Luv me...hate me..the ...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by rutro, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Me, the merc or the friend I group with. If you read my earlier post, I said "Yes, it's been a loooooong time since last I grouped with other than a friend." So I don't group with more than a single other person, and it is that situation (grouping with several others and/or raiding) that I was referring to (where you would traditionally have the 'trinity').

My apologies if it wasn't clear.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Well, this is where I "got the idea".....
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Nothing pisses me off more than a healer or tank who advertises themselves as a healer or tank and then prioritizes DPS over doing their job. Sure, do what you can with what you have when you can, but do your ******* job first. 20 years and more games, it's a plague to many player bases that never seems to die.
    Rhodris likes this.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Ive played the other game-that-is-not-to-be-named as a healer some time ago and had groups try to kick me for being low dps… until the tank reminds them that someone has to be low dps and it should be the healer! Just be glad the healer DOES any dps unless the group is so overgeared for the area that the tank self heals and needs no help from the healer. Ive been in groups where I died because the healer was too busy trying to help kill mobs to do their job. Even with me using health potions and other abilities while waiting for the heals. And I wasn't the first to die! I wish that DPS charts were forbidden and broken. If the boss dies and we don't, we are doing fine. If the boss killed us, then we need to do something different. Or need more gear or something.

I wont even start on gearing in EQ2 at this time. Its becoming a job and jobs aren't fun!
    Juraiya and Rhodris like this.
  5. Tekka Well-Known Member

I think part of the disagreement in general, if I've read this right, is that many healers now prioritize DPS over heals in a lot of cases - I mean if you DPS it down faster, you don't need to heal... right?

I've actually heard that argument, by the way, from a healer in my group and this was years ago back when the Freeport server was shiny and new (and still in beta). With the passage of years, and some of the changes made to the game, as well as dps parses being run on every. single. fight. I can only imagine this is a more common mindset.

Healers who focus on healing in a group generally rely on their group to kill mobs, and throw in DPS when they can.

Healers who solo a lot generally resign themselves to killing things slowly (comparatively speaking).
    Rhodris and Meneltel like this.
  6. quisling Well-Known Member

I guess it was the word "prioritized" that confused you.
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

No, it was where you said that a healer who isn't doing dps ain't doing their job. Their job is to heal. /shrug
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

In the old paradigm where the trinity (tank, heal, DPS) ruled, that would be true. The advent of ascensions and the elimination of the need for tanks destroyed that. Now everyone's primary role is DPS with some classes adding other skills ... like healing.
    Tekka likes this.
  9. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I remember several years ago when I was grouping with a new group, and they posted a parse after every battle. My main is a warden, and I was the group healer (I think I was the only healer in the group), and I was almost consistently the lowest on the parse. After several battles I privately messaged a friend in the group and asked if it was a problem that I was at the bottom of the parse. She assured me that as the healer - and since I was using group HOTs along with full heals on the tank - that the fact that they weren't dying but were all staying at full health through every battle meant that I was doing my job just fine, and not to worry about the parse.

In the PQs at the time, though (this was when DoV was just out), it was almost more necessary to DPS than anything else, as healing was hardly necessary, particularly in Ring War. So when people posted a parse for that and I was always mid-range, that often bothered me.

My warden now does fairly good DPS, but some of my other healers (I have many of them) aren't so great at it. And yes, I do resign those characters to killing things more slowly when I solo, compared to my scouts and mages. That's just the way it is, especially for a Templar.

I suspect that Rhodris plays just fine, and knows what she is doing. Healers should never be focusing on DPS, and I really don't think anyone here actually believes that they should. (Although throwing some debuffs on a mob when they get a chance also adds to their value!)

ETA: That attitude of "You don't need to heal if you DPS it fast enough" is the attitude that a friend of mine actually has. But it's one reason he really doesn't care for his healers as much as his scouts, because that isn't the right attitude to have if you're a healer.
    Breanna, Rhodris and Tekka like this.
  10. quisling Well-Known Member

That isn't what i said.
    "if all youre doing is spamming heals, you probably ain't doing your job."

Is what i said. Mindlessly overhealing your merc (who probably doesn't notice you not helping, much less care) and recasting heals on a toon that is full health or in no danger of dying means you ain't doing your job. Since, I made the mistake of talking about something other solo zones I will apologize for not offering context leading to your vehement defense of your spamming heal technique.
  11. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Merc does his own thing - he never gets healed.
    And you have NO idea what my healing technique, or playing technique, actually is. You are, however, quite incorrect.
  12. quisling Well-Known Member

Lol so not only are you not helping kill the mob, you don’t even heal the merc who IS killing the mob.
  13. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Quisling, you are jumping to conclusions. Those who jump to conclusions often have to walk back. Let her play how she wants, its HER account, after all. She doesn't tell you how to play, you shouldn't tell her!
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Yep, you are indeed jumping to conclusions.

Meh, whatevs. Everyone else in this thread understood exactly what I was saying.

You have yourself a lovely day/evening/night, whatever time it is where you are.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

The thing is.. healing isn't the healers ONLY job any more.. just tanks need to do more then hold aggro and take hits.
    In current level content, the dps checks are set that EVERYBODY needs to be doing some dps.
    No, a healer shouldn't prioritize dps over keeping the group alive and cured, but they DO need to consider their dps and spend some thought and effort on doing it well.
    Note: I don't think healers should bending over backwards to keep dps who constantly pulls mobs because they can't or won't control their aggro alive. I know there are healers that disagree with me, but I prefer NOT to encourage 'bad' behavior in people I group with

Edit: I love my healers, but I would find spamming heals and cures the whole time extremely boring. Unfortunately I fear that's where the devs may be pushing healing/healers with their %based heals 'experiments' :(
    Tekka, quisling and Rhodris like this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Even soloing I'd think you'd want to maximize your DPS because d'oh, killing stuff by yourself. I periodically sit down and refigure cast orders for all my toons.

You can also improve the heck out of gear by infusing it. I salvage all the junk loot I get, then make Reconstructed Planar Infusers. You can infuse quite a lot of STA, POT, ABMod, and CB. The higher the STA, the easier soloing is because you have more hitpoints. The higher the POT, the better your heals, cures, and spells work. Etc.
  17. Nelie Well-Known Member

I have help mentor MANY healers. The BIGGEST thing for any healer to do is NOT take things personally when they are asked to provide -some- sort of DPS. Now, are we asking for 20 Billion dps? No. I have had a few healers be offended when I have asked if they would just simply turn on auto attack. I even explained in great detail that the auto attack is....well...automatic.
    I also explain to people that if a healer's job is to ONLY heal, then tanks ONLY taunt, chanters ONLY power feed, bards ONLY buff. It simply isn't true. You see tanks/chanters/bards trying to improve their numbers and become a better player just like healers should. If other people of your class can do multiple things, why can't you at least try to utilize your class to it's fullest potential?
    If you think I wasn't in the same position of people that are healers being told to DPS, you are wrong. I joined into HC raiding sometime around DoV all the way until sometime in ToV. I had a casual mindset of "oh, my job is to only heal". I was wrong. My raid leader pulled me aside and had asked me, "Why do you only want to heal when your class has a bunch more potential?". I at first took the advice as insulting and did feel bad....but, as I said above, it shouldn't be taken personally for someone wanting to help improve the potential of your character. Today, I love competing against healers on DPS while I heal.
  18. Nelie Well-Known Member

Potency doesn't effect cures
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

And while potency does, techinically, help heals, in effect it doesn't because health pools are so low compared to potency/cb values.
  20. rutro Well-Known Member

what awesome wisdom...thank all of you for your insight :)