Returning player

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by AverageJoe, Aug 15, 2018.

1. AverageJoe New Member

Have played on and off for years, wanting to get back into playing.
    Currently main a ranger, and wanting to know what all I need to do to get back into the swing of things. I’ve been away so long I have no idea where to begin.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The answer to this really depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you want to group and/or raid, I would look up the Scout Epic 2.0 line and start completing that, there is faction grinding in Kylong Plains, and Fens of Nathsar that must be completed and one in Butcherblock that must be completed as well. Sometimes it appears daunting, but it really is not, it just requires a mindset of "I am going to finish these factions".

If grouping/raiding is not your ultimate goal, just start using the chronomentor and level down and start completing things that you didn't do before.

Whatever your goal is, just have fun and enjoy the journey, play your character your way, whatever it is that you enjoy.

Welcome back!! If you land on AB or were already landed on AB, send me a tell or in game mail if you need assistance.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. AverageJoe New Member

Thank you, and I mostly play solo, but I’m not sure what zones or quest lines I need to complete to get gear and what zones I need to be running.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Just play to have fun, once you have a better handle on the game and such, (as well as finding some friends or a decent guild to work with as the game is much more fun with friends!) the other stuff will follow.
    Cyrrena and Saw-Lau like this.
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

Depends what level you are too as to where you start. You can always hit a world bell or druid rings or spires and hover over a destination it will tell you what level that zone is. Then when you find a zone appropriate to your level just head there and start doing quest.
  6. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Start here - IF you have expansion - anyone returning level 100 needs to start here -
    1. Pick up level 100 freebie PoM gear, in PoM near wizard spires, next to the quest guy there in a chest.
    2. Sathirian language collection in Fens of Nathsir
    3. Cae'del language collection in OF - these 2 languages will let you talk to your ascension trainers.
    *****ANY freebie ascension levels should be thrown into geomancer unless you do KA or KA crafting line to get factions, because this ascension trainer is HARD to get to.
    IF you are a crafter - KA crafting line is worth doing. It gives you a portal to OF, a very nice mount, KA plant that gives harvests for KA and PoM, factions for all the ascension trainers, and even a mercenary if you want it. You have to do crafting epic and ToT crafting line in order to do KA crafting line.

No expansion? Not a crafter?
    1. Find a crafter that can make you PoM gear. Get dressed (this is lvl 100 only)
    2. Sathirian language collection - for the future, and/or epic 2.0 prerequisites

Not a crafter? forget your pipe dream about having epic 2.0 or follow this streamlined process, others may disagree but I find this the fastest for me and without a ton of work.......Of course I am working multiple characters, so it works for me this way. Also, I have done the bottom list on lvl 70s, all the way to the end. I will advise to be at least lvl 70, so you can do part 7.

1. If you are adventure lvl 4 or above, go see qho in isle of mara. get his quest
    2. Go to a city's newbie area, grab a quest from harvester there. Do both of those quests. Then do mender's quest. Make a charm
    3. Turn into qho the quest you have, and get his next one.
    4. Go to crafting area in a city. I prefer frostfang, cause you will end up there anyway. Do crafting tutorial quests to lvl 9, hail trainer, pick a choice, she makes u lvl 10. Go harvest second tier for Qho around city. When u finish, hold off on turning in. Check your mail, it will send you to a person in frostfang sea for more crafting quests. Do all of those. Hail crafting trainer again to ding lvl 20. Now you can leave, turn in to isle of mara, get the next quest
    5. Tier 3, Thundering steppes. - chrono down if u are not lvl 25 to lvl 25, collect giant idols, by killing giants, right click first one and accept the quest, get the other 5 idols. Harvest your stuff and go to Nektulous Forest around bone lake. Harvest your stuff over there. Turn in and go back to a crafting area or guild hall to do rush orders, burn off ALL of your vitality. Use your hammer of adept hands (claim item) to refill and burn that off too. With hammer u run out around lvl 40. Now park it a week. In the mean time, you can harvest up to fens of Nathsir or lvl 70.
    6. Each week, burn off your vitality on rush orders for crafting and use your hammer.
    7. Fens of Nathsir harvests - chrono down to lvl 70 or be lvl 70, get your bathezid watch faction by doing the adventure quests there that give only 5k faction. Ignore the others. No need to repeat these. Just once per 5k quest.. They will attack you before that, so fly above them if you can or kill them. Also while here, get your Sathirian language by doing the collection. Don't forget to grab your harvests for qho either
    8. Harvest for qho until there is no more you can do (he gives you a cloak) this means you have to be lvl 90 crafter to go further.
    9. If you have been doing number 6, you will end up being lvl 90 at some point, you go back to isle of mara. finish off that quest. Go to velious, check your mail and follow the instructions, bam u have a pack pony.
    10. Keep doing number 6, until you are lvl 100 , you can then start your PoP line, for crafting epic. you can also go to the ethernere and get your pack pony upgrade. You have the option to do ToT and KA crafting line, and you can do PoM first or last, depending how fast you want to get crafting to 110. PoM line gets you from 100 to 110. So no need to do rush orders after 100.
    Before level 100 adventure - Any prerequisite you can do for epic 2.0 is fantastic.
    After lvl 100 - to level - PoM questline this will open zones for you also on your entire account and get you to 110.
    If this seems overwhelming, keep in mind, I use a day I'm off work to get up to number 6, then each of this is by the week.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

I have played till 2015, I took often breaks but always came back. But now coming back is impossible ans the game had become one of the worst pay2win example. So I advice to play on the TLE which is still nice even if we have a bit of p2win features (familliars).

A simple and quick look at their web page advertising to get players back will convince you that it is an insane grind. They themselves claim it : you have to grind deity points, ascenssion levels, runes and on top you have to rank your items.

Best is to pay (since the TLE is not F2P) and to create a toon on fallen gate.

Note that playing 1-90 or 1-100 on live could be a possibility but sadly they made gear so insane that you will 2 shot even con ^^^ and your mercenary will one shot them.
    Meneltel likes this.
  8. Abuj Member

Kind of depends on your main's level. I've returned earlier this year after not playing for four years and found so many changes, yet ultimately, things aren't that confusing. Try and find a good guild, they can swiftly aid you too for the good place to quest and such.

If you are above 90, but not 100, then you're first task is to lvl up to 100. After that, don't bother with the older zones for xp and head to the Plane of Magic. The stats and required xp change so radically, you can do hundreds of older quests without gaining a lvl after 100. There's a nice chest at the zone in, with much needed gear to be able to quest in that zone. Don't go further without that, it's impossible to do.

Things that puzzled me to no end coming back:

Prices at the broker. You'll find those to be insane, compared to a couple of years ago. 9.999 plat for an update for a spell, to expert lvl, but still. Master versions can go for well over 100.000 plat. Don't worry about that, though, you don't need that much from the broker. Don't forget research for your spell updates. It takes time, but nothing more than that. Also, the daily objective quest is a slow but steady source of income. If you are a full member, you get two loyalty tokens every time you complete it, and you can buy a bag of 500 plat for five of those tokens. Not much, but it does add up.

Familiars. Not sure if you knew of these before leaving in 2015. Those did not exist when I left and I did not know of them untill quite a while after coming back. A simple daily quest can get you free familiars. Pets with benefits. Usually stat boosts, not all that grand, but easy enough to get and every little bit helps to boost the stats.

Speaking of stats, those can seem insane after you hit lvl 100 and get the lvl 100 gear set. Over 10 million hp is nothing. Potency becomes very important (not sure if that still is the case, though, apparently there have been changes) and having over 40k of it is again nothing. You'll do damage like it's for free, but ofcourse the mobs in the newer zones have tons of hp. It's all fairly meaningless, the large numbers, ultimately you'll take down mobs as fast or slow as before.

Fast travel. Only if you are a full member, but oh so very handy. You'll see a sort of helmet like symbol on the top left of the screen of your map. Click on it and you'll see all the destinations you can go to on the spot. Not all are available that way, but most are. Very, very handy.

Mercenaries can be trained now, up to lvl 10 I believe. They can also wear special merc-only equipment. A good merc is always handy to have, and with boosted stats, they are even handier.

Tithe and diety abilities. Again not sure when exactly this was added, but you can find a diety screen where you can 'buy' spells. Not the most useful ones I guess, but still nice to have. You can also 'infuse' armour this way. You will often get infuse items as quest rewards. Armour can be infused to boost certain stats.

Way too much, I guess, and I've probably not told you much new or clear here I'm afraid :D Best tip I can give you, or repeat anyway, is to find a guild ingame. Most players are veterans and can no doubt assist you to get back into things!

Above all else: have fun!
  9. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Merc will wear gear you get from mobs and dungeons, I have gotten some 110 gear from experts and thrown them on my favorite mercs, even thrown the oh so plentiful bruiser monk gear on a SK and watched her stats go up. Just a thought to pass along.
    Saw-Lau and Breanna like this.
  10. theafm New Member

Welcome back I hope your stay in Norrath will be worthwhile.
    Saw-Lau likes this.