Tyranny Of Status Points

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Drona, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I remember that scandal and the tale that went with it!!!!
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That is true, unless you keep a slot or two free so that you can make one or two on the fly to get the BIG THREE, for completion on a double status weekend. I do not have any free slots on mine, but I do have 4 free slots on the Spousal Unit's account. Well they are not free right now, they have placeholders that have Newsies and Thalumbra, which are ready to do the last step before turning them in on the next double status weekend.
  3. Feara Well-Known Member

Devs there needs to be a happy medium your willing to meet players at on the status gain.

Give working girls/boys a break will ya? I have a day job, thanks and I need to keep it.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

It's always fun to read threads like this. First, to the OP's original point, the status requirements far exceed the status rewards currently available to the player doing current content. It's simple fact. A one time guide quest might yield significant status reward like the Nebulous Newsie quest, etc. But they are the exception, not the rule. And again, they're a one-time event. Heroics/raids don't yield that much status compared to the "price" of items, nor do TS dailies. So there's a balance issue here. You can stick your head in the sand and defend what's being done, and that's all well and good. Point in fact, they're imbalanced.

And once again, we get sidetracked with the plat issue. Yes, plat duping impacted the economy. I find it odd that DBG couldn't seem to track down and nail the alleged plat dupers, but remember how fast they hammered "exploiters" for the 'buy it on the vendor for coppers' and sell it back for plat" problem we had years ago. A problem, those of us who were around at the time, correctly identified as a in-game issue from Sony/DBG part for not bothering to check internal work product. "Players should have known better," was the response. That's a debate for another time.

So the plat duping was done years ago, but every year prices are climbing to buy Kronos on the market along with everything else. Masters, which used to drop somewhat frequently, literally disappeared from the scene within the last few years. Last xpac I recall that dropped Masters in raid zones with some frequency was Thalumbra. Since KA, they went rare as hen's teeth. They're virtually non-existent in today's raid zones. Economies don't inflate unless new currency is introduced into the marketplace, that's a simple economic fact. Whether it's done through political announcement or surreptitiously done is immaterial. The plat has to come from somewhere. And if you want to control an economy, you influence the products available in the market. Want prices for products to climb? You dampen the production of said product. Law of supply and demand.

Now, given just a few of the facts presented here, ask yourself this question. Who is ultimately benefiting from largely unaccounted for sums of plat/money in the marketplace? These are the kinds of questions that help clarify the economics of a nation...or in this case, EQ2. As Sig has pointed out a number of times, economists in the real world have studied the EQ2 economy. Have you ever met or conversed with someone who was an economist? Trust me, they live in a whole different world than the average person, haha. Now ask yourself this question: given those studies, what could actually be of interest in a game economy that would draw economists to actually study it? Because, in it's purest form, a game economy just ain't that complicated. And so, for those of you who are bored with TSing and running yet one more PQ or heroic zone, take a break and pack a bowl or pour a glass, prop your feet up and let your mind and diagnostic prowess do its thing. Or, as The Pilgrim said recently, "Dear Ones, I am here to set you free," haha. Thanks for humoring me for those of you who got to the end of this "wall of text."
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah-HA! I knew I hadn't misremembered that! I do think the coppers->plat exploit was all under the purview of DBG completely by that time, but it hadn't been too long since they bailed on SONY (or vice versa). One immediate result of it that I noticed was that after they finally stomped on that poisonous bug, they immediately cranked up the reward on the "Small Bag of Plat" from 75p to 500p, which imho did nothing whatsoever to help curb inflation. It wasn't the cause of the mess, but it was a symptom. And selling Kronos for whatever can be got for them doesn't help, either; nor did DBG caving to people whinging around that they were gonna rage-quit if they couldn't sell things for over 999,999 plat, or whatever the issue was. X-P

I do agree with what Sigrdrifa had to say about plat and the economy in another thread, but other than selling things to us on the Marketplace that we can cash in for status, what would be the point of cranking up the status costs -- oh. I answered my own question, didn't I? :-/

Uwk
    sad to see the rule of "no Pay-to-Win" fall by the wayside... :-/
    Cyrrena, Mermut, Bhayar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's an artificial method of gating us from items. They do not want us to be able to stroll up to the vendor and buy every luscious thing we want, because then everybody would be overpowered for the content, and we'd all quickly be bored because there'd be no challenge. They have to dangle the carrot.

I'm trying to save up for a couple of the green adorns, which means that that toon has gone back and done all the HQs (she'd never done any), crafting writs out the wahoo, missions, etc. trying to come up with the 30 million status she needs for ONE. However, some green adorns also drop in raids, and while I didn't get one, we had like four of the same green adorn drop last night, so eventually I will get to upgrade those greens somehow.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Except status cost isn't just for 'carrots'... it's also required to unlock armor patterns (which aren't 'carrots' but required). If the huge status cost was just on the unlocker, you'd have a point (as far as armor goes).
    Having the black adorns cost 17m EACH also makes it... nearly prohibitive... to main swap (for raiding).
    I understand having the cost be status so you can't have an army of toons feeding one character and I actually agree that's not a bad idea. The problem is that the status cost is close to an order of magnitude too high to be sustainable from normal 'in game' activities.
  8. semisus Does not play this game

Better way to earn status would be nice , we used be to do writs for decent status
    Updated version with better status gains for crafting or adventure writs would be nice , also seeing how much xp is required to lvl guild better ways would help
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Absolutely! :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  10. Breanna Well-Known Member

I miss the adventure writs for sure, they should bring them back.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Prox Well-Known Member

A return of multiple heritage quests per expansion. With decent rewards would be very nice.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Choice of adventuring gear or house item(s)! :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Blazen and Breanna like this.
  13. Beanno New Member

Done in the real world.

How Inflation Targeting Works
    Yes Daybreak could but won't. No it's not "equivalent to the price of one month subscription."

Price of Krono $17.99 USD.
    Price of 1 month membership is $14.99 USD.

In my part of the planet, try paying $14.99 USD for $17.99 USD at checkout, and see where you end up.
    Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River

No there's more than one option. Daybreak lowers Krono price to $14.99 USD, the real "equivalent to the price of a one month subscription," and plat inflation drops.

Price of 12 month membership is "equivalent to" $9.99 USD a month.

Daybreak lowers Krono price to $9.99 USD, and plat inflation drops.

I say won't happen because Daybreak would lose large swaths of real cash infusion.
    Stretching the facts into fiction, is an excellent way to weaken a missive and question any conclusion.

Lowering the price of Krono does have a benefit to status collection. Leaves the player with more real world cash to buy status items. Or better use free to subscribers 500 a month Daybreak Cash to buy status.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

krono != plat
    The only relationship the $ value of krono has with the plat value in game is factor of supply vs demand.
    Lowering the $ value of krono doesn't change the amount of plat in the game. The cost of infusing and SLR isn't going to go down if the price of krono (in plat or $) goes down. And those costs (especially SLR) are the major driving factor behind krono. If somebody can't get enough plat from selling krono to buy that shiny piece of SLR gear they want, they're going to stop buying krono. Supply of krono goes down, plat priced go back up.. and no dbc is making less per krono than before without any lasting changes in game.
    The way to deal with plat inflation has to address plat.. not krono.
    Cyrrena and Sigrdrifa like this.
  15. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

They made the Krono redeemable for 1 month of game time, so it's worth 1 month's membership. That's its value, regardless of the initial purchase price. The extra $3 is basically just the surcharge for being able to resell it in-game.

You're paying $17.99 for a $14.99 value contained in a tradeable medium.
    Cyrrena, Mermut and Breanna like this.
  16. Kuulei Well-Known Member

The reason I am using Mischievous Hackamore of Status because I am burning through status faster than I am earning it. o_O
    I may have to start running alts through the Anchorage quests, just so they can scribe any 3-charge potion recipes and make them for me, to save me status.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

I forget which merchant has it, but one of the Anchorage merchants has a thorns pot that is as good as the Elysian one..
    It's 3 charge, but it only costs anchorage tokens, no status.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  18. Bentenn Well-Known Member

. What’s the purpose of an alt if you could simply just make it equal to your raid main by simply buying things at a low price. Unlock the rune on an alt...unlock the armor plating the alt...that’s the purpose of an alt..to play, not just simply click and gear it up
    Cyrrena likes this.
  19. Bentenn Well-Known Member

like I said in the above post..the purpose of an alt is to play it..not simply deck it out because your main has it. Then you end up in the same place. I made a toon 5 days ago and have it filled out with gear from selling lore and legends, agonies, and running zones Have made almost 40 million status and spent what I’ve needed and still have 20 left. Is it 100 million...nope. Will it get done what I need, yes.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  20. Avithax Well-Known Member

Gotta weigh in on this one, If you were a prize fighter with a 100:1 fighting record why would your alt be ranked #2 world wide? One of the reasons I play this game versus many others is because I use the 100 hotbars to be the best at class, the best I can possibly be barring lag and game mechanics.

Everquest 2 is a dying world, don't pollute it with an entitlement of status. The genious that created Norrath is hanging by a thread and if you want your alts to be a part of shaping it's history then get your lazy a@@ out of the chair and go earn it.
    Cyrrena likes this.