Quest - Piercing the Darkness - Gifts Part 3

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Tocino the Troubadour, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

PLEASE fix this quest so that the only person who can harvest the shadows are the people doing the quest. OMG, I made 5 trackers and still only got two because people are camping the locations and harvesting them by the time you get there.
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Gninja Developer

I think you are confusing shadowed harvestables and seeped shadows. Seeped shadows can only be seen by those on the quest and using the tracker.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  3. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

Hi, and thank you for replying.

I'm aware of the difference. I know it's not your official site, but FAMDOM has this note about the quest: "Other players can harvest your Seeping Shadow so craft extra."

Knowing I should craft more than three, I crafted 5. 3 of the five times I tracked, there was a player standing where the Seeped Shadow would have been, but no Seeped Shadow was there. It was the same player each time. So I used all 5 and harvested 2. I had to go back and craft two more to get the last one I needed.

I think the problem is that there are several players doing the quest at the same time, anyone on the quest can see Seeped Shadows that I track. Is there some way to make it so that the only the player who tracks it can harvest it? If we both track and they get there first, I just wasted a tracker.

Or better yet, make it an unlimited charge device so you don't have to waste it if someone gets there first.
    Arcos likes this.
  4. Argosunited Well-Known Member

There's only so many places they spawn.
    The last toon I did it on harvested all three required shadows from the one spot. She used 6-8 trackers.

But yes, an unlimited tracker would be great.
  5. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

And now, on another toon, I made 4, found the first one. The next three all said "The tracker darts away quickly but cannot find anything you are wishing to track at the moment." And it deletes the tracker! When I first started doing this on other toons, if it didn't find one, the tracker remained in your inventory.
    Really this is messed up.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Since we can mass produce the trackers, at least you can make up 10 or so at a time.
  7. Robynous Well-Known Member

Really? any idea how long they take to respawn? I just used 5 trackers to find one shadow, I just couldn't get to the location without flying!
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm pretty sure that there are more than three locations for the shadows. If I couldn't get to one, I moved a goodly distance and tried another tracker.
    Wulfgyr likes this.
  9. Argosunited Well-Known Member

They re-spawned almost immediately. It was under a tree. I think I had luck on my side with that one.
  10. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

There are two locations in that gorge with Rockhoppers. There's one located in the shroom cave. There's one in Sambata Vilage, and there's one on the edge of Maiden's eye.

It's a frustrating quest and will continue to be so unless you are lucky or until they make the trackers unlimited charges.
  11. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

The first time I did this
    Thanks for that clarification.

The first time I did it, both my husband and I found ours without a problem, even though we were in the same area. This time, on my alt, I'm being directed to a place where there isn't a shadow at all. And repeatedly. I did manage to climb up to the spot, and the first time, there was a shadow there, but it repeatedly tells me to go there and there is nothing anymore. Zooming in etc, still nothing.

I went to the other places marked on EQ2Map, tried there. Got the same direction to the old spot.

This time I am playing a templar who's really not that bad at DPS overland, but I am trying to avoid mobs because of the time factor.

Would it break the story if we could fly at this point? I don't mind making a bunch of the trackers, but if I could fly it would feel less depressing. I wish this was a gigglegibber quest. It feels like it. Then it would be funny. :p
  12. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Another thing that's different this time, I can't see the shadow graphics at all, just the words floating.
  13. Gninja Developer

The shadow graphics are very subtle, this is intended as you are supposed to use the tracker to find them not just look around. You also need the tracker buff on you to see them and you lose the buff when you harvest it.
    Semperfifofum and Breanna like this.
  14. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Relog seemed to be the fix for me, I made 3 more after and it worked like a charm. I can't speak for others though. Thank you for the clarifications, Gninja.
  15. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

OK third time around, I had almost no problems at all. The key seems to be to move away from the seeping shadow you just harvested and THEN use the tracker. The first time I used one while standing in the same spot. Nothing appeared, but when I moved away, the tracker showed up and directed me back (where there was nothing).

So I moved farther away and used another one. Then I got another location.

After the second, I moved farther away, and used another. Found the third, no problem.

Here's where I looked (this alt can fly):

Near the coast: -97.04 23.93 208.37 197.29 0.00 0.00

Ledge near Sparkmother: 415.98 111.80 155.48 227.69 0.00 0.00

On the Bridge (no aggro there): 320.21 93.90 35.06 354.49 0.00 0.00

The shadows can't be tracked in the ordinary way. I tried that too.

About the location where I used libation: I also was able to use the libation in AC, all three times. I didn't have to go to the Blinding and Wracklands. However, if the quest does require that, it might be possible to use the "will of the..." baubles by this point. I was able to buy the Will of Seru in a much earlier step, but couldn't use it until a later step. I had already done the Adventure Sig quest so I can't say what factor unlocked the other 3.
    Zynt and Wulfgyr like this.