Fiery Blast V2.0

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Rondo9, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Assassin's assasinate on TLE hit's for a million, my ice comet in comparison hits for around 300-400k. They also get shadow step as a SF endline, and warlocks get dark aggravation.

Caith why.

#Freefieryblast
  2. Rondo9 Active Member

Because Caith hates Wizards!
  3. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Forever Warlock.
    Kioske likes this.
  4. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Fast thoughts:

FB and FC are sort of linked at the hip. They hold a place in history as being the way for Sorcs to spike.
    Because spike damage was largely replaced by a revenue generator (ascensions), it is likely that we can't expect to see that spike damage ever be returned. Partially because if working as Sorcs would like, they would scale too well with ascensions.

Of course, one possible fix would be to "fix" both abilities, but not allow the abilities to be impacted by ascensions. Focus casting goes back to being uber-strong, but doesn't impact ascensions, and same with fiery blast.

That said - if FC didn't get fixed while I still played and clamored for it, and if FB didn't get fixed during Daray's era, you should probably accept this is the direction the Devs have decided to go. Sometimes, some of these decisions are a little out of their hands, too (again, ascensions are likely a business model they're required to push for some level of revenue generation, and without revenue, you have no game) .

I wish I had been as mature in my "dps the world" era as I have become in my "I game sometimes, I guess" era.

Keep on fighting the good fight, Sorcs.

Also, RIP eq2flames.
    Kioske likes this.
  5. SacDaddy420 Active Member

Fiery Blast when it worked was the best. You had to actually think ahead and have knowledge of the fights to use it to its max. I member answering tells about my rotation back in the day.

Whats really blowing my mind tho on that parse linked 1st page is how high flametongue is. Like whoa.
  6. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

I think Mogrim has a point, FC and FB would work too well with their precious ascension so they destroy the original class abilities so they can't be much better etheralists then others. They could just change it back to its original form on TLE like they did with Fusion.
  7. Earar Well-Known Member

and what's the issue of it working too well ?

the point of dps classes is to have tools to do better with ascensions than priests, fighters or supports. So to me it wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  8. Rubick Well-Known Member

9. Magmag Active Member

Guys clearly we just have to wait and see, like Kioske said. Fiery Blast will be amazing with gear, he can just feel it in his bones. If you don't agree with him it means you're a bad player. Also, for all those who don't enjoy getting beat up on parses, RIP wizards. #makewizardsgreatagain
    Revanu likes this.
  10. Sykle I use too many words sometimes.

Anyone who says combat arts do no damage clearly does not know what an assassin is.
  11. Sykle I use too many words sometimes.

Don't mean to bring up old dirt, (jk i do), but it works like this, confirmed with the a developer who was in charge of stats and itemization, and a several math majors who I raid with, whom have created and use stat spreadsheets created over thousands of hours of gameplay and testing.
    Tooltip -> Main Stat -> Potency -> Ability Modifier -> Critical Hit (base 50% increase) -> Crit Bonus -> Fervor.
    Anything that says "increases base damage by X to "Ability" increases the tooltip by that %.
    Anything that says "increases damage of "Ability" by X" increases the ability's potency, which is additive to regular potency.
    Note that ability modifier DOES NOT factor into Spell or Ability Doublecast.
    At this point, the ability hits the mob. This is where the tooltip matters, because all of the stats mentioned affect all abilities equally unless specified on the ability itself (i.e. Unda Arcanus Spiritus/Daggerstorm)
    Then the following happens.
    Regular Mitigation (can be lowered or nullified by raid/groups debuffs) -> Combat Mitigation(can be lowered or nullified by raid/groups debuffs) -> %Increase Procs (Anguish, Rending) -> Resolve %

Therefore, we can accurately assume that basing our casting rotations around tooltips is a almost always a very accurate way of finding out how damage will scale when comparing one ability to another. The only (i think) exception to this rule is Feedback Loop, because of the damage scaling by % of mana spent (which im pretty sure just doesn't work). Fiery Blast has no such mechanic, nor has ever had such mechanic. Old Fiery Blast was only every broken because they couldn't balance it around the introduction of fervor in Terrors of Thalumbra, and changed it multiple times to tone down its damage, effectively breaking it, because of how unique of an ability it is.
    This game isn't that complex. There's no "Back End Math".

Abilities are only "Class Defining" because, at one point or another, it was a top parsing ability, or a cumulative majority of their parse, much like how in the class description on the Wizard Class on the character select screen it literally says " Channeling the full force of these elements into deadly focus, no other type of mage is able to match the Wizard's ability to inflict such great devastation upon a single target.". That hasn't been true for a long time.

It could be argued that autoattack was a class defining aspect of being a scout, but we all know that has changed. If you don't know what you're talking about, anyone who does is going to laugh at you when you insist you are right, despite having no actual, correct facts to back up what you are saying.

Mag lmk if i should keep holding on to my microphone.
    Wimble, Earar and Magmag like this.
  12. Magmag Active Member

But man he can just FEEL that it's going to get better with time, like a fine wine. He can feel it. Let's wait until we have more gear and see. I don't want to say it's bad because when I said it was bad before it clearly made me a bad wizard. But at least all wizards are bad now so I would have plenty of company on that dead toon.
  13. Kioske Well-Known Member

Considering potency mitigation is a thing and it affects different skills differently.... hmmm... I guess "bad wizard" is what we will go with.

"There is no back end math" keep telling yourself that. If you haven't been paying attention to patch notes for the last (ever), it's no wonder you don't understand how much back end math there is concerning skills and spells.
  14. Magmag Active Member

You are delusional. You're still trying to cling onto the fact that Fiery Blast may be good as we get more gear. Lol what a joke. It's all good. I've heard about you now and not a single person has anything good to say so I'm just going to move on. There are tons of other mediocre-at-best warlocks I could get input from if I wanted it. The fact you couldn't even top parses in an expansion where warlocks were so far and away the best class is laughable and makes a lot of sense given your knowledge of combat mechanics. You use the phrase "back end math" like Donald Trump trying to explain his way out of something when he's clearly in over his head.
  15. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Isn't there some backend fervor bonus to classes or something?

That doesn't calculate into tooltips.

I tested all my tooltips before/after the TLE "fervor bonuses" and nothing was changed on the tooltips, yet my averages did go up.

Also not all AA's that increase "base damage" are actually modifying the tooltip, so be careful how you actually spec your toons. I've found only stuff like in the prestige tree for wizard is actually doing anything~
    /shrug.
    Basically, spell will forever be useless, feelsbadman.
    Magmag likes this.
  16. Sykle I use too many words sometimes.

There is a backend fervor bonus to all classes, which varies depending on the class. But this fervor just gets added onto your normal fervor found on gear, so when you are calculating the overall dmg of the ability this is a negligible difference. For wizards its like 16% iirc. For assassins its 20, and most healers are under 10, for example. Any AA that says "base damage" actually modifies the tooltip before any other modifiers. Any AA that says "increases the damage" is just potency.
  17. Sykle I use too many words sometimes.

"Considering potency mitigation is a thing and it affects different skills differently.... hmmm... I guess "bad wizard" is what we will go with.

"There is no back end math" keep telling yourself that. If you haven't been paying attention to patch notes for the last (ever), it's no wonder you don't understand how much back end math there is concerning skills and spells."

This is implying that blanket stats affect skills differently. Potency mitigation is just reducing your effective potency across the board. It affects every spell equally. I would like to see the math behind what you are saying, with sources. Because everything I have said is backed up by forums posts, extensive testing, and developer confirmations.

That being said, there are some improvements that can be made to individual abilities through gear, or alternate advancement (press the L button to see these).

When I say there is no back end math, I mean that how stats apply is a known fact. There is no "secret krabby patty formula" for how this game works. There are stats that affect our abilities that do not show up in the character window, yes, but everything in this category has been communicated to us in exact % values by the dev team, AND every stat like this affects all of our abilities equally. If you think that the developers of eq2 are just saying "im gunna make this ability do less damage than the math would suggest because 'lol get rekt'" then you are truly an imbecile.

In conclusion, I would like to quote a favorite movie of mine:
    Mr Kioske, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Cheers
  18. Wimble Active Member

Talk about kicking an already dead, rotting dog jesus I think magmag already dumped hard on him.
    Magmag likes this.