How I feel about the merger of FG to AB

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Notouchie, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Notouchie New Member

I write this as a pissed off customer. I came back to this game after a LONG hiatus to join the new progression server Fallen Gate. I had planned it to be my last hurrah in the world of Norrath and hoped to explore all the expansions I missed from when I left the game originally back in TSO.

Well we got to Destiny of Velious low and behold, for some unforeseen reason, the devs decide that not only do they want to open two new servers, they completely abandon the already running one of Fallen Gate.

All we as players asked for on FG, is that they fix the itemization on the server for this xpac. The gear drops were worse than the previous xpac and with Prestige HQ's there was no reason to raid as that was BiS without a gear pass. We waited weeks with no response from Kander or anyone for that matter about the issues. Anyone on Discord who brought it up as a point of discussion was banned.

As the opening of Kaladim got closer, guilds started to realize that the devs were actually leaving the server to die and they started actually quitting the game in droves. FG went from a fairly decent population during prime time to less than 20 online at any given time now.

I invested a great deal of money to play on the PROGRESSION server, not to play on live. I would not have minded getting to that point after playing the game through its expansions, gearing up organically and learning all the new things that the game put in through the years. Now, I will not have that chance.

We are being forced (if we want to keep our toons and investments) to a live server with no real upside in it for us. Besides not being even close to ready to play high level, we have to hopefully find a way to group at levels where no one is, find guild that MIGHT want to "help" us along to max level, but that is a heck of an investment of time for them. As it stands right now, from posts to this fact, the learning curve for new content is astronomical. When you need spreadsheets to play a GAME, you really need to look at whether it is actually a game or work.

I feel that at the very least, if this is going to happen, we should get, not only server transfer tokens which is meh in terms of compensation, but max level boost with all the perks that go with that so at the minimum, we would at least not be stuck leveling from 90 though 110 and trying to gear up to be of any use in groups with the new systems you have implemented.

I for one do not know if even with that, if I would want to play on live at this point. I feel almost bait and switched with this development. I have spent a crap ton of money on this game to play on FG. TBH, how long before you do the same thing to those on Kaladim? There seems to be a pattern here and once folks decide that enough is enough, you wont be able to milk any more money from your subs to play on your TLE servers as you obviously do not plan them to run longer than they have before you open something else and abandon the ones you have started.

Shame on you Daybreak for doing us this way. I am not sure how long you will be able to run your games this way before we become fed up enough to stop feeding you money. It will be a shame to hear that EQ and EQ2 will no longer be a game anyone plays not due to the game itself but the mismanagement of the devs.
    Meneltel, Feara and Soara2 like this.
  2. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

it will be about 2 years maybe and yes people complained after Stormhold went down too.
    With Stormhold it took so long for it to finally go down that some people were hoping we could go to FG.
    I am really sad , because I never had a chance to play the later expansion with full groups and lot's of people
    the way I played the game till they came out with the TLE servers was being dragged around by a high level player
    who killed the mobs with 2 hits or running green quests by myself , so FG was great for me .
    some people said it was dead , but we had sometimes 3 channels for any given zone when the last expansion came out we even had 6 for Great Divide.
    I wished they would leave FG up and transfere all future TLE servers into it once the population goes down.
    On EQ 1 people where told that their servers will stay up I don't know how it works that there can be so many TLE servers
    still be up and new ones come out like once a year.
    I also think FG and now Kaladim are a perfect opportunity to go a different direction at Kunark ascending.
    the increase of hitpoints at that time was just insane.
    Well I think FG would have stayed up if people would not have so totally abandoned the server.
    But by shifting the EQ achievements to Kaladim was a sure way to send most players there.
    I don't know if it does not have something to do with people not buying depots and other such things anymore.
    But I also always say if Daybreak makes not enough money , the game will go down all together.
    And I also have to reaped another statement that we don't own what we buy in this game , we only rent it.
    Cyrrena, Feara and Soara2 like this.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

People on EQ1 have begged on forums for mergers for some of their TLEs so /shrug. They get pretty dead too. However, EQ1 has more players than EQ2 I think and they seem more devoted (characters take so long to level up I guess) so it takes longer.

EQ1 has merged some of their older timelocked servers, unfortunately for the, apparently the server merge went far less smoothly than they usually do for EQ2.

The whole draw of TLEs is the nostalgia factor for many players that roll up characters there. Once the nostalgic shine wears off or they start getting to the expansions they didn't enjoy the first time around, they'll leave again. Often for the next TLE, or back to the regular servers to do whatever is new there. I'm sorry for people who expected it to be more.

Still, IMO getting merged would be better than just playing on a dead server.

All I can tell you folks who invested a huge amount of time and effort into you Fallen Gate character, is that progression guilds do exist. If one doesn't, you can always make one and gather other like-minded people. You never have to set foot in the zones like Plane of Magic or the Elemental Planes if you don't want to.
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  4. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I find it totally baffling that this merger is a surprise to anyone, tbh.
    kingmob23, Finora, Blazen and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghorast Active Member

So why did you waste "great deal of money" on FG again? Did you actually buy yourself level ten familiar and all those live expansions for pay to win features when it was BLATANTLY obvious the server would end up just like Stormhold did from day one? TLE are not permanent servers and never will be, not with the level of effort Daybreak is willing/capable of putting in and the death of Stormhold should have been the first clue.
    Blazen, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I also fail to understand why this has come as a surprise, given the track record for previous TLEs. When the new one is opened, the old one is shuttered. FG was never going to be anything other than a temporary server.

Edit: And no, it is not and never has been a PROGRESSION server - it is a Time Locked Expansion server (that's what TLE stands for, after all). That means that expansions unlock after a specified period of time. None of them have ever been true progression servers, including the current Kaladim.
    Meneltel, Cyrrena, Sigrdrifa and 3 others like this.
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

You don't need help getting to 110 on live. You grind agnostics zones till 95 or do AoM quests, or Chrono down to 80 for sebelis. Either way at 95 you solo in Skyshrine and at 100 do quests in plane of magic. I ran 7 of my characters on the PoM quests in the last 2 days. It's a pain but extremely doable.
    Plus prior to 100, many times old bored players will offer free pl in general chat. Seems to happen frequently on Skyfire the most though. You pay for the game. I'm not sure what the appeal is for a stripped down version of it, but that's just me.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Malachy Well-Known Member

AB has a long history of progression guilds, far before TLE's came into existence. There is one now called <Rewind> which has one of the most active guilds on the server. I believe they are currently raiding as locked level 70s. Keep in mind they are committed to progression, so HQs, achievements are rewarded and gear/AA are monitored on raids to keep the content as difficult as it can be. There's no reason why a guild couldn't be created for the scattered people that remained on FG to pick up exactly where they left off.

That said, moving to live at this point benefits you in every imaginable way except one -- your in game money is basically wiped out of relevance. IMHO if the devs could convert your coin to live standards that would go a long, long way. Otherwise, you have more players to connect with and you have more tools available so you can experience the content the way you want -- whether that is continuing progression or quickly hitting cap.

I agree that devs almost entirely abandoned the server back in SF and it's been a joke ever since. But anyone can go back to the forums here and see that the consensus was this is exactly what would happen around level 90 as it's the consensus it will happen again to Kaladim. Everything in the gaming world is temporary, you enjoy it while it lasts and move on when it stops giving you pleasure. RL and all that.
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

thanks, "splatterpunk28" , for the name :).
    Stormhold was dead a long time before they handed out tokens FG was not heck I knew they will take it down , I was just hoping we could get 3 more expansions up from there.
    And yes you do get a upgrade of sort's, when you get to any of the regular servers you will get some ability points to help with that ghastly hit point thing I was talking about earlier once you get to planes of magic you can pick up a free gear pack for your class.
    I went through the sad ending of a game I liked to play , I rather end up on a server like AB than never see my toons again.
    by the way I like Antonia Bayle there are some extra things you get to do there that no other server has :D
    And heck it's for sure better on my little legs , all those portals work and all the bells too.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  10. Feara Well-Known Member

This is a very bad sore spot for some vets. I followed my friends over to Stormhold when it first rolled out. I ended up having to leave the game for a few years for my Dad. When I returned to the game I found Stormhold shut down and my toons on AB. For me it was not that big of a deal because I had spent no money before I had to depart. It's a crying shame thou that some of the vets had to pay to transfer toons because they were not on during the closer time. I have never understood why a free transfer cannot be given to be used at a later date for vets.

Consider this a hard lesson learned: TLE = wiped server (it's just a matter of time).

At least their actually relaying that information now. Maybe someone somewhere started feeling guilty.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Too bad devs haven't figured out a workable way to perma-mentor (to increase as the max level increases) Fallen Gate toons down to the max level on Kaladim so they could transfer there and stay on a TLE server!
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Feara and 2 others like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

I think the bigger problem is the stuff that FG had, but Kaldim doesn't (e.g. familiars).
    Finora, Soara2, Bekkr and 2 others like this.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I do like the idea of all the transferred toons getting a 110 token for both adventure and tradeskill, I think that would go a long way to lessening the sting of catching up.
    It cost DBG nothing and would probably foster better relations with the company as a whole.
    Frogwarp, Soara2, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

AB is not dead and its not the pariah people seem to think it is. There are a lot of very nice helpful people, they just don't look at general chat, most have it turned off. Turn on Homeshow, Crafting, Test, all of the people in any of those channels will answer questions and help if they can at all hours of the day and night.

Rewind, Army of Obliteration, the Gilded Rose, House Zen'Myr, and Dark Citadel are all good guilds with good people that are willing to help as long as you are willing to help yourself as well. Reach out to them, talk to people you pass, make friends, you will find there are more people than you think there are.
    Meneltel, Feara, Praaji and 3 others like this.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I always turn on homeshow on any TLE server I went to on at least one toon. I also play on the test server and it get's a little lonely there sometimes. If you think FG is quiet the public test server is really low population.
    And yes I said AB is special you get more than just guide quests you get player made festivals and activities
    Also FG had Beast lords and Channelers.
  16. Beee Well-Known Member

Are the servtransfer coins deivered for FG players? Logged in an did not get one. Expected it in my mail
    Soara2 likes this.
  17. TechUp Active Member

It automatically appears in your bags.
    Beee, Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  18. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If you did not get one, you should /petition and make sure to update that petition frequently, do not wait for the email, just put something like I am a real person and I need real assistance. This way the system does not auto close your petition as resolved.
    Beee, Xianthia, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Beee Well-Known Member

Tnx!

About 30 seconds after logging on a toon a lgmessage
    You receive \aITEM 1364761965 2111358654:Transfer off Time-Locked Expansion Server\/a.
    confirms the token. I have just overlooked it
    Cyrrena likes this.