanna and Semperfifofum like this.