Reading large numbers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Arcos, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Arcos Active Member

It's occurred to me that with such large numbers in the game now in the many millions e.g. heals, attacks etc, it would be very helpful, especially for those of us with fading eyesight, if commas could be introduced in the relevant places. So instead of "regenerates 10695423 points of absorption" perhaps we could see 10,695,423.
    Beee, Svenone, Pixistik and 7 others like this.
  2. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Yes, please! I have asked for this several times.
    Svenone, Pixistik, parissa and 4 others like this.
  3. Pilarin Member

10,695,423 is a list of values.

The accepted international standard for a thousand separator is a space if used at all. So correct would be 10 695 423.
  4. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

A comma would be better than a space for continuity. With a space you don't know which set of numbers (the 10, the 695 or the 423) belong to which value when it's all flying by you. With commas, it's easier to read quickly.
    GrunEQ, parissa and Lateana like this.
  5. Pilarin Member

I don't understand what situations make a comma easier to understand...anyway when I see a comma separated list I always interpret it as a list first. Then if I see the writer Is American I adjust and can decipher it as a numeric value with non-standard formatting.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Perhaps it's only those of us who are older with eyesight not as good as it used to be that find it difficult to quickly identify the numerical value (i.e. not a list) of attack and heal outcomes, especially in the middle of a fight. I find it slows me down to have to work backwards from the end of the number to get to the important bit at the beginning of the number. Commas make it easier to immediately identify and jump to the start. Commas are always (well, in my country they are) used in accounting for numerical values.

I find the way Americans write dates to be really weird. Why don't they do what the rest of the world does (probably the answer right there, actually) and write a date from the smallest increment of time to the largest, i.e. DD-MM-YY? It's much more logical and intuitive than MM-DD-YY.
    Lateana likes this.
  7. The Fonz Active Member

Numbers separated by commas every third char is not just an American thing.
  8. Fistpower Well-Known Member

Or do what ACT added two months ago.

Use shortened numbers and suffixes. IE, one million may be displayed as '1000K' or '1.00M' depending on personal preference.
  9. Arcos Active Member

What is an American thing then, just a long series of digits with no separators? Commas is a UK thing and we do play the game here, not all EQ2 players are in the US. I'm sure the devs have considered this before and just wondered with the new expansion coming whether something could be done to improve things. Seriously, damage numbers are now reaching the billions - and I know US and Europeans have differing views on what constitutes a billion.
    Lateana and Rhodris like this.
  10. Arcos Active Member

I have to admit that I've only just noticed that the graphic figures produced while healing or otherwise on screen do now have commas, I'm not sure for how long. It would seem a simple matter to produce the same result in the chat window.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Some countries use commas, some use periods, and some use spaces.
  12. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I don't bother reading them... wait... do I even DO big numbers? *shrugs* As long as the boss dies and we don't (that can happen with us, you know) we don't care who did how much.
    Kheldar and Pixistik like this.
  13. The Fonz Active Member

I said is not just an American thing. Translation = countries other than the US use commas too, which you also stated.
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

Month Day Year yes yes that is the way to go we say October 22, 2018 sounds much better than 22 October 2018 ;) We also drive on the right side of the road not the wrong side, and Roundabouts are the worse thing ever invented.
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I'm a historian (albeit in New Zealand, an ex-British colony) - we ALWAYS write dates as 23 October 2018. Never with the month first. So much more logical. Bit like decimalisation as well. I think America is the only country still working in miles, pounds (weight, not currency) and gallons (happy to be corrected if not). The rest of us use kilometres, kilograms, and litres.

Driving on the left vs driving on the right - just what you get used to. Half the world drives on one side, half drives on the other. I would never drive in Europe or the US, but have happily driven around Australia and the UK.

Roundabouts are AWESOME, when everyone understands the rules. Keeps traffic flowing properly. Our traffic lights are on poles though, not suspended above the road on wires (this has caught me out on the Capthcha thingamie a few times).
    Eradani likes this.
  16. Korucuu Well-Known Member

For a quality of life improvement, I would be 100% for this. Be it gaps, be it commas, be it whatever, make it so :p

Rhodris and GrunEQ like this.
  17. Unayan Active Member

Liberia, Myanmar & the U.S. don't use the metric system. The U.S. military does use Kilometers instead of miles however.
    Rhodris likes this.
  18. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Most of the world may be on the metric system, but America is not one in the flock of sheep (more like a wolf on the outside, but that's for a different thread). Our system works well enough and yet we also do use metric system. Take a look at a can of food or a bottle of milk, its ALSO has the metric measurements on them (usually). We use both, just we use the old system more predominately. I am fine with that. Like someone once said as he looked a spray can "New and improved? What were we using before... Old and lousy?" Change is good IF there is a good reason to make the change... besides more profit for the company and lower quality for the consumers. Besides, easy to remember: A liter is just over a quart. There you go. That and a Kilometer is 5/8ths of a mile. Oh and a meter is 3 feet and 4 inchs left over. Close enough for government work.
    Blazen likes this.
  19. Eradani Well-Known Member

in canada, we're "supposed" to use day/month/year but being next door neighbors to the u.s, i really have no idea what people mean when they say 10/11/2018.

i like the programmers format best: 4-digit year/month/day as it sorts properly and i can't imagine anyone ever using year/day/month so it's totally unambiguous. 2018/11/10

as to the o.p: 298347290 is just a pita, 290000000000 is even more of a pita. please , or . every 3 digits plz
    Rhodris and Curby like this.
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If its spoken in the UK and Ireland, 22 October would be said as the 22nd of the tenth.
    Rhodris likes this.