Character Complexity

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Harington, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Harington Member

Having recently come back to the game after a long lay away, I am still trying to decide what to make in terms of my new main.

From what I remember years ago, some character classes are for more user friendly, while others require macros and very specific casting orders to be effective.

I don't really care about character class, I'm more looking into a class that is fun to play, useful in groups but also not requiring extensive knowledge of exact casting order.

I wouldn't mind raiding one day, however I may never understand the mechanics of the game well enough to do that.

So what would people recommend in terms of a fairly straightforward class not requiring a math degree to be effective with.
    Soara2 and Dude like this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I like the monk class because of their versatility as a tank. They get a self invisibility, feign death, group feign death, a single target heal, a spell damage ward, Tsunami let's them reposte all damage for its duration; an alternate advancement ability that casts feign death on a party member when they get killed and instantly heals them back up 30% health; Peel instantly puts you at the top of agro no matter what...

They also don't lack in dps, and get some super cool fighting animations.
    Soara2, Rifuul, Juraiya and 4 others like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I cannot speak for mages at all as I do not have any in my stable of over 90 characters. But I do have a majority of scouts and you can learn to play any of the scout classes effectively while having fun, just by playing them. By actively using the abilities as you get them through leveling and seeing for yourself what they do.

I would never use a boost bauble on any class that I have never played before as you miss that learning time that is required. I know there are people that say you have to do this, this, and that in this order, but I have learned to play all my scouts my way and may not be the best on any of my servers, but I have fun, I can group, I can raid, and I can be effective in those and solo as well.
    Soara2, Juraiya, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  4. Harington Member

Thanks for the advice, I decided to make a Brigand last night. He is pretty straightforward and fun to use, just what i was looking for :)
  5. Neranya Member

Welcome back! I've yet to raid in EQ2, but I wouldn't worry too much about the complexity of it. When I first started raiding in EQ1 with my SK main, I was scared to death of making some fatal mistake. People told me just listen to directions, and do my best. As time went on and I got more experience, I started getting called on to do various things. I'm sure its the same here. I doubt people would expect you to go on a raid for the first time and be a total game-mechanic expert.

When you do want to raid I would just tell everyone its your first raid, you're willing to take advice, etc, and I bet you'll be fine.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Harington like this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! Or if you join a guild that is casual, they may also raid once a week or a couple times a month and be more than willing to teach players the mechanics of the raid zones.
    Soara2, Dude, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

i don't know that I would call most scouts new player friendly. predators and rogues are insanely expensive to maintain, when it comes to infusing, poisons, potions, and foods, poisons being a big cost eater. bards are a bit easier in terms of cost, but still have a ton of mechanics to learn. i'd probably tell a new player to try a summoner or a crusader or brawler.
    Soara2 and Harington like this.
  8. Harington Member

I've actually also rolled out a Zerker, having a lol of fun with it too. While I like the scout class, I think I will focus on my new tank. I'm also not using any lvl'n bauble and taking it slow. I've turned off my xp at 22 and am just focusing on clearing a ton of quests. My biggest issue was starting a 100/110 lvl toon and just being overwhelmed.
    Soara2 and Carynn like this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have never actually used poisons on any of my scouts.
    Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  10. Svenone Well-Known Member

If, as a scout in EQ2 you are not using poisons, you aren't playing the character to it's full capacity. I know using poisons can seem "evil", but they are just another tool in the scout's toolbox. Even those goody-two-shoes places like Qeynos/Kelethin/New Halas have scouts that use them, right? Granted, the damage poisons aren't modified by potency, so the damage is laughably small, but small > zero. Most of the utility/debuff poisons are still viable IMO. I just wouldn't spend a ton on them unless you are really intent on wringing out every last little bit you can.
    Soara2 likes this.