Returned player, so confused with Ascension

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Easily Lost, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Easily Lost New Member

I'm confused if you need to go to an ascension trainer for each level of ascension to get the next ascension spell. Or am I confused by an now abandoned system of trading in ascension scrolls or points to get ascension spell. I got my first (and so far only) ascension class by claiming a bauble that granted me levels in an ascension class.

I'm confused if you only need 10 levels in each ascension to get the ascension tome (I see occasional in game messages about players receiving this) or if you need to achieve 20.

I'm now at ascension level 13 but I don't think I've gotten any new ascension spells since level 10. Do ascension levels skip spells after level 10? I see in Wiki articles their appears to be a break between levels before a new spell. Is a new ascension spell automatically acquired when reaching the appropriate level or do you need to see a trainer.

I've managed to get one character to 110/110. Finishing up on Pride Pakiate faction (Wiki says to go for 50k on each to do their faction capstone for something special).

I also seemed to have missed doing the Myrist library - there's a letter in my mailbox about that. Along with some Judgements summons.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

Ascension now goes to 20. You need to see the ascension trainer and he will give you your updated spells. You can switch over ascension too by seeing him now you can switch back and forth. You don't have to go back to the original 4 people there is one in POP and also one in Myrist, if you can't get to Myrist yet see the one in POP he's in the main area COV but in POP I think you can only get your ascensions to 15, don't hold me to that though. But once you start doing the different factions they give you scrolls which will jump your ascension levels, and also get some for finishing the signature line.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Wheeee, so much convoluted nonsense in that system.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Actually, I think you now get the updated Ascension spells as you level, just as with regular spells. The only real difference between the Ascensions and regular profession spells now is that Ascensions require Illegible Scroll Pages as the rares to make upgrades, and you have to scribe every level (Journeyman, Adept, Expert, Master, etc.) whereas profession spells you can jump to Master, Grandmaster etc. if you have the spell books for that.

I wish Ascensions would go bye-bye, but I'm pretty sure we're stuck with them.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Imagine the angry crapstorm that would ensue if they did remove the system after so many people had spent so much real money maxing their spells out. They've painted themselves into their usual corner with this. They introduced a new system, the system was poorly received, but they doubled down on it anyway. People, feeling like they needed to remain competitive, spent real money to progress the spells in this system. So now you have a garbage dump people have invested massive amounts of time and money into. They're options are basically to keep doubling down on it, say f-it and remove it and deal with the backlash, or just quietly abandon it over time like a lot of their previous gimmicks.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

Right!!! It's changed so much over the last couple expansions, I'm not even sure of those scrolls we used to get in Obulous from the 4 different trainers are even good, because they used to just fill up your (for lack of a better word) vitality. Now I don't think you loose vitality at all, but I think you did in POP, so..... hence the confusion if they are even good anymore.
  7. Easily Lost New Member

I noticed that I got ascension spells as I progressed in my chosen ascension class. I got confused because the regular class spells got mixed in as I leveled and, not having any free slots, didn't noticed I had gotten new spells.

What I don't know is, in order to get the 'big tome', for lack of a better word, do I need to get each ascension class to 10 or to the maximum 20?
  8. Naneel Member

You only need to get all four ascensions to level 10 for the tome.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There's also an achievement for getting all Ascensions to 15, but nothing for getting them all to 20.
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Momo Well-Known Member

I have totally no idea about high level stuff - these Ascensions seem to be hated by almost everybody, so what would happen if you just ignore them and dont use them? Would that make you unable to play the content or just make it more difficult?

Reading forums, discord and general chat makes me really, really fear the time I ever get a toon close to 100 :(
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Obano Well-Known Member

You don't need to talk to the trainer anymore unless you want to change ascension classes. Just type /claim and grab the free ascension booster. Activate the item and pick your ascension class through the menu. It will put you at ascension level 15 with all apprentice spells ready to go. The same ascension booster is also available on the Panda merchant in Sundered Frontier.

At high level learning an ascension is pretty much required. A large percentage of your damage will come from ascension abilities. Don't be fooled by the complaints on the forum. I personally think the ascension system is a lot of fun.
    Raff likes this.
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

I work on mine, but I very rarely use them at all, of course I don't raid. If you just solo like me you don't need them. If you raid or group for heroics then you probably need them. Of course I have been using mine on these silly dragons LOL the most use they've gotten since they first came out.
    Momo likes this.
  13. Kittik Well-Known Member

Join Kaladim. EverQuest 2 Live servers are ****!
  14. Goldheart Member

As a returning solo player, I found the whole Ascension thing to be a convoluted muddle that really isn't worth bothering with. Big nothingburger to be ignored.
    Rhodris, Momo and Seefar like this.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you have not upgraded the Ascension spells beyond the Apprentice level you are given, then they're possibly not worth it. But it's ridiculously easy to upgrade them to Journeyman at least. The better the quality, the better the spells work, just as with other spells and combat arts. There are adorns that reduce the casting times for Ascension spells also, which makes them even more useful.

If you use an y of the many Excel worksheets that people have developed over the years to calculate which of your spells are the most efficient, you will find that some of your profession spells are really sad and pathetic, and also that some of the Ascension spells aren't worth it. You will also find that you need some of your Ascension spells in your regular spell rotation if you want to do the best damage.
    Momo and Breanna like this.
  16. Miroh Well-Known Member

The game has drastically changed over the years so that returning players are so confused that many don't stay for long. I know when I came back, I had no idea what resolve and potency was and why they put it in the game (still don't understand why they felt the need to). I haven't even bothered with the ascensions. I got to level 20 with them but I haven't leveled any of them and I really don't care to. Wish that was something they never came up with as well. I have no idea if you can group without ascensions because I don't group or raid anymore due to the drastic changes in the gameplay, I just log in.

In final...Its not returning player friendly or new player friendly anymore; that's why they've been merging the servers.
    Rhodris and Momo like this.
  17. Vipersx Member

I think the should open a new server that does not have the ascension system... let people decide. With new level Cap coming out It would not be hard to re-roll on new server that had promise of no ascension system. I often think about coming back to the game, but the game has become too bloated with unneeded systems that most people do not want. Look at how successful the release of a server that went back to the basics for a different game,which I will not name, was. As the game has aged they just kept adding systems for the sake of adding something new... but in doing so, they have destroyed some of the basics that made the game so successful. It i almost impossible for someone new to ever catch up and be welcomed in groups, mostly because of the ascension system.
    Momo likes this.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

I like the ascension system, personally. Its fun. There are TLE's for those who don't. They are not hard to understand if you really want to. More buttons to push for sparkly spell effects and added dps. That is all.

Available ascension spells will automatically become available for you as you level. You might need to sort through your spellbook to find them if you missed the chat text.

You can level them up just like every other skill with time (or a credit card if you roll that way)

Or a sage can make anyone their upgrades with one planar energy, 1 casiun root rare and the appropriate spell scroll. Unlike regular skills, you can't skip levels. If you have apprentice level skills? To proceed, you'll need the Journeyman spell to make the adept spell to make the expert spell etc...etc...

See. Not so convoluted after all.
    Momo likes this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You don't need an Illegible Spell Scroll page to make Journeyman, Expert, or Grandmaster level Ascension spells.

You do need an Illegible Scroll Page to make Adept and Master level Ascension spells. Note that the Adept pages are usually really affordable on the broker, and they drop in CD instances, even solos.

There's really no reason NOT to upgrade to at least Journeyman, and Expert is also easy to attain. You might as well have effective tools.
    Momo and Breanna like this.
  20. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

So what would be the most useful ascension route for a Fury ?