SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Well well well. This is good information to have.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh, Ttobe, you wouldn't do a horrible thing like turn our own fears against us, would you? :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena and ttobey like this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

I had a spider trying to shower with me this morning UWK you are more than welcome to come and get him. I do know we need all those things they kill other insects and blah blah blah But did I say I HATE spiders.

And you Mr. Ttobey you just never mind, you were dreaming you read this thread but you really didn't.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! Well, unless it's a black widow or a brown recluse; those sorts don't get a vote (sorry, Latrodectus and Loxosceles!). Actually, as far creepier as they are, even black widows get more of a vote than recluses; they're way easier to distinguish, and they're not nearly so horrifically poisonous. :-/

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Oh for crying out loud, I can't wait until tomorrow.
    Having somehow survived the meteor, the hapless band of misfits makes their way into the lounge. Uwk says "Drinks All Around!" Three minutes later, Breanna has had ten too many and needs to go to the Lady's Room. She steps back into the bar and realizes the lights are out and she is alone. Thankfully she has a flashlight. She shines it at the dark ceiling and notices it seems to be moving and moving towards her! 6 zillion eyes flash as the entire ceiling is covered in SPIDERS scurrying her way. There is no way out!!! Outside the bar, as the rest are getting on the bus, Schmetterling says to Rosyposy, "What happened to Breanna?" "Oh she'll be along soon!" Rosyposy replies. But she WON"T ! She WON"T BE ALONG SOON! She is never seen again!!!!
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

o you should have seen that screensaver I had once it was this cute spider with big round eyes and the front of his head looked like a smile they used that picture on Landmark for what I don't remember all I know it's a tiny jumping spider .
    makes her jumping spider the size of a mount and sends it after the big group of spiders that abducted Breanna
    and even if she screams the smiling spider will rescue her.
    hmm I have not had spider legs in a long time.
    yea and in Africa there are spiders the size of dinner plates and children put treads on them as a leash and take their spider pets for walks.
    And don't kill Spidy
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, jumpers are pretty cute. :)

Uwk
    who actually prefers California Brown Tarantulas (seriously, they're harmless to humans, unless you've got a weird allergy :-/) and orb weavers, which are the pretty, big ones in the middle of a huge web, often...jumpers can be aggressive, sometimes :D
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We'll let Breanna have her revenge on you, Tubey... ;->

Uwk
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

I'll use my COV and bring my healer right straight to me, and then she'll use her COV to bring my Swashy which will use her AOE's and there you go no more spiders they are ALL dead, dead, dead just like a good little spider should be. Now I think I need a virtual shrink because that was a very traumatic experience, I didn't like it very much at all. I was scared especially in the dark. Now I must run along to catch the bus before they leave with out me.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We'd never do that, Breanna, especially since we know Ttube is here with us. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Breanna Well-Known Member

Thanks! You guys are the bestest ever :D
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

We would never leave you behind!!!
  13. Breanna Well-Known Member

Aw shucks!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Evening ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Today has been a long day!!! We are staying at the Ridgeline Hotel in Estes Park, we all have King Sized Premium rooms. We are having cocktail hour and dinner in the hotel at 7 pm and 8 pm respectively local time at the restaurant called Latitude 105. They have an indoor pool and full spa amenities open until 10 pm, a fitness center, a game room with table game, life sized board games, and X-Box, and you can get DVD/Blu Ray players from the Front Desk for use in your room for no extra charge, the pool is open 24 hours. They also have an outdoor firepit!!! Who wants S'mores??? Every room has a 60 inch TV and a fireplace as well. There is also 24 hour room service, so if that overwhelming urge for a hot fudge sundae hits you at 2 am *looks around innocently* you can call and order it!!

Today we visited a lot of places around Estes Park. We went to Tiny Town miniature golf, we were in Downtown Estes Park wandering around for more shopping, who is going to pass up home made Candy shops and Cookie shops, not me!!!

We went to Rocky Mountain National Park and visited Nymph Lake, this lake is smaller in scale and has a ton of lily pads in it which are still in bloom right now, so it has a ton of green lily pads floating on the surface with yellow flowers on top, you can still see the reflections of the trees in the water, but its mostly the abundance of lily pads, not your typical lake. We continued on the same trailhead until we came to Dream Lake approximately 1.9 further on after going through some forest and crossing a bridge. This lake is fishing accessible and has a shoreline approximately 0.39 miles long. These are relatively small glacial lakes. From here, we continued on the same trailhead another 1.8 miles to Emerald Lake, which is a deep bowl lake carved out by Tyndall Glacier. Tyndall Glacier is one of 5 active Glaciers in Rocky Mountain National Park and is in the saddle between Hallet Peak and Flattop Mountain at an elevation of approximately 12,235 feet. From Emerald Lake, you have a fantastic view of the Glacier. I do not advocate walking on or climbing on Glacial Ice because it does damage so I always recommend that humans avoid contact with the Glacial Ice which for someone with a Masters Degree in Geology is probably not a popular opinion, because we are supposed to study them, but in doing so, we are damaging them.

After finishing this trailhead, we went to back to Estes Park and rode the Aerial Tramway *WAHOOOOOO*!!!!! Then we did a class called Make and Take: Metal Etching. Since a lot of us like to decorate, I thought perhaps this would be something useful for us all as when we get back to Norrath we can have our smiths pound out metal sheets and we can make decorations for our homes!!!! Then we took a class in Alcohol Inks Landscapes, mine looked nothing like a landscape, but we have a lot of Alcohol in Norrath so I thought we could also use this class to learn to make more types of house décor. Then finally we took a class called Sun-Dye Drawstring Backpacks because we always want bigger backpacks right? Well this technique taught us to use dyes that are sensitive to UV light and cutouts with objects found in the world and let the item dry in the sun with the object and the cutout and you have a unique design from the Sun. We can do that in Norrath as well!!!!

After all of this, we had lunch at Rock Cut Brewing Company. And then we went to Estes Park Escape Rooms Clueology. They have 5 different Rooms to try, we only did 2. Then we went on the Riverwalk in Downtown Estes Park. We wandered beside the river, through park like plazas there are benches to sit on, with the sounds of the river nearby. There are bronze animal sculptures, and rock water features throughout the walk all the way through Downtown Estes Park. We crossed bridges, there we a lot of places to enjoy a bite to eat with outside tables and many shops that line the Riverwalk that we were able to pop into for some extra shopping that we may not have gone to earlier in the day. I know I definitely drew a lot of inspiration using the water features we now have as building blocks to make a Riverwalk in a house now.

Well, cocktail hour is half over, so I am going to join the rest of the group for the other half and then for dinner.

Tomorrow morning, we will be porting to Colorado Springs to explore a bit more than Colorado has to offer, and a special surprise there!!! We will be staying in Colorado Springs Thursday and Friday night at The Antlers-Wyndham Hotel, we are booked into the King's Governor's Suites and Founder's Suites with Mountain views.

Alright everybody, lets enjoy the rest of our night!!! I will definitely be at the firepit after dinner. Our chefs will be out there making S'more's for anybody that wants them and they will also have all of our favorite, ice cream, toppings, pies, and cakes as well!!!!
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Someone, could be Gero, peddles by wearing a bright yellow rain coat with hood on a tiny tiny tricycle.

( Could be someone from Laugh-In, maybe )

( Why yes, I do drop cultural references into my conversations from last century. )

Anyway, sweet things are made into candy and ice cream. Everyone is looking for something. I travel the world and the 7 seas.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

See, I know Laugh-In and loved it, but the first thing I thought of was Paddington.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My imagination hasn't been worked enough recently. Hopefgully by posting in this thread it will get a work out.

Haven't read Paddington, but my siblings have.

That last bit slightly modified is from a song by Eurythmics.
  18. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Here we are in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We will be here today and tomorrow and are staying at The Antlers - Wyndham Hotel. These rooms are fantastic, the views of the Rocky Mountains are stunning, its almost a crime to leave them!! Speaking of Crime, our special surprise is being shown around Colorado Springs by Lt Joe Kenda, Ret. Homicide Detective with the Colorado Springs Police Department!!! I love Kenda, I am sure he is my father but my mum would disagree if she were alive.

So far this morning, Lt Kenda has taken us to Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. We are back in Colorado Springs on a break for lunch at Sandy's Restaurant, a local diner. Pike's Peak is the highest summit of the Southern Front Range of the Rocky Mountains in North America with an elevation 14,115 feet, it is termed an ultra-prominent fourteener and is about 12 miles west of downtown Colorado Springs. Pike's Peak is one of 53 fourteeners in Colorado, which is mountains that rise 14,000 feet above sea level. It is composed of pink granite, with the pink coloring coming from a large amount of potassium feldspar in the granite.

Garden of the Gods, is a park that was originally purchased in 1879 by a man named Charles Elliott Perkins, the head of the Burlington Railroad, to establish a summer home in the Garden of the Gods and to build his railroad from Chicago to Colorado Springs. Mr. Perkins never built his home on this land nor did he build his railroad to Colorado Springs, he instead proclaimed that the land would be open to the public and would never be built upon except for buildings needed to maintain the land as a park for the public. He never actually did the paperwork to legally make the land into a public park prior to his death in 1907, but his children, knowing his wishes gifted the land to Colorado Springs with the conditions that Mr. Perkins set forth.

On May 24, 2008 Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center announced the world's only known fossil of an entirely new dinosaur species, Theiophytalia kerri. Theios is of Greek origin, meaning "belonging to the gods" and phytalia means "garden" kerri honors the name of the scientist who first discovered this 125 million year old skull in Garden of the Gods Park. Here is a timeline I found about this dinosaur fossil:

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Timeline
    •1878 James Kerr, geology professor at Colorado College, finds a fossil skull "in one of the ridges of the Garden of the Gods."
    •1886 O.C. March, famous 1800's dinosaur collector from Yale University, obtains the fossil skull from James Kerr, identifies it as a Camptosaurus and sends the fossil to the Yale Peabody Museum.
    •1886-1995 The dinosaur fossil skull safely rests in the Yale Museum, but is forgotten in Colorado Springs.
    •1994 Colorado Springs City Park Staff research new exhibits for the Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center set to open in 1995.
    •1995 Kirk Johnson, curator of paleontology at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, refers the Park Staff to his colleague, Dr. Ken Carpenter, an expert dinosaur scientist.
    •Ken Carpenter remembers seeing in his files "something about a dinosaur fossil found in Garden of the Gods"
    •1996 Kirk Johnson (a Yale alumnus) secures permission to hand-carry the Camptosaurus fossil from Yale to Denver so Ken Carpenter can make a cast of the fossil.
    •Dr. Carpenter notices irregularities in the Camptosaurus fossil and decides to re-examine the fossil when his schedule permits.
    •1997 The Camptosaurus fossil replica is given to the City of Colorado Springs and is exhibited at the Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center
    •2006 Dr. Carpenter and his associate Kathleen Brill reassess the fossil skull and note that it differs from other Camptosaurus skulls in several significant ways:

– Shape and length of the snout

– Position and shape of the nasal and eye socket opening

– Variation of rock matrix on fossil reveal Cretaceous period soils

•The dinosaur skull is actually a brand new genus and species - Theiophytalia kerri.

•2008 Theiophytalia kerri is proudly re-exhibited at the Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center.

Besides wandering around outside and looking at the various formations nearby, we spent the majority of our time at the Garden of the Gods park in the Visitor & Nature Center as they have multiple large museums in there. There is a large geological museum, a flora and fauna museum, a people and history museum, as well as a photographic museum which has a large display of time lapse then and now exhibits and an interactive topographic map. This place is fantastic. The last time I was here, was in 2006 and the museums and such were not here, they opened as they are now in 2015. Its a good thing that our time delays were set really long today.

Well we are finishing up lunch and Lt Kenda is going to take us to the Cheyanne Mountain Zoo, Glen Eyrie Castle, The Space Foundation, The US Air Force Academy Planetarium, and the Peterson Air and Space Museum. So we have a full afternoon ahead of us!!!!

I have scheduled cocktail hour for 7 pm and dinner for 8 pm at the Bourbon Brothers Smokehouse in Colorado Springs. Then we have the rest of the night to enjoy the amenities of the hotel and those fantastic views of the Rocky Mountains. The pool is 24 hours. The spa and fitness center are open until 11 pm and the main bar is open until 2 am.

*passes out new hats to everybody with teeny tiny replicas of the miniature golf course and the Riverwalk on them, casts the group speed buff, checks the time delays so we have plenty of time for all the afternoons activities, and shouts*

Lets move out ROAD TRIPPERS, we have a lot to see and Lt Kenda is waiting on us, he loves our buses and our time delays!!!
  19. Breanna Well-Known Member

Cool History lesson :) I loved laugh in too, one of my favorites was Edith Ann.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  20. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Breanna stepped into the bus. As the door closed a giant spider leg grabbed her and dragged her back outside. She held onto the bottom step and Cyrrena casually walked down and stomped on her fingers, "Sorry" she said as the door closed. "No room." Breanna was dragged back into the now webbed covered lounge and before she knew what was happening, she was twirled up in webbing and hung upside down from the ceiling. The last thing she saw before her face was webbed over was six million tiny baby spiders hungrily moving toward her once again. Unfortunately, she's in a magic free quadrant, so that would seem to be the end. As Cyrrena cackles "Finally free of her!" she looks out the bus's front window only to see the funnel cloud bearing down on them. Up Up and Away! Fwalooooph!