Tried beta, now my EQ2 folder has doubled in size

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Abuj, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Abuj Member

For the next expansion, I decided to try and join the Beta. Now, I switched to beta on the launchpad and the game started to download a massive amount of data. No problem, except that I couldn't log on. The game crashed, and always gave the same error. Ultimately, I decided to skip on Beta and just play again. I removed the Beta folder, switched back to my usual US-server on launchpad, but then the same download began again.

Now I've ended up with an EQ2 folder that is 33 gb in total, with a paks folder of 19,1 gb. Now, the game works well enough, but I seem to recall that before I tried out Beta, the EQ2 folder was about half that size. But I no longer see a Beta folder, so I'm not sure what the launchpad added to get to a total of 33 gb. Should I just delete and try to download the game again? I'm on a laptop with fairly limited harddrive, no real option to add a drive or the likes.

Can I remove the entire paks folder? Or is that folder needed to run the game? I tried google and also searched this forum, but did not find much on this issue.

Thanks in advance!
  2. gixxstiality New Member

is it a fairly new laptop I mean mine has like a 1tb ssd in it.
    Abuj likes this.
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

There should be a 'beta' folder in the main folder. It's a 'duplicate copy of everything' to beta. you can blow it away.

or you can blow everything but the launcher and re download what is necessary (NOT recommended)
    Abuj likes this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Beta is a whole second install. You get a Beta folder inside your main EQ2 install folder, and then it downloads the whole game, plus Beta changes, into that folder.

I'm going to guess you may have accidentally dragged the Beta folder into another folder in the EQ2 install directory. Take a look for it.
    Abuj likes this.
  5. Abuj Member

Thanks for the replies :) I checked the folders, but cannot find a beta folder anywhere. There are only two folders large enough to contain it (paks and assetcache), and those do not have anything but files in it.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Now that I can look at my folder structure, the file is called Betaserver.

PAKS and Music are the really huge files.
    Abuj likes this.
  7. Abuj Member

So the assetcache isn't a huge folder for you? That one's 12 gb for me. Definitely no betaserver file in there, only asset1 to asset7.vdb files.

I'll try and google those, see what I can find whether or not I still need those.

Thanks!
  8. Abuj Member

I know, full disclosure: it's a laptop from work. But I pay for it for personal use too. It does mean that I can't really alter anything in it.

I might try a separate drive, but not sure if I can install that properly.

This isn't really problematic, more a nuisance that I found odd.
  9. Thand Well-Known Member

you are using the Streaming client if the Asset cache is that large.
    For me my everquest directory with regular and beta is 46.3 gigs with the Beta Server folder being 21.8
    It seems as if the Streaming clients saves them Both in assets
    Abuj likes this.