Too many spells/abilities!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tocino the Troubadour, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

I'm a returning player and love, love, love the game. I forgot how much fun it is, how big the world is, and how much nicer and more mature the players are than on the "other" MMORPG.

But that said, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of spells and abilities. I have to have 4-5 bars filled with spells/abilities to see them all. And using a merc to do a lot of the content myself, I rarely get to pop off more than 3 or 4 spells before the mobs die. It seems like a waste. Even if I solo content without a merc, I wouldn't use more than a few. I would love to see it simplified somewhat....not totally dumbed down, but there are a lot of spells/abilities that have overlapping effects.
    Smashey, Jazznblues, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  2. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

make macros. good way to "use" the abilities/spells you normally would have forgotten or didnt have time to click. If they dont trigger, oh well at least it was there if the mob didnt die already lol plus it's a great way to clean up your hotbars
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Bleh. Learn your class, don't use the mercenary if he kills too fast for you. Read your spells. Some of us like all the spells we get. If you don't, maybe try eq1
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Feara Well-Known Member

and now we have ascensions :confused:

at the rate it's going, they'll be selling hotbars before we know it.
    Player2, kingmob23, Crock and 3 others like this.
  5. Soara2 Well-Known Member

You can have 10 hotbars. They can be moved and resized. 4 for Ascension, one for pvp only stuff, one for temp buffs or rarely used spells and 4 for mainly used spells. My son loves to duel, so I do have the pvp bar but y'all don't have to
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

as a temporary alternative,.. since you have a DBG Account,.. try EverQuest I, as it uses the same username/passphrase as you use here.

where one has a whopping 6-8 skills at any one point in time. (can be increased to ~12 with Alternate Advancement and/or expansion)
    this is the roots to EverQuest II, where many of us started at, and might be something to consider,...
    Tommara, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Tbh, I think if the amount of spells here overwhelm the op, the amount of AA on eq1 would be way worse.
    This is an issue of TIME. Don't expect to be some pro right out of the gate. You will get the hang of it. Just takes some time.

Overlapping effects? You need to open spell book and select the sort button and check the max level option for spells and abilities tab.
    Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  8. Ghostouls Well-Known Member

Just take your best 3-5 spells put them on your hotbar and be done with it, or learn to macro. Read your spells, they all do different things, that you use in different situations, do you want to rebuild your bars for every encounter? There are ways to consolidate. Remove spells you seldom or never use. Only list your spells at the Max level in you book. Not to mention, the main spells you get, later on are the same just a higher version, no need to keep the previous versions around.

Who wants 1 spell... click, click, click, click, click... By learning your class and reading your spells and learning what they do, and when to use them, you are gaining an expertise in what you do.
    Dude and Soara2 like this.
  9. Berret1 Member

No! Swtor sells hotbars, I don't have a good chunk of my skills on my bars because of that!
    Feara, Rhodris, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Almee Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP that there are way too many spells, on some classes. Making macros is time consuming and requires a level of skill that a lot of casual players may not have. I have all 10 hotbars filled and could use more for my crafting and harvesting.

I have found, over time, that some spells are never used and I eliminate them from my hotbar. There are other spells, I use only once or twice a day, such as calling a work station, that I call them from my knowledge book rather than take up 7 hotbar slots.

Managing hotbars takes time and experience. What works for one person won't work well for another. And if you hopped into the game, with a level 110, the number of spells will definitely be overwhelming so sort your spells by max level and read each spell description to see if you think you will use the spell enough to put it on your hotbar.
    Jazznblues, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  11. Berret1 Member

This is true, I came back after a long break, logged into my Paladin and well, I would rather restart because I have no idea what anything is anymore since it's been so long!
    I'm fine with a lot of skills (beats the 111111,2222,333,1111 from another game) But sometimes it's just Help me so many bars what do all these things do.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  12. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I really don't get it. Not trying to be rude here but my 6 and 12 year olds have no issues with the amount of spells/abilities
    Kristabella, Dude and Breanna like this.
  13. Feara Well-Known Member

This works for me. I seem to learn better in the first 20 levels.
  14. Berret1 Member

Yeah, if I'm just leveling I can figure it out, but if i take a break from the game I find it really hard to settle back on a high level character when I return.
  15. Raff Well-Known Member

With a merc there is no challenge to lower levels. Any class can molo most mobs outside of Orange / Red...and probaby orange too.

My defiler uses every spell bar allowed. A lot of them are passives, but sometimes important passives turn off randomly. If I wanted 8-10 skills I'd go play GW2 (which I do sometimes cause its fairly mindless entertainment)
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Tocino the Troubadour Active Member

Anytime someone starts a sentence with:
    I don't mean to sound....Not trying to be....

Doesn't matter what comes after that, (rude, racist, sexist, whatever) that's how it comes across.
    Xianthia, Tommara, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

Coming to a conclusion about spells/skills meant for group play based upon your solo/molo experience doesn't really make any sense.
  18. Soara2 Well-Known Member

19. Tommara Active Member

Not trying to be rude, but I don't believe you.

Provide proof that your 6 and 12 year olds are max level with all ascension abilities.
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. Jovie Well-Known Member

The only thing i can add to this discussion is that i wish the game were like Neverwinter in one apect.
    The characters have three main abilities and two big ones, all located near the movement keys.
    With a small amount of practice, you can do your ablities and actually watch the combat on the screen take place.
    In eq2 i spend more time pressing buttons and less time seeing the dance of combat on the screen.
    Soara2 likes this.