No Fix Planned Passive Effects in Character Window

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Grumpy_Warrior, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

The Passive Effects tab of the Character window has some issues for me. When displaying "All," almost none of the effects have a tooltip (this is on multiple accounts, on every character tested, not just one.) Using the dropdown filter, only a few of the filtered effects have a tooltip, but the tooltip never matches the effect, and most of the tooltips that do show up flicker rapidly. This is with the default UI.

Example 1: On my Monk, filtering for Racial Innate, only two out of 10 effects display a tooltip: Clawed Strikes displays the tooltip for Serene Motions, and Feline Grace displays Enhance: Outward Calm, which flickers continuously.

Example 2: Channeler. Everything except Invigorate from the main Prestige tab of the AA window (Heartseeker, Snap Channel, etc.) has the green "bug" icon. When I switch to the Prestige filter, only 2 of 11 Prestige effects are listed - Critical Mastery (bug icon) and Invigorate. The other two effects that appear - Agile Movements and Stamina Shape - are from the main AA Shaper tree, not Prestige. I tried resetting AAs but none of the display errors improved.

These are just a couple of examples. Every passive effect category on every character has similar surprises. There was even one passive effect that had the tooltip for "You have unread mail" (Necromancer, Racial Innate, Swift Scurry effect.) I'm not trying to be overly critical here, but the entire passive effects tab is a mess, at least for me.

This was also disturbing: I noticed when I logged out, the ui.log file (not the chat log) had 422,652 lines that said "Encountered data outside of container tags." That's not a misprint. Almost half a million lines in less than an hour logging in and out of characters looking at passive effects. (The ui.log file is re-created each time you log in, so this was not an accumulation of errors from multiple sessions.) So I deleted the ui.log file and logged back in, and only looked at a few passive tooltips on one character. After logging out again, the ui.log file only had 928 lines.

I believe there must be one error line generated for each time the tooltips flicker. That's the only thing that could have happened 422,000 times in less than one hour. In fact, there is no way I saw that many actual tooltips display, flickering or not. I believe the passive icons may have been thrashing behind the scenes, generating this error over and over while trying to display the tooltip, even though it never appeared on 99% of them. If the server is tapped to display these tooltips, could this be one source of performance issues?
  2. Bunji Developer

The passive tab is being removed with the next big update.
  3. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

That's good news, thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.