Ethereal class runes creating a second class player base?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Lemon Wolf, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Heck62 Active Member

They aren't that good in most cases,I would not worry.
  2. kluxor Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the KA orange runes or was there some new summer ethereals this year that are insanely good? Asking because I'm considering coming back this expansion and missed everything in PoP
  3. Beee Well-Known Member

Within one of the last weeks of Summer Event 8x coins you had the possibility to earn 63 Planar Ethern Coins per instance.. or 7x 252 coins within a single week.

If you have not done this - you have to wait until the Planar Ethernal Coins get heirloom and for trade on the free trade server after November 13th. I bet this will happen ;)

So everyone who was willing to earn the Summer Event adornment could easyly have done this.
    Ashandra likes this.
  4. Moorefallen Active Member

you get a mastery Eth. from the POP line of quests, & other orange adornment drops from heroics, The event in question ran for a Long time There is no "easy path" to being on the top. You have to put the effort in.
  5. Mathafern Well-Known Member

IMO there should be some slow but steady way to get the coins even after the event- so that late comers and returners stand some chance of eventually getting the same gear.

Or make the gear/coin a random drop off some of the bosses for the appropriate content.

I agree that effort should be required- just not 100% attendance (or a time machine).
  6. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Eh, it is what it is. Unfortunately I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve had no computer or internet all summer preventing me to play so I probably won’t have these runes. If they truly are make or break as they’re perceived, then I guess my time in groups/raids are over. Like I said, it is what it is *shrug* I don’t expect to get a hand out just cuz I wasn’t there for the event.
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The thing is, the whole point of summer ethereals is to keep people playing through the summer. It would not serve its purpose is folks knew they could just ignore it and lazily play catch up later. Asking for ethereal coins after the event is like saying, "I can't be arzed to raid, but I think you should give me raid armor anyway".
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

People who don't play during summer probably don't play because they are doing family stuff or other important stuff. So Whatever keep ppl from playing during these low pop times are probably important enough that they can't attend the event anyway. So as much as its rewarding ppl who play during summer, it's also punishing ppl who vacation with their families. Can't believe how they'd think that is good for business. Surely there must be some way to meet in the middle in this argument.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

DBG is not a charity operation. They have to make money to keep the doors open and the devs paid. So if they run a promotion to keep people paying for subscriptions in the summer, it's a business decision based on the bottom line. It would be bad business to not do it the way they do.
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Pilarin Member

It's not the same at all. The raid zones stay open, you can do them whenever you want.
    I'm not sure at all keeping the ethereal stuff in game after the summer would reduce the summer population that much. People usually want the good stuff NOW, not later, so they would still be there trying to get them as soon as possible. Only the ones who can't or haven't even started playing would do it later.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I give up. /headdesk

The WHOLE POINT of summer ethereals is to get people to pay for subscriptions during the summer. Raids are not the same thing at all, and in fact, most raid guilds have problems keeping enough people on the roster over the summer to successfully complete raids.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Bisonhawk New Member

Making a game that's not in a good spot population wise even more difficult to get into is bad for everyone. I play this game mostly solo, but in other games I typically do raiding and such. Every time I think about playing this game longer than a month, I think of the grind to raid, and things like this, and it stops me. This game needs more people, so regardless of if this is how it's always been, maybe it's time for a change.

Limited time rewards are fine, but when they're tied to stat progression in some way, that's bad. Apparently I can basically never raid now except when a guild is strapped for people and are willing to take runeless folks, because some runes are that good. Kinda killed my motivation to try to raid next expac.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Before the BiS runes summer before this, ethereals were really spiffy, but pretty quickly got replaced in the new expansion. This summer's orange adorns frankly are awful for some classes The classes for whom the runes are insanely good, well, you never know what's going to be nerfed.

And it's just not true that all raid guilds require you to have ethereal runes. I know at least a few of the guilds/raid alliances in the top 20 on Maj'Dul don't have such requirements.

If you are trying for one of the competitive raid slots in a top 5 raid guild, well, it's on you to do what you have to to get the gear. If a single rune means you can't compete at all, then you need to sharpen your skills with that class, I think. I'd rather have a player who knows their class very well and plays it to its fullest than angst over whether they have one singular adornment.

Many guilds DID require people to have their heroic version of the Epic 1.0, and later the Epic 2.0. That's a reasonable expectation, because a player of the caliber to do one of the high end raids should be able to get themselves organized to run a couple of heroic zones, because after all, you have to run heroics to get those Planar Gems you use on T2+ raid armor molds.
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Bardonio Active Member

Just a heads up: this business model was created by the demand for best in slot items. It works regardless of you agree or disagree. Also, hitting level 110 grants you the old Kunark ascension orange adorn from that summer event. Play during the summer or don’t. If you don’t then that lack of effort will show without the runes from this past summer event. You could wait until next year when those runes will probably be given out due to people who want to get the best items for the least amount of work. Sorry to say, you snooze you lose. The business model is here and it’s staying. Something you don’t agree with and understandably so. It’s a choice. You chose poorly. I would have chosen differently. Ok, I did and now I’m reaping the benefits. Have to keep up with changes. You will still enjoy the game. You get what you put in.
    Dude, Sigrdrifa and Breanna like this.
  15. Austerity Member

In the livestream the devs said that the new xpac is intended for people to be able to just jump in and play end game. Based on what I heard, that means returning players and perhaps even brand new players should be able to gear up and raid. Isn't that the whole purpose of the free level boosts? However, anyone who comes in at the start of the new xpac will be at an instant disadvantage through most of the year because of the ethereal rune requirements. If they really wanted an xpac that welcomes back players who haven't been around for a while, or (gasp!) new players, they would offer enticements for the summer subs that will not effect an entire year of playing and raiding. Not a very good business model if you are alienating any possible new subs right from the start now is it?
    Tharrakor likes this.
  16. Breanna Well-Known Member

Playing end game does not necessarily mean Raiding. Raiding is a whole different ball of wax. Yes you can level to 110 and they give you armor so you can play the zones. No where did they say HEY buy this expansion and you can start raiding. Raiding takes time, effort and a lot of hard work, (and patience) By end game I think they mean they will give you the equipment and level you need to jump in and start playing. NOT RAIDING.
    Dude, Moorefallen and Sigrdrifa like this.
  17. Beee Well-Known Member

You will get a lv 110 boost (collectors editon) and free lv 110 gear. After finishing the solo signature qustline you will recieve the Epic 2.0 buff.

All this sounds very nice for new players.
  18. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Alright I'm not gonna bother anymore. I say "this is bad for business" and you respond with "dbg is not a charity operation". It tells me you don't even read the posts you quote.

If you and DBG think that a few extra subs for 2 months yield better pay then players coming back to buy the new expansion and play through the winter then fine, I believe otherwise but yes that's based on assumptions. I know only about me and my RL friends who left live not to return again because of DBGs shortsighted methods, ethereal runes only being one of several.
    Lemon Wolf likes this.
  19. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Yeah they make that sound all nice and dandy. They don't even mention all the RL cash they will need to spend on ascensions or the transfers and Kronos they need to buy to get the runes and all the cash they need to spend lvling familiars before those new or returning players are on the same playground as the others.

I remember when everyone started a new expansion with the same possibilities. Good days
  20. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Wrong. Raiding costs money. Those other things u mentioned, they belong in the past, and in that past the work and dedication you had to do WERE IN THAT NEW EXPANSION. A few exceptions ofc such as the mythical weapons and then ER etc etc. But those things were available in the game for everyone at all times!