"Swimming" Fish for a fish tank?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by SynergyBlaize, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SynergyBlaize Member

I visited someones house & they had created a fishtank.
    It had fish that swam in it!!!
    Where & how do I find these please?
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Marae Well-Known Member

I got my swimming fish from the Marketplace, specifically from the Player Studio. They have swimming "School of" clownfish and several colors of koi, under PlayerStudio/Housing/Decorations/Fish. I also used the "a tiny barracuda plushie" you get from doing the fishing quest on the Everfrost dock. You only get it from doing the quest the first time (after which the quest is repeatable with a different reward), but I contributed my alts' barracudas to make a couple of schools, one of which is in my aquarium. The plushies don't travel, but swim quietly in place, as some species are wont to do.

When buying from the Marketplace, be aware, only the fish in schools swim. The single fish are static, with no motion whatsoever. I have one seahorse like that in the tank, solely for variety's sake.

The tricky thing about the swimming fish is making them small enough, and the tank large enough, that they stay inside it. It's pretty much impossible to keep them completely contained, no matter how carefully you position them, and occasionally I catch one of them "escaping." Fortunately, the magical forcefield around the tank keeps it from going too far afield and "drowning"... :D

My tank is in "Saille's Kitchen," in the Terrace Standards house in Gorowyn, on Thurgadin server (character Saille). It's not published, but all visitors are welcome!
  3. SynergyBlaize Member

Thank You Sallie for your fantastic reply!
    I will make an alt & come & take a look :)
  4. Marae Well-Known Member

Cool! And most welcome! (Just make sure you look for "Saille" and not "Sallie" when you're searching for the house. :D )
  5. elflover Well-Known Member

There is a few shiny collections that reward small swimming fish. Go to http://eq2furniture.com/ and type catch and you'll see the fish in the list.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I haven't seen swimming fish from the Marketplace... I usually get them in-game. If you take a look at EQ2 Furniture under "Plushies". I'll list some in-game items I have used in my aquaria... look them up on EQ2 Furniture to see where to get them.
    • a smelly dead barracuda (inert)
    • a Strange Cabbage Plushie
    • a tiny anemone plushie
    • a tiny barracuda plushie
    • a tiny crab plushie
    • a tiny gazer plushie (I stick these in the sand face down so you just see the waving tentacles)
    • a tiny octopus plushie
    • a tiny sea turtle plushie
    • a tiny shark plushie
    • Bloodworm Plushie
    • Cobalt Entangler Plushie
    • Deep Sea Catch (school of small swimming fishies)
    • Deep Sea Koi Catch (school of small swimming fishies)
    • Draft Eel Plushie (looks like an eel swimming in loopy figure eights)
    • Fiery Crustacean Plushie
    • Kelp Fiend Plushie
    • Rainbow Koi Catch (school of small swimming fishies)
    • Ripper-snapper Plushie
    • Sand Pincer
    • Shallow Waters Catch (school of small swimming fishies)
    • Wriggling Baneful Cocoon
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

One of my Inn rooms decorated for me has an aquarium in it. But I have no idea how they did it.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I usually figure out where my enclosure is going to be first, then place the denizens and put the enclosure back. This is really easy using the Layout Editor.

Here's a couple of my small aquaria. I use a snowdrift for sand usually (it also provides a bubble-like effect), and a Breath of Vox buried under the snowdrift to give watery blue "water currents".

[IMG]
  9. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

If you go to Cobalt Scar and swim in water there are collectibles. I forget how many collections but rewards swimming schools of fish and then meta collection rewards a single swimming fish (Ripper-snapper plushie)
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

There are 4 sets of 4 collectibles from the fish nodes, then 4 more for a fifth set from the handins of the first 4. Just pack up your rod and beer and spend a few hours fishing in the waters below the fort.
  11. Merriel Well-Known Member

Sigdrifa, maybe I missed it in your list because I can't remember it's name, but I think you forgot that one big water plushie we get from Oceansfull event that has the fish swimming in it., too. :D
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

yeah, I wasn't trying for a comprehensive list. I usually don't use Marketplace fish, and most of my aquaria are small, so huge things don't get included. There are other plushies that will work, like in a huge aquarium, you might use a cave drifter plushy or mount as a sea serpent.
    Semperfifofum, Zynt, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Seems like the thing about those plushies is they could be mostly "hidden" and create a small aquarium in just one item (plus the frame) because of how large they get. :)

I will have to check my dungeon when I log in game tonight, to get the name of it. Or better yet, I'll just go look it up on EQII Furniture. :D

\aITEM -1274525663 -2060254882:Aqueous Sentinel Plushie\/a

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  14. SynergyBlaize Member

Oopsie... Thanks for the memory nudge :oops:
  15. SynergyBlaize Member

You folks are ALL absolutely Legendary!

Thank you everyone so much for your replies!
    I am looking forward to collecting fishes for my next fish tank.
    All of you input & knowledge is invaluable to me. :)
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Also be careful about what materials you use for tank walls; the Polished Ice building blocks from the New Halas City Festival, and the Marketplace stuff ("______________ of Ice"), and maybe even some of the translucent stuff from Frostfell merchants can cancel out particle effects, which can eliminate the views of some of the special schools and plushies and such, from what I've seen. :-/

When in doubt, try something like a Divider from the Marketplace (for Members, it costs like 9 DBCash; for free-to-players, it's 10) or a reasonably priced Polished Ice piece from the Broker and see what happens to a given item, visually.

Good luck! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and SynergyBlaize like this.
  17. elflover Well-Known Member

If you have the water spray tiles from oceanful (event is coming up soon i think) recipe work good so you can see effects or blue misty tiles from moonlight
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Then of course there's the old standby of using vampiric mirrors as the walls of the aquarium.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My personal fave; you can always make one "panel" out of a Wispy, so you can reach in and do whatever you need to with the denizens, plants, etc. It won't stop the Pets from wandering, but then again, nothing stops that... :-/

Uwk
    SynergyBlaize, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  20. Breanna Well-Known Member

I always used tapestry of the steam lord (I think that's what it was called, been a while) It has the lights on top so it helps light up the fish tank a bit.