Combat revamp soon?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Heinzy, May 15, 2019.

1. Heinzy Active Member

Would be really nice to see some work done on combat,

What ever your coworkers did in Lotro has to be done here. That game went from meh, to fun.

I really would prefer to not see another expansion where difficulty is measured by a bigger HP pool in solo instances.

EDIT - maybe if the trash could have a high % change of dropping something useful it would be worth it... I don't know, right now it is work.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

EQ2 code is spaghetti code. They'd likely have to almost recreate it all from scratch to make any major changes. I wouldn't hold your breath.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

That's what Smokeblower said they had to do with DoV to get flying mounts to work, but I gather that was with a much larger development team employed.
  4. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Flying mounts was me,one programmer and the environment team who had to cap the ceilings of every single zone.
    Jaden, Bludd, Soara2 and 7 others like this.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

Nek Forest sure has some interesting environment geometry. I remember in DoV Beta all kinds of ways of getting outside of the zone. Especially some of the joins where parts of the zone seem to get loaded and unloaded. Clearly some optimization ideas were attempted with the first few zones to be developed and abandoned. It's fascinating just how different Nek Forest and Thundering Steppes seem to be built compared to Antonica even though they're all launch zones.

I know some folks feel that flying shrunk the zones, but I personally was a huge fan and got a ton of enjoyment out of being able to fly and buzzing towers and enemies. A hearty thanks for your efforts. :)
    Jaden, Cyrrena, Soara2 and 4 others like this.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

As for any kind of combat revamp or spell/CA/AA consolidation, Planes of Prophecy was going to have this and then it was cancelled and this statement was included in the Beta notes:
    I see it as a huge missed opportunity to look at the current situation and decide to leave it be. Instead what happened is players just stopped hotbarring abilities that aren't worth casting unless *nothing else* is available to cast.

With Ascension, the continual speedup of combat, and the elimination of Autoattack as any kind of gameplay strategy, some classes ignore 50% of their AAs and 50% of their spells/CAs. Last I played, you literally could not pay Dirges enough to start fights by clicking those 4 green debuffs. No idea how other classes work but yeah...

So you might ask why do redundant abilities matter? Because there are no fan sites left helping players with casting order priority. Either you're a cool kid or you're not.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

you mean the watering down of the uniqueness of each of the classes, turning EVERYONE into Mages/Wizards was a deliberate choice?
    oohh,.. riiight,.. that way there only need be development for ONE class that just blows everything up, as opposed to the inter-dependency and strategic use of unique classes,... i get it now,.... :rolleyes:
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

This thread is not about Ascension.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  9. Redlight Well-Known Member

You clearly have no clue about endgame game-play.
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  10. Kicks New Member

Endgame? In this expansion?
    What endgame? Only tank & spank mobs with no scripts that are worth mentioning. The encounter scripts check whether you have enough resolve and potency, That's it. Oh and the t4 scripts also check if you have 7 runes equipped and the correct weapon. Wunnfirr is correct. Every class is a mage class now. Profession abilities are inferior to ascensions except for 3 or 4 classes. Endgame... lol
  11. Redlight Well-Known Member

You clearly never accordingly DPSed.
  12. Kicks New Member

Oh please enlighten me