Ethereal class runes creating a second class player base?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Lemon Wolf, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Lemon Wolf Member

Hello.
    A while ago i voiced my concerns about the ethereal class runes and decided to take a break for a while to see how things would develop.
    Today i asked around and all my previous concerns were confirmed.
    I would really like to see a dev explain why they added class changing runes and tied them to a timed event.
    People who couldn't participate in the event or just missed it are at a permanent disadvantage now. They can not catch up through progression. This in essence creates a second class player base because in the end those without the rune will get the short end of the stick when it comes to groups and raids.

Why for heavens sake would you add something like that? It creates a huge and unfair imbalance. Is the amount of returning / semi active people so low that they simply dont care? I really would like an answer to that before i decide to quit for good after 13 years. Will this be a permanent thing? Will other players get the chance to catch up?
    I would like the devs to give me and any other returning players a good reason to return.

I am specifically annoyed about the warden rune (my main is a warden). I talked to several people and they confirmed that its more or less a must have item. Great. No matter how much one would play, it would not be possible to catch up.
    Please no flame or something like that, i think this is a valid concern and it should be addressed properly.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  2. Priority Well-Known Member

I dont get how you're even complaining about not having the rune. You say in your post you decided (this implies willingly) to stop playing during the summer event, thus not obtaining the coins needed for the runes. What are you upset about?
  3. Eradani Well-Known Member

maybe because all the people who weren't high enough to get this or are new or are returning after the event can now never get it
  4. Priority Well-Known Member

The player I quoted and asked actively chose NOT to participate. The question was directed at them. It's an event geared toward keeping players engaged through the summer. It's not meant to a forever kind of thing..
  5. Lemon Wolf Member

I stopped playing when i realized that i will not be able to reach the required amount of coins.
    But that is besides the point, the way how the runes came into existence and how they were implemented is of priority here.
    Really?
    Did you read what i said about the imbalance those runes create?
    That people who missed it, semi actives and new players will be at a permanent disadvantage because they cant close that gap through progression and that they will get the short end of the stick with groups and raids. Adding class changing items is perfectly fine (with achievement unlocks for example) as long as all players can get them through playing at all times, not just in a timed event. But this rune stuff added all kinds of problems. Dont you see whats happening here?
    Please read my first post entirely. I did not expect to repeat myself so early in the discussion.
    Tharrakor and Eradani like this.
  6. Priority Well-Known Member

You didn't even try, and you're angry you don't get the rune? Lots of sympathy there. Game rewards time spent in game. Sorry you didn't spend any this summer. Runes are pretty nice though.
  7. Breta Well-Known Member

I believe that Priority is either clueless or more likely wants the new or returing players to never be able to catch up, cause they did not put in the effort during the summer.

On the other hand DBG's position is pretty clear. They want the returning players to xfer to IoR and buy the etheral tokens with krono money.
    Tharrakor and Ursa Minor like this.
  8. Stibbie Member

I was able to do the ethereal event, get the runes and gear and I completely agree with the original poster!! These items are absolutely necessary and any player without them is at a disadvantage as well as anyone grouping or raiding with them. These items should be available to all players. Whether it's through an achievement or a grind. These items behind a time-locked event not only hurt the individual player who was unable to participate but others who play with them. I understand the desire to create interest in keeping people playing during the summer with other activities occupy their spare time, however, the developers need to keep in mind that it's not only recreation that keeps people away but jobs as well. Some professions require long hours in the summer. These people and other players should not be punished. At this point in the game, we should be encouraging returning players as much as possible.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  9. Revanu Well-Known Member

So basically the entire premise of this post is to bellyache about purposefully not doing the summer event( keep in mind it’s been like this for years, granting bis stuff) then complaining about why it’s unfair. Wow. What a brain burner. It’s like a car sales event, you know the sale is happening, you have the money and the intent, but you opt not then you complain when sale ends that it’s undair to you as the customer? Get a grip. If you wanted to runes you would have grinded it out. In the last week of the event some you could have made enough coins to get all runes and all armor to lvl 5. You are your own enemy on this. Not your preconceived idea that it’s unfair to new players. Guess you’ll just have to xfer to ior and buy them off the broker. I know I’ll personally have 2k of them listed and I only ran the event with 2 toons maybe a few times a week. Be proactive and not reactive. You’ll see clearer and complain less. Then again I cry when I chose not to participate then don’t get to bask in the fruits of my labor. Oh nvm.
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  10. Revanu Well-Known Member

Ask, if you are starting game for first time, why should a past event, regardless of reward or its application to game be available to you? What logic can you find in retroactively rewarding something to someone who wasn’t around when it was in motion? Please enlighten me
  11. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Because returning players and new players will not stay when they realize they can never catch up to those who happened to play during the specific event? Only an idiot would not see how bad that is for business and only an idiot would think that this game doesnt need new or returning players. Wonder who is self entitled here.

Carrot to play during summer doesn't have to be make or break for ur character now and in the future, that is the entire point.
  12. Flipouille Member

It is not the summer event which is in question, but the reward. Imagine a second it was the epic weapon/buffs: hey new player, no matter what you do you'll never get it, cause you missed the time it was up! Well, then let me play something else, cause I'll never catch up...
  13. Dilon Active Member

I understand both sides of this issue. I returned to the game last November after more than 7 years away. When I returned I didn't even know about Epic 2.0, summer coins, or ascension. After going through old content, then doing the PoP quest lines and catching up, I found out about the sathirian runes in February or so. As a DPS who wanted to raid and who was used to be competitive on the parse, I was disappointed. One rune I needed was +15 fervor and another was +150 fervor to fusion. Both were/are essential.

But at the same time I understand that it would be ridiculous to expect a player who was out of game for 7 years to out-parse players who have been through the content. So I sucked it up and did the IoR transfer and got my runes that way.

I do feel a bit for those who are returning to the game in timing with the new expansion. Unless they go the IoR route they will not be able to get the many benefits of runes and gear. On the flip side I understand and respect the decision of DBG to incentivize players to stay in game during what is often a dead period in game. I would imagine that, unlike players returning to the game after the event is over, the players who were in game while the event was live are a bit thankful that so many people were running zones they would have had no need to run otherwise. I can say for certain that since Labor Day I personally have not done a single weekly T1, T2 or EH run. Without needing the coins there is no reason to. And I'm sure there are many like me.

Frankly, I find what you're complaining about to be really, really silly. You knew the event was coming, You knew from past events that the rewards would be worthwhile. And you skipped it. All 15 weeks of it, including the x4 weeks of which there were several and the x16 week to finish. The x16 week alone might have gotten you nearly everything you needed, certainly every rune. And yet here you are complaining that you did not reap the benefit of an event that you did not participate in.

Hope you enjoyed your summer. The coin event was certainly a grind. If you want to be on level with those who ran it, go buy the coins.
  14. Dilon Active Member

But, this isn't true. What you are complaining about is not reality. There is a way for you to get coins, maybe not at this exact moment but history suggests that the coins will go heirloom and you will be able to buy them on IoR. Now, you may not like this alternative but that does not make the point any less true. It is not the case that a player who missed the timeframe will "never get" the coins.
  15. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

First of all are you drunk? You start off saying that you understand both sides of the issue and halfway down ur post you say that you find what the OP is complaining about silly. So you do not understand both sides of the issue or you did understand both sides of the issue but ur memory is extremely short.

Personally I stopped playing halfway thru ToT because I got burned out on it. Came back to KA to play the new xpac and found out about these runes, the p2w acsension and the changed to Tithe. I stayed in ToTs contested zones a few hundred hours to catch up on Tithe and to get the runes but they never dropped, not once. Then they destroyed experience in there and I thought enough is enough. I'm not the only one and they are loosing customers because of this crap and you guys are loosing other players to play with because of crap like this. If you guys don't mind the population rapidly dying out then dine argue for ur precious "make or break" summer rewards. Just loosen ur grip around ur ****** for a minute and think about it.
  16. Dilon Active Member

I feel that I made my point pretty cogently but I will distill it down further.

I empathize with people who missed the event because of when they returned to the game. But I understand and respect the justification behind this. The OP chose to skip the event and is now complaining about not having the rewards for an event they chose not to do, which I find silly.

You have been extremely aggressive in this thread and I will not reply further to you.
  17. Lemon Wolf Member

I dont get it. Why cant you guys see the real problem here? Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand what i write?
    Maybe you can spend endless hours playing the game, but there are people out there that are very busy working. Did that ever occur to you?
    Why should i reward DBG with money for this?
    Btw you missed the entire point of this thread. Its not about the stupid event its about putting players in a bad position. You simply cant catch up. And no spending hundreds of Dollars/Euros on the free trade server is not a valid option. Putting players in a position where they need to get an item for potentially several hundred Dollars to compete is pay to win at best and deception at worst. Its just bad to alienate parts of the player base like that. Whats next? Epic weapons for 1000$?
    And what if the coins sell out? What then? When that moment arrives it would truly be the beginning of a second class player base.
    No you dont.
    Thats crazy. Why did you do that? Dont you realize that you were being used?
    Yes imagine that. They wont be able to compete and might stop playing. I am sure that will be great for business.
    You mean you understand their choice to more or less extort people. Either pay the money on the free trade server or you cant compete.
    Complaining about them putting players at a permanent disadvantage is really really silly?
    No i didnt skip it on purpose, i was too late and wasnt able to catch up.
    Ashandra, Eradani and Curby like this.
  18. Xyza Member

and nonsense like this is why I simply choose not to return to live.....
    Ashandra likes this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Everybody having a hissy, wait until the next expansion before you start flipping tables, please. The end of the sig line gave me a weapon better than my Mythical Epic 2.0. The new gear has blue (not cyan) adorn slots, so you can pretty much guess that quibbling over orange adorns will soon seem as odd as having a heated argument about red adorns.
  20. Ogdinmar Active Member

Actually that's not true gear in the new xpac has orange slots. weapons have a blue in addition to the orange. So yes oranges are still relevant.

Just like every ethereal event some people choose not to participate and others simply miss it. it happens. At least you can get your old class rune for hitting 110.