More Daybreak layoffs

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Destrius, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destrius New Member

Kheldar and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Castegyre Well-Known Member

From the Massively article:
    "[Update] We now understand from sources that those laid off may have been working on a secret game with a top IP. It sounds as if the core MMORPGs are safe."
    Siren likes this.
  3. Furiant Member

For whatever it's worth, I hope our devs come out of this alright. Any executive that would lay off people weeks before xmas is just downright blackhearted, and needs a visit from some ghosts.
    Soulpower, Elyria, Meneltel and 11 others like this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for all those affected, and I concur-- however, it seems to happen a lot in the gaming industry especially. I guess companies like to chop salaries by year-end so their new fiscal year plans look better?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

So sorry for those affected. Selfishly happy that "our" devs may not be affected.
  6. Xakrein Well-Known Member

I am not celebrating that some people lost their job, but it is hardly a surprise. It has been a while since SOE/DGC released a big money making blockbuster game. Having staff costs money, so to keep staff DGC needs to make money. However, if DGC can't release a good game, increasing the P2W aspects of their existing titles is not a viable method to keep the business afloat.

The article linked in the OP (LinkToVarietyArticle) contained a pearl that was allegedly tweeted by Smed:
    Smed: “Those are good people that should still be working there 10 years from now if things were being well run.”

It would appear that Smed is demonstrating a total lack of self-reflection. Using his own logic, if things were being well run, Smed would still be here running SOE, and all the people who lost their jobs on previous layoffs would still be working several years from now.

For perspective, Smed botched EQ2 before trying to milk it way too hard to fund other projects, abandoned The Agency, flopped Free Realms, lied to us about RMT/P2W, failed repeatedly with EQNext, deceived SOE customers with the Landmark project, dropped the ball with H1Z1, seen the company through a few notable bulk layoffs, then abandoned ship with a golden parachute after seeing the company sold off to Columbus Nova "Jason Epstein". All of that happened under his watch (includes what Smokejumper done), so Smed can't pass the buck. He has to wear it.

After all that, I can't think of any good reason Smed would think it is wise to preach on twitter about how things would be if things were being well run. I suspect this is Smed trying to convince himself that he was not a big part of the problem that led to where we are now.
    Aelfan, Feldon, Kheldar and 7 others like this.
  7. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

^ Well said.
    IMO the biggest turning point in this game was the introduction of Smedbucks, and of coarse who could ever forget Smokehumper:mad:
  8. Fistpower Well-Known Member

The downfall of eq2? Lets begin with 11 different community managers over 10 years and a current community manager that does not communicate with the communities in eq2, the LIVE server and the TLE server. At most she delete posts and bans people for having opinions.

If you dont have a community manager, how do you know what your players want? Oh thats right, you dont know so you make a game that you think they want.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

I have a pretty good idea who shutdown is I am guessing 1 of 4 people.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Kaid Member

I'm very sorry also to hear of people losing their jobs right before the holiday season. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the internal workings of a company I am not employed by myself though. The fact is, from the outside it is easy to armchair quarterback anything without actual facts to be calling plays by. So I don't think that is such a great idea personally.

Historical issues aside, the greatest problem today lies with financial issues outside the control of those working at DBG itself it appears at least.

My hope is that DBG is acquired by a larger entity that can bring a much needed infusion of cash to the company. I'd like to see Microsoft pickup the company for the valuable EverQuest IP myself. They are as some of you may know buying various companies now, such as Obsidian, to address their lacking first party portfolio on both the Xbox and Windows platforms. They have not been in the MMO space since Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 which were both good games in their day and for their day.

That's just wishing and hoping I guess but Microsoft has deep pockets and would spend the money to get the most out of their investment which would be good for us who enjoy being in the world of Norrath in general and this version of it in particular.

I have even wondered to myself if there isn't some internal interest at Microsoft in picking up both DBG and the developers of Pantheon which would set back that project's release date considerably but allow it to be not just a spiritual successor to EverQuest but a true one in every way, including the world and rich lore of Norrath.

If it sounds to good to be true? Yeah, probably it is but given the choice between optimism and pessimism, I like to choose choose optimism however unfounded. :)
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Kaid Member

Oh, I just want to add one other thing. It's easy and yes it is sometimes justified to feel frustrated or angry about things a company does. However, to lash out with unkind generalizations or attack particular individuals within the company really isn't constructive or helpful in any way at all. What is more, the reality is that you know precious little about the person you might choose to attack because of the way something appears to you.

Try a little kindness instead. You always get a lot farther with people this way. You can never, ever go wrong taking the high road. I forget this myself sometimes and then feel bad about it but honestly, this is a good thing to shoot for. There's a real person on the other side of every screen when you are writing things. Give them the benefit of the doubt at the least. Play nice.

In the spirit of this holiday season but also throughout the year, try to remember why we're all here - to have fun in each other's good company. That's what this is really all about and always has been. Remember the times we spent in camps killing stuff for hours on end when it was all about that time spent together talking, having fun, sharing the experience and magic of being in Norrath? It's good to try to blow off the issues sometimes that pale in significance to times like that, the times that really make this experience everything it can be.

Happy Frostfell everyone and many happy returns of the days too!
    Spindle, Elyria, Moonpanther and 7 others like this.
  12. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

“Really, really, really angry right now,” he wrote in a third tweet. “It’s December FFS and this is how you treat employees @DaybreakGames come on.” John Smedley

Firing good hard working people on December 7th. Someone at Daybreak either has a perverse sense of history, or no knowledge of history. Either way, sadly this makes it easier to remember this Christmas termination.

BTW people noticed.

EverQuest & H1Z1 company Daybreak suffer more layoffs
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/08/daybreak-game-company-layoffs/
    "It's the usual "optimising our structure" sort of reason."

Layoffs hit Daybreak; former boss says 70 lose jobs
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/7/18131459/daybreak-game-company-layoffs-san-diego-austin
    "estimated to be a third of its workforce"

Daybreak has its second major round of layoffs this year
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/daybreak-layoffs
    "Daybreak additionally tells Variety that the Austin, TX office will remain open, contrary to some early reports on social media"

Daybreak Game Company lays off staff
    Around 70 reportedly dismissed from H1Z1 development studio
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-07-daybreak-game-company-lays-off-staff

Daybreak has suffered another round of layoffs, between 60 and 70 people
    https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/07/...er-round-of-layoffs-between-60-and-70-people/
    "[Update] We now understand from sources that those laid off may have been working on a secret game with a top IP (at the Austin studio - now confirmed publicly by Variety). It sounds as if the core MMORPGs are safe."

Daybreak Studios Lays Off a Number of Staff in Company Restructuring
    https://www.dualshockers.com/daybreak-studios-layoffs-2018/
    "H1Z1 developer Daybreak Studios has reportedly laid off up to 70 employees (mostly in its Austin location)"

Just before Christmas, H1Z1 developer Daybreak suffers another round of layoffs
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-08-just-before-christmas-h1z1-developer-daybreak-suffers-another-round-of-layoffs
    "it's certainly depressing to hear of a studio suffer layoffs just before Christmas"
  13. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I guess the Grinch is running DBG now...
  14. Leed Active Member

It's happening in all industries. You even have companies like GM that spent 10 billion dollars buying back stock and bragging how much profits are up after the corporate tax cuts - turning around and firing people near the end of the year. If a company's doing good, if a company's doing bad, doesn't matter - they'll fire anybody they can and then expect those still there to take up the slack and work even more without any pay increase to compensate for the work increase (and they'll do it without regard to proximity to Christmas)
    Spindle, Moonpanther and Siren like this.
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

So glad I live in a country that has strong labour laws. There is no "fire at will" here; if redundancies are on the cards, there is a very strict consultation process (consulting with the affected staff) that has to be gone through and it takes time (i.e. months); we have a minimum wage of $16.50 per hour mandated by law; we have 4 weeks paid vacation mandated by law; a minimum of 5 days sick leave (again, mandated by law).

Laying people off 2 weeks before Christmas is cruel, plain and simple.
    Rosyposy and Pixistik like this.
  16. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

What country would that be?
    What country would that be?
  17. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

That would be New Zealand :)

(oh yeah, and the sick leave days are paid as well...)
    Rosyposy and Pixistik like this.
  18. Sikkun Member

It sucks and all, but being laid off at anytime would suck. Though if it’s actually layoffs (not being fired, there’s a difference). You would be able to file for unemployment. Also most likely have a severance package with the company (if they don’t and we are talking about software engineers, they had a crap package compared to the rest of the industry).

Nonetheless is sucks and multiple rounds of layoffs means the company isn’t healthy.

Certain people probably shouldn’t rant on Twitter about failed leadership. Then again if they didn’t rant on Twitter they might still have their leadership position.
    Rosyposy and Rhodris like this.
  19. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

The process for layoffs (aka redundancies) here takes months. Being fired also has a specific process that also takes time - very, very rarely can anyone just be fired on the spot (you have to have done something incredibly bad).

Totally agree with your paragraph 2.

Yes, being laid off at any time is pretty bad, but just before Christmas is just cruel.
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It is always extremely difficult to lose our friends and colleagues. Each one was dedicated and doing great work, and will be extraordinarily missed.

Daybreak remains dedicated to EQ2, and our plans for the game have not changed. Please have patience with us while we direct our attention to making sure those laid off land on their feet.
    Feldon, Siren, Cyrrena and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.