Fixed Internally Are Solo Names Supposed to be Casting Curses?

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Sigrdrifa, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Are Solo names supposed to cast curses? For example, Xylox the Poisonous and The Shadow Overlord in Aurelian Coast: Maiden's Eye [Solo], but others do it as well.

I remember in CD seeing a dev comment that Solo mobs were not supposed to be using curses. Not sure if this is intended.
  2. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it would be intended, since not every player class can cure a curse. But it's hard to say anymore what is intended or what is bugged these days.
    Argosunited and Sigrdrifa like this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

That's what mercs are for.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

LOL...yeah, cause everyone uses a healer merc every time they do a solo.
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Curses are manageable with no cure-curse, but yeah, I wondered that myself. When I duo my usual conjuror/mystic, no problem, but my necro/brigand duo can't cure curse. One of the goals of the duo instances is to allow solo players or friends to play them together, and you don't always have a healer to cure your curse in that configuration.
  6. Chrol Developer

Curses should not exist in solo instances.
    Prox, PurpleChicken, Cyrrena and 5 others like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you look at the spells the various healer mercs have, I don't think any of them has Cure Curse. They can and do cure simple detriments.

There are also quite a few incurable detriments in these zones, which seems a bit like the monsters cheating :-/
    Semperfifofum and Jaeded like this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

I run with Zhugrus and haven't had a problem.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I can still win the fights, the curses do drop off, but my question is whether Solo mobs should be casting curses at all.
  10. Benj Well-Known Member

The curses are manageable as a solo paladin. While I have the deity spell that can cure curses, a 20-minute recast is hardly useful. I don't even bother casting it and just power through with self-heals. I doubt any merc has a curse-cure. I usually run with Evania and I know she doesn't. IMO, Solo/Duo instances should be balanced such that any pair of players can handle it, even if neither is a healer. Curses disrupt that balance.

P.S. Please bring back true Duo dungeons. Sometimes only one or two other people are on in my guild, and I'd love to have meaningful challenges with them, without the hassle of forming a pick-up group.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Ghest Roppep in Aurelian Coast: Reishi Rumble [Solo] is also casting curses.
    Semperfifofum and Breanna like this.
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

I noticed that last night too Sigrdrifa. There are the 2 solo instances from that portal, that both do curses. I made it through both of them no problem (also a Pally) But I was like hey what the ****
    Cyrrena likes this.
  13. EmJay Well-Known Member

I would like to know which merc can cure a curse, please.
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Unless it's been changed, no merc can cure a curse.

deja vu on this topic too from 2018 :D
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  15. Jaeded Well-Known Member

Can confirm there are curses being cast in both those instances. I was still able to complete the instances on my illy but it is annoying and shouldn't be happening.
    Sigrdrifa and Breanna like this.
  16. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Please can we have curse taken out of solo's. We love you Chrol <3
    Sigrdrifa, Zynt and Semperfifofum like this.
  17. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I did a /bug for Maiden's Eye, literally every boss in there casts curses, most of them, multiple times.

The giant snake, Swordfang? in Ruins kills me almost every time and my merc finishes him off. I think he's another one that can be jousted, because that seems to help. He does a curse but I'm not sure if that's what I'm jousting.
    Zynt and Argosunited like this.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

In the subtle nuances of these mobs there's always a warning before a curse which translated means "Get the hell away from the mob". I agree solo mobs shouldn't be casting FAIL CONDITION curses however every toon in the game has the ability to cure their own curse (if aligned properly) one time in case you miss the joust.

If you're like most players and just plow through content without thinking you'll die now and then...it's what you do. If you want to save 15% on car insurance......well..nvm.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

No, every class can't cure curses. They can cure DETRIMENTS, which is not the same thing. Detriments can be cured with potions, mages have Cure Magic, etc. But a curse requires a bona fide healer class to cure, and there are no mercenaries that can cure curses.

If you are good-aligned, you can purchase a Mithaniel Marr miracle that will cure one curse. It has a long recast time, so it's pretty much once per fight.

In my case, I have been able to kill the mobs even though they are casting curses, but that's mostly because my merc is well-geared and keeps whacking them.
    Whilhelmina and Breanna like this.
  20. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Are solo nameds in CD also meant to not cast curses? Because they are as well.