PSA for new players making a tank

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Venser, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

This a 100 times over.

DPS has such a simple role, they should be able to take the responsibility for what they are targeting. Particularly with /togglethreatlistwindow

As a tank, I need to target what I need to target to maintain agro. This is frequently the very last thing the DPS should be targeting.
    Zenji likes this.
  2. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

If you move your character, your AoEs hit different mobs. That's an intermediate technique, you might want to get the basics down first.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

I bet as you are moving around using your 8 target AoE and having your DPS target through you, your groups and raids go so well!
  4. Pumpkin Member

If the tank dies it's the healers fault. If the healer dies it's the tanks fault. If the dps dies its their own damn fault.
    Sixgauge and Feara like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the most important part of being a tank, the wedding tackle measuring contests...
    Zeddicious likes this.
  6. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I don't tell the dps what to do. They usually target through me in groups, because I don't need to cycle every target. You should keep the mobs in a tight pile in front of your shield. There's no way you're doing that if you're mass pulling but aren't moving.
  7. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

If a dps rips aggro on the wrong mob, I rest easy knowing it will snap back to me after it kills them. I will target the mob and ranged attack and throw taunts or a rescue at it if available. But it's up to them to bring the mob back before they die... I'm not going to frontal the raid and ruin my positioning to chase down a loose mob because someone else screwed up. Plus that's what OTs are for.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

You keep doing it your way.. glad it is working out so well for ya. I look forward to following your progression on this server, with all that knowledge I am sure you will do very well in game.
  9. Rippit New Member

:eek:
    Atan likes this.
  10. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Great, try to hang out longer than KoS this time.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

I will do my best, thanks! Hopefully you can get your Prismatic before DoF this time.
  12. Tdark New Member

Brutal, savage, wrecked. Absolutely taken down.
    Zenji likes this.
  13. Venser Active Member

I don't target thru the tank, if i did that how would i be able to dps. depending on fight length, find another target in a group as dps and burn that one. if its a longer fight keep on the debuffed target. :)
  14. Atan Well-Known Member

I still tab to dot more mobs, particularly at this point in game where say Acid lasts more than twice as long as the recast. Can be maintained on multiple mobs. While yes focus the debuffed target, if you're not spreading it around, you're missing out on damage.

Lastly, its far easier for me to manage agro and swap to another target by directly targeting the mob. Its much easier to see when I need to dehate, swap, or pause rather than rip.

But alas, this turns into an almost political argument in EQ2, much like if running a custom UI is needed to dps or heal well.
  15. Venser Active Member

i know id rather get 2 auto attacks off a mob than 1 that dies in 3 seconds vs me fighting another mob. im not arguing your point, im just saying to six that as a dps, AE dps, i will not focus the main debuffed mob unless it takes longer than normal to kill. like normal is still even 3-4 seconds, not enough time for 2 auto attacks, id rather hit 5 auto attacks on another mob that will also get a debuff and get the final blow with an auto or my highest hitting ability. if i focus burn the debuffed mob that dies in 4 seconds, im losing out if there are other mobs to hit.
  16. Venser Active Member

I've used default ui for the majority of this game, still do. I only started using the melee auto timer in FG. Auto isnt hard to time. Just saying tho tasks can be done with default. Nothing takes me extra efforts and I am not bad at this easy game. Easy but fun I suppose
  17. Momo Well-Known Member

Fascinating! Seems I got that whole aggro concept wrong all the time. As I am mostly pickup grouping, I had the impression aggro is a kind of ping pong game - who drops it, loses! Normal rotation: First aggro goes to the healer, especially the pre-warding ones. Then the dps engage in a pissing contest to grab it firstly off the heals and after that from each other - who dies first, wins. At the point the tank has it back, game is over. Outcome is maybe 50/50: If really "mob dead" instead of "group wipe", there is an additional step: Trigger trap on chest, do /sadface because chest toppes parse, add /sadface after you see loot.

Atm the stats on loot consistently holds aggro from the whole group, so chest -> wins.
    I was always so convinced I got the gist of the game :rolleyes:
    Bekkr and Hot_Rod like this.
  18. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

fire n ice is pretty hard, I may stick to carpentry and tanking the occasional avatar. I had fun raiding with you on your monk, when my coercer alt was out parsing all your chanters from the tank group. but sk is not like monk, so hit me up when you're ready to learn what a reactive threat buff does and how a shield works with plate tank avoidance.
  19. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

lol guildies
  20. Smug New Member

I would note, just for the sake of conversation, that a tank is more likely to announce things like this than most other roles. They are typically expected to spearhead the group and might need a hand with navigation or unusual mechanics for some encounters. I do agree it is a more difficult position to fill for the new player than heals or dps.
    Bekkr likes this.