Returning player - 4K / Expansions

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by The_Wildpaw, Dec 3, 2019.

1. The_Wildpaw New Member

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have been away from Norrath for a while. I still have my own guild and had levelled that up to about 50 by tradeskilling. I've been playing another MMO but this time of year makes me think of Frostfell and all those holidays I spent doing the Frostfell stuff (and many other memories including my first foray into Kelethin thinking wow this looks like a brand new game, and the music there that almost brought a tear to my eye.

I digress, my main annoyance with EQ2 was when I finally upgraded my laptop and screen and was able to play in 4K for the first time, but got very frustrated with the UI. The buttons were tiny, as were the chat windows. Has this improved at any point in the last 12 months or so. I would ideally like to be able to just choose 4K, then just drag the hotbars around and assign skills etc. Has this been improved in any way in the last 12 months or so.

Also, I play on the 'free' plan, I have 3 old 'silver' memberships going back to EQ2X, I subbed up until then and bought expansions. What current expansions are available for F2P, obviously not the Luclin one, or the current one I would guess, but would really like to get crafters to 100+, they are all sitting at 99 currently.

Edit; I can see from my sig I am level 100, I would like to do level 100 TS writs, can only do 99 writs at the moment.

Thank you :)
    Cassta and Soara2 like this.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

When EQ2 was built, no one ever expected 4K monitors, so there's no native 4K mode.

Every element in the UI is a window, and you can hit F10 so you can see the margins and resize them as you wish (hit F10 twice to get back to the regular UI view). Right-click on hotbars and select Hotbar Settings, that allows you to set the button size in pixels.

If you click the EQ2 Button >> Options >> Display, you can set the screen resolution to a max of 1920x1080. You may have to click the Advanced Button to see the settings fully.

Another way to approach this is via the XML. EQ2Interface.com has a mod, 1080p, designed for people using their HD TVs as monitors, and is supposed to make everything bigger. I haven't tried it, so I dunno how well it does or does not work.

Since the whole UI is XML, you can also do your own mods. The game was originally installed with a UIBuilder tool. If you don't have it, you can get UIBuilder at EQ2Interface. I'm guessing that you should be able to customize chat box font sizes that way. Again, I haven't personally modded that, so I can't say for absolute sure.
  4. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

Yea, EQ2 does not handle 4k well as the UI is not scalable. I recommend using DarqUI Unified. they have a selection of UI windows that can be set larger (larger text, icons, etc). It isn't perfect, but it is a significant help and makes playing in 4k bearable.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

That is not correct. Ceiling for F2P is whatever expansion they buy. F2P can get to 110 if they own PoP or CD.

The highest expansion everyone has, without buying anything else, is AoM.
    Cassta, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  6. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Without ToT, your highest level writ will be 99. You would need to get the expansion to get higher. If you get the new one, you will have all of them. That's a great thing about this game.
    Cassta and Breanna like this.
  7. Dude Well-Known Member

In order to level past 100, you need PoP, CD, or the new expansion. Since the new expansion is the only one for sale, that's the one you'll have to get.
    Cassta, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  8. The_Wildpaw New Member

Thanks, looks like I have to buy the new expansion, so good timing. I checked my account and I do remember buying expansions before, the latest was ToV so longer ago than I thought, and I had previously bought CoE. I don't raid so don't gain too much on the sub, otherwise I would happily sub, I did from 2004-2010. I tend to buy character slots when I need to and treat myself to a mount or prestige home from time to time but always sub for Frostfell months for the double E'ci tokens, and can justify it as I do play a lot over that period as my work closes down for holiday period for 2 weeks.

I started a new char on Thurgadin if anyone wants to add Kesia, and happily bouncing around Hate's Envy. The UI is minimal at the beginning so it's easier to tweak as I go, and there is an option to change the chat font size it seems.

Thanks for all the responses, it's good to see the community hasn't changed in all these years.
    Cassta, Juraiya, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

yeah so, IF. Shoot away me..
    Soara2 and Cassta like this.