price of Ascentions with DBC

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zekador Splitpaw, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Zekador Splitpaw New Member

Is there any chance you could do some Triple DBC weekends like sony used to do back in the day? as the price of buying ascentions is in my opinion ridiculous. for me to buy the main ascention spells for my class it will cost me close to £800 ($1060)
    I mean i know that people can upgrade them for free but each spell can take i think its around 3 -4 months to research and i havent EVER seen a ascention page drop since they was launched.

Ascentions are a huge part of the game now for end game content. and lets face it if you did one of those weekend you would most likely see a huge boost in sales of DBC from people like me that want to get their ascentions sorted.

Am i the only person who thinks this is a good idea??
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely. DGC is hurting for money.
    CoLD MeTaL and Rhodris like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Double or triple DBC is pretty much a thing of the past. Sales and rebates have been how it's worked for several years now.
    Lucus and Rhodris like this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

I am of the opinion it's best not to encourage them by buying the stupid upgrades in the first place. But it seems I might be in the minority about that at this point in the game.
    Tkia, Sigrdrifa, Dude and 4 others like this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Finora, I agree with you.
    Sigrdrifa, Rhodris and Mermut like this.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

And me!
  7. Clarebare New Member

I agree. If they cannot or will not give us breaks on buying station cash from time to time they need to lower the cost of the ascension spells. They make it super hard for returning players to catch up especially when dps is now determined by those spells not your class spells. People come back and see the time involved and leave again. Make upgrading ascension more viable. Put new books out that use celestial pages like the newer level spells. Increase the drop rate. For Gods sakes I can't even get a greater to drop to finish upgrading my epic 2.0 spells.
  8. semisus Does not play this game

If you have the ka sigline completet you can get the solo quest called for the emperor and do the pq daily ( or more ) to try and get the greater fragments
    It can be spawned every 30 mins and with quest you get double reward but you can still hang around and wait for someone to spawn it for 1 reward
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Fragments are for epic 2.0 abilities, not ascension abilities.
  10. semisus Does not play this game

and thats the post i replied to
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I will not pay to upgrade anything. If the game sunsets before I get them leveled, so be it.
  12. Meneltel Well-Known Member

If it sunsets before I get my epic 2.0, I wont cry over it either
  13. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Someone at the company should be taking note and scrambling to address this. Are they? Do they care? What is the actual goal here if they're not? Things that make you go hmmmmother ******!
    Mizgamer62, Gillymann, Tkia and 2 others like this.
  14. Kalika Well-Known Member

Their plan is apparently to have 10 players left paying 1000 dollars a month, from the forum activity which is now close to zero we can conclude that this plan is quite successful. Other companies have a different goal, like having 100 000 players paying 20 dollars a month.
    Mermut, Soara2, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  15. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Economists differentiate two preference sets:

1. Public preferences - what people say they want.

2. Revealed preferences - preferences people keep private but are revealed by the actions they take.

After three'ish years of DBG, don't think it's real hard to reason out the preference order of management

Edit: the same holds true for players. I'm confident there are people complaining about cash shop coercion who are none the less, buying character progression.

If enough people stopped buying this stuff, then DBG would have no incentive to design the game the way they are.

Additionally, if everyone suddenly decided to stop spending money in the cash shop, I wager the game would simply be sunset.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm not sure how you conclude this. There are plenty of new posts and replies daily. Furthermore, only a tiny percentage of the players ever bothers to visit the forums , and that has been the case for as long as there have been EQ2 forums.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Breanna Well-Known Member

Totally agree Sigrdrifa. I've played a little over 13 years and just now started coming to the forums.
  18. Castegyre Well-Known Member

This is interesting. So, only a small percentage of the player base posts on the forums and this has always been the case. I agree. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is true of every gaming community I have followed or been a part of for the last two decades in regards to these games. What that percentage is might change situationally, but it does seem to be a small one.

The phrase "plenty of posts" is subjective to the point of uselessness. We'd need hard numbers from SOE and DBG to really quantify both how many posts there are as well as how many unique posters there are in a specific time frame. Still, I think it might be generous to say that these forums at this point are getting, what, 50-75 unique posts a day, and many of those are from the same people posting multiple times?

If we make it an average 75 posts a day, which I still think is generous, then what percentage of the player base does that represent? Is it 3%, 5%, maybe as high as 10%? Whatever the small percentage of the player base it is that people could agree upon without solid numbers from the company, then what does that say about the size of the player base as a whole?

If less than a year ago this forum had well over a 150 posts a day, and a year before that maybe over 300 a day, and the relative small percentage of the player base that uses the forums remained roughly the same, then what does that say about the state of the overall player base over time? Granted, I'm guessing at and simplifying the numbers. I suspect the decline has actually been worse, but we'll never know unless the company shows us the numbers.

Either way, this argument does not make the situation look good. If anything, it seems you're tying to point out how bad the situation is in a back handed way.

We can go even further than that, though. There are people on these forums who like to claim that the reason no one posts here is because of the hostile, toxic, trolls that frequent the place. Well, two things with that. First, welcome to pretty much every gaming forum ever. Second, anyone who think the state of the current forums is that bad has either no real history or recollection of the forums in past years, or is making stuff up to help them feel better about the situation. Disagreement is not hate to toxicity. There is very little in the way of real trolling or hating here these days, but does anyone remember the forums from eras like the Freeport forums, when the game went free to play, when server mergers happened, almost every time high end content came out or PvP was involved and whole threads turned in to an epeen waving contest, etc? What was going on then would have melted the faces off of the people crying toxic now, yet there was still hundreds or thousands of posts per day.

There are the arguments that the forums and the game are slow because it's the (weekend/holiday/summer/etc) so people are too busy. Yes, they are too busy playing other games where the (weekend/holiday/summer/etc) sees and increase in players for nearly every other game and gaming community.

There are games where 50-100 posts a day would be impressive to me. There is no other supposedly AAA titles where this few active posters a day wouldn't ring alarm bells. Even second string MMOs tend to get more attention. I've seen sub reddits for niche playstyles for some games and fan sites that get more average traffic at this point than this forum seems to be getting. It doesn't reflect well.

Again, it would be nice for the company to provide actual numbers. I imagine they never will, though, for whatever reasons. If they were going to do so then they probably would not have reacted the way they did to the Wire potentially mining some of that information itself. So, we are left with what we can see. Maybe 75 posts on the forums a day. An understanding that the forums only represent a percentage of the player base, but that is historically consistent. So, what is the percentage, how screwed are we? I know you don't have an educated answer to that. Unfortunately, I doubt the people who do will ever answer.
    Kalika, Tekka, Mermut and 6 others like this.
  19. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Sell faction. Sell timeline and hq flags. I don't care. Just sell it all or nothing. Pick. I'm sick of both ways crud
  20. Castegyre Well-Known Member

It's always disappointing when I go back and read something I wrote and find over a dozen different typos and errors. Hopefully the point was clear enough regardless.
    Gillymann likes this.